Lets See Those 26" BMX Styled Cruiser Builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super Sweet builds Fellas!! Ryan, that Bassett is off the charts! Man i'd love to get my hands on one of those! Nice drag boat with a set of long tube Bassett headers would be pretty sick to!! 8) My unle Mack growing up had a drag boat with a tunnel ram settup and a set of those headers, pretty versitile company. Chimi, that Worksman is pretty sweet to, i'm getting parts together for my next build which will be a new Chrome Worksman INB, can't wait to get it in, got some pretty sweet parts waitin for it. Keep em comin fellas, I know you guys are holdin out on me, i've seen some pretty nice builds on here. :D

What's the difference between these and Klunkers?

kingfish254 said:
What's the difference between these and Klunkers?

Klunkers more specifically refer to older balloon tire bikes (like pre-war Schwinns and such) that were modified and upgraded by Marin County, CA riders in the mid to late 70's for riding and racing downhill on area mountain fire roads. Some were single speed (bombers) and some had gears (hybrids). Many incorprated motorcycle and/or BMX parts as well. Klunkers led directly to the design and building of the earliest dedicated mountain bikes (Joe Breeze, Fisher-Ritchey, etc.)

BMX cruisers were 26" wheeled bikes (many of which started out as beach cruisers) that were built for racing on BMX courses in the late 70's and early 80's.

There definitely is some historical overlap between BMX cruisers, klunkers and early MTB's, though. They are related.

Here's a picture of Scot Breithaupt on the first 26" BMX cruiser, a modified Emory beach cruiser, in 1978

OM_Emory_cruiser_78.jpg

OM_Emory_cruiser_78.jpg

Mr SE Racing himself, the Godfather of BMX. No question who the man is. 8)

BMX cruiser frames will have horizontal dropouts and typically were manufactured by BMX bike companies(usually in the late 70's-early 80's).

BMX styled cruisers can be built using any cruiser frame and some BMX parts...

I like the Kent LaJolla platforms also. Nice lightweight aluminum frame, with a couple of easy parts swaps and whala, a 26" BMX cruiser. The raw aluminum one I added a nice aluminum kickstand, Bontrager wheels with an ACS freewheel and Odysee rear brake with some nicer pedals. I have a nicer set of aluminum 3 pc cranks I want to add to it also down the road to take a little more weights off. I have just over $125 in it (not including parts I scavenged from other bikes). The red one is pretty stock except a handlebar, headset and seat swap. Only about $65 invested in it.

RAWLaJolla.jpg

RedLaJolla.jpg

Stole the handlebars off the Typhoon and liked them better on this Speedster. This bike rides great with the Bontragers. Just needs a Brooks saddle.

34qtq10.jpg

Latest posts

Back