Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 8/08 DONE! link to pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 6/12 reworked switches

tanksalot said:
All I can say is wow ! Thats really cool but I get a headake just thinking about how much work that was .. :D

Well, it wasn't as much work as it was planning it out. I removed and replaced the brake levers probably 30 times! The planning took a while, but the actual amount of work was pretty small.

It's not something most people will notice so I would guess the bang for buck ratio is pretty low... As opposed to the brass egg headlight, it all just fell together.

None of it is as much work as a side car or a trike! I got it easy!

Thanks, Rg

Well, I have been hanging out on page 2 for the last week, figured I better do an update. Only 6 weeks left! Arrgh!

I laid some paint on the egg, then removed it from the details and cleared it. Painted the light ring green, but didn’t like it and decided to go dark hammer-tone on it. Not sure I like the white on the visor, I may remove it completely.

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

When I extended the wheelbase it left a large open area behind the seat tube above the kickstand. I cut some metal and welded it in. Sand, sand, sand, file, sand, weld, grind, file, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, etc. My wife looked at it and said “You worked on THAT for 3 days?” Yeap, and it’s still not where I want it to be.

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

I also found a different chain-ring to use. Forgot to get a picture. It’s not as clean as the Schwinn but it has a better design to it. I also figured out the path to run the wiring for the tail light.

Once I get past the sand, bondo, sand phase it will all be down hill (famous last words).

Thanks, Rg

What did you use to spray the seat it? I spray painted a purple banana seat with gloss white paint back in October and it's held up really well.

Re: Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 5/30 taillight

raggedjim said:
I also used automotive adhesion promoter used to paint door panels and dashboards.

I think saddle time will be the real test.

Thanks, Rg

I disagree, I think the pedals and grips will be the real test.

Re: Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 5/30 taillight

yoothgeye said:
raggedjim said:
I also used automotive adhesion promoter used to paint door panels and dashboards.

I think saddle time will be the real test.

Thanks, Rg

I disagree, I think the pedals and grips will be the real test.

Oh yeah, they will be the test, but that test will involve some saddle time! Plus we all know bikes are better once they have some wear on them!

Rg

Re: Junk Bros. Build LOCO-CYCLE 6/22 Sand, bondo, sand...

Love the light, I think you may be right about the white visor. I would keep it, but maybe have it blcak or the same color as the egg.

Hope the pedal paint holds up because those look sweet.

Also great job with the fill work behind teh seatube.

raggedjim said:
When I extended the wheelbase...

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

My son asked me about the “extended the wheelbase” so I wanted to clarify this in case someone else has the same question. The wheelbase changed because of the addition of the homebuilt extenders shown below. I didn’t cut the frame in any way. All I did was weld in a plate to cover the kickstand area. It may have been misleading if you haven't read the entire thread (you really should, I'm kinda a funny guy at times... I make myself laugh...)

DSC00266.jpg

Thanks, and hopefully some more pics tomorrow! Rg (notice the skillfully worded no-bunny bump technique I used to get off of page 2. Can't let Jake think I’m slacking!)

I guess it could have been misleading when you showed the kickstand area plate and you talked about extending the wheelbase. Some people may have thought that you cut the frame there and added an extension section there. But that ain't what happened. All you did was add some extensions to your dropouts (totally within the rules), and then just cosmetically filled in some of the gap between the kickstand and the wheel. No problem at all with what you did rule wise and it turned out very sharp too!!!!

Oh yeah, and Slackers don't start until Page 3!!!!

kingfish254 said:
I guess it could have been misleading when you showed the kickstand area plate and you talked about extending the wheelbase. Some people may have thought that you cut the frame there and added an extension section there. But that ain't what happened. All you did was add some extensions to your dropouts (totally within the rules), and then just cosmetically filled in some of the gap between the kickstand and the wheel. No problem at all with what you did rule wise and it turned out very sharp too!!!!

Oh yeah, and Slackers don't start until Page 3!!!!

Yes, you are correct, It may have been misleading, I didn't think it was, but when my son asked me if I had cut the frame I realized at least one person was confused ( he is related to me).

I have a feeling some of the page 3 and 4 guys may surprize us at the last minute...

Rg

raggedjim said:
I have a feeling some of the page 3 and 4 guys may surprize us at the last minute...

Rg

That's why I am trying to wake some of them up. I would ratehr see what's going on, than get hit up side the head later.

That light is awesome.

DSC00303-1.jpg

Nice idea for the pedals, grips and saddle. Looks like a good way to get custom look.

kingfish254 said:
That light is awesome.

DSC00303-1.jpg
Best one I've seen so far!!!

I went crazy, but I still like trains...

Anyway, Just a small update, mostly bondo and sanding going on. But I did try a different chainring. Painted the inside edges orange. I like this ring better than the original.

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

Once I get the frame bondo done I’ll post a pic of the whole frame. Here's some of the spring cup area, still needs work...

DSC00329.jpg

DSC00330.jpg

Stupid bondo! stupid bike! stupid build-off! There, it's out of my system.

Keep building, about 5 weeks left! Rg

raggedjim said:
..Stupid bondo! stupid bike! stupid build-off! There, it's out of my system.

:lol: :lol: Your next counseling appt is scheduled for tomorrow.. If you need RRB before then, you know where to find it Mr. Jim.

BTW, nice touch on the sprocket paint!

Critter1 said:
raggedjim said:
..Stupid bondo! stupid bike! stupid build-off! There, it's out of my system.

:lol: :lol: Your next counseling appt is scheduled for tomorrow.. If you need RRB before then, you know where to find it Mr. Jim.

BTW, nice touch on the sprocket paint!

Actually, I kinda like bondo work. Mix it hot, slap it on madly before it kicks, try to spread it even after it kicks and get it all crinkly looking, sanding it all off, mixing it weak, spreading it on and wondering if it will ever dry, wire brushing it off because it never sets... But every now and then, it goes easy and it's wax on, wax off...

You know, I looked back at all the bikes that have placed and none have the sprockets painted in the cutouts, which surprises me. It's so easy and really adds to the bike. Hopefully we will start seeing others do it. I probably copied it from somewhere but don't know where...

Rg

Latest posts

Back