PROJECT 65 DELUXE RACER - update 9/03

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: PROJECT 65 DELUXE RACER - update 8/15

meh, not minty, idk how well theyll clean up. theyre a bit dirty, have some scuffs an nicks. :|

I like it. But, I think you are right, black would be better along with the original grips. JMHO.

The honey Brooks is growing on me.

I've got a set of mint coppertone chubby grips coming in the mail to finish it off. :wink:

I know the lettering can't take too much scrubbing, but what about the decals on the seat tube? Can they take more cleaning effort? My bike has the same kind of decal and I'd like to get it bright again.

Wildcat said:
I know the lettering can't take too much scrubbing, but what about the decals on the seat tube? Can they take more cleaning effort? My bike has the same kind of decal and I'd like to get it bright again.

It sort of depends. Those hat and stripe decals have a tendency of yellowing over time. This particular set on this bike were pretty grungy. I washed them lightly with soap and water first and then I ended up taking some new Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound and very gently going over them to see how it would do. The yellow started coming off and the colors remained so I very carefully continued until I was satisfied with the results. It would be VERY EASY to rub the colors right off with the compound so you really need to be careful with the stuff.

Thanks, I plan to get coppertone bike looking as good as possible. Did you use the same rubbing compound on the frame also?

Yep...the Schwinn paint really comes to life with a bit of rubbing compound followed by some wax.

I don't think I've had one vintage Schwinn that didn't polish out to an awesome shine with some elbow grease. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
Yep...the Schwinn paint really comes to life with a bit of rubbing compound followed by some wax.

I don't think I've had one vintage Schwinn that didn't polish out to an awesome shine with some elbow grease. :wink:

I am still amazed. The one I did a few weeks ago looked fantastic with just a good cleaning and a good waxing.

Re: PROJECT 65 DELUXE RACER - update 9/02

I still think some brown matching leather grips would look better with the saddle, but for now, this is how she rolls. :wink:

Click image for larger version.

DSC_0002-6.jpg

DSC_0007-6.jpg

DSC_0008-7.jpg

DSC_0012-5.jpg

DSC_0014-6.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0023-2.jpg

DSC_0024-2.jpg

DSC_0009-4.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

I'll second that, the grips look good. You'll be hard pressed to find a nicer coppertone Schwinn anywhere, especially one you can take a ride on.

third! looks awesome! :mrgreen:

Mmmm...Coppertooonnne...mmm...tasty...::drool::
Oh, sorry!

WOW, wow, wow. I'm blown away - great job on a first class bike in my favourite colour!

Re: PROJECT 65 DELUXE RACER - update 9/02

Rat Rod said:
I still think some brown matching leather grips would look better with the saddle, but for now, this is how she rolls. :wink:

DSC_0009-4.jpg

Where'd you find those valve caps? do they offer different colors?

I've got 65 Schwinn coppertone bike too, but a little different. Mine's only in decent shape, good as a measure of the pristine condition of your bike. I'll race ya!

2by875.jpg

Latest posts

Back