Olds Cool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I highly doubt you will have any paint left after removing rust...you may want to rethink your rust removal idea if you want to keep any of the old graphics. Remember if rust has crept underneath paint or decals when you remove it there is nothing holding on your paint!

I highly doubt you will have any paint left after removing rust...you may want to rethink your rust removal idea if you want to keep any of the old graphics. Remember if rust has crept underneath paint or decals when you remove it there is nothing holding on your paint!

I think what I'm going to have to do is clean off as much as I can by hand and very carefully. I want to keep any factory paint and markings I can.

So a vinegar bath should be tried?
I once soaked a frame in vinegar and concentrated lemon juice for a few weeks. About half of the original paint came off but the frame was rust free. I used our guest bathroom bath tub. I now use a Jet Sled that I use to haul my firewood in from the wood pile in the winter.

It all comes back to hard work and persistence. We may not enjoy it, but sometimes we have to do it to get where we want to be.
Good luck with it.

I think the SOS pads, Scotch Brite pads, scrubber sponges and I will be spending a lot of time together in the very near future.
I need to post a picture of the rusted tanks I soaked in oxalic acid. All I could see was rust and slightly some of the graphics, I had no idea what color the tank actually was. I soaked it over night and in the morning the tank was metallic red and the graphics were bright white. Not one bit of the original paint was lost, or at least what was left of the original paint. I'll get some pix tonight of the process and post them tomorrow.

Last edited:
image.jpg
After doing a little more sanding and cleaning today, I decided that it wasn't going to get any better without removing too much of the original paint. Soooo.......natural rust it is!!

1st coat of boiled linseed oil is on. The lighting doesn't show the red as rich as it really is right now.

Frame came out nice! I forgot to post those pix of the Oxalic acid dip I did. Here's what I started with. Wasn't quite sure what color they were. Boy were these rusty!

Here's a pic the next morning. Holy cow, they're metallic red. Now all I need is a frame to go with the tank.

Last edited:
View attachment 11659 After doing a little more sanding and cleaning today, I decided that it wasn't going to get any better without removing too much of the original paint. Soooo.......natural rust it is!!

1st coat of boiled linseed oil is on. The lighting doesn't show the red as rich as it really is right now.

Cleaned up well with an awesome patina!

Frame came out nice! I forgot to post those pix of the Oxalic acid dip I did. Here's what I started with. Wasn't quite sure what color they were. Boy were these rusty!

Here's a pic the next morning. Holy cow, they're metallic red. Now all I need is a frame to go with the tank.

That is killer! I think if I had more time I could probably have done it. Weather here has not been cooperative for outdoor work. There's always next year!!

Latest posts

Back