Roadmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cool! Another build off! To be honest, I'd never heard of a klunker or seen one, but after looking at the pics Steve posted and checking out the klunker links, they look like alot of fun. The bike I'm submitting is a Roadmaster skip tooth. I'll hopefully know more after disassembly. I'm kinda leaning to the Bomber coaster brake style, but who knows. Btw, if someone does know the year of this bike, let me know. Thanks!
IMG_0016-1.jpg

dude, i don't know what ya got but that is bad bone sic. bomber style for sure. wow, we got some kool bikes in this one.

Outlaw 8)

Hi Roadmaster,

Your Roadmaster is one of their early models.

Cleveland Welding began producing Roadmaster bicycles in 1935 for the 1936 model year.

The bicycles they produced in 1935 and 1936 have the chainring that is on your bike with the small secondary comets or paisleys.

In 1937 the chainring was changed and the secondary comets were made larger. This dates your bike as a 1936 model.

That style frame and fork continued in production into 1937. By 1938 the frame was replaced by a similar frame with a slightly deeper spacing between the two top tubes and the “flying V” fork had been dropped from production.

A tank was produced for the 1938 model but it does not fit the earlier frame which was never offered with a tank.

The seat and stem on your bike are newer than the bike and the original rims aould have been the early triple step Lobdells.

If you don’t mind posting your serial number I could add it to the list of Cleveland Welding serial numbers we are collecting on the CABE

Phil

Wow! Thanks, Phil for the info. I disassembled it tonight, scratched the layer of red paint from the bottom of the crank case and got your serial #. Thought it would be more official if you saw a pic of it.
36roadmaster001.jpg

Thanks again!

Thanks for posting the number, Serial number photos are great, your number is clear but some are badly stamped and are often open to more than one interpretation. The early CWC frames like yours have been found so far with either an “X”, a “Z”, or an “A” followed by four or five numbers.

My interpretation is that the X and Z frames are earlier than the A frames and that the A frames are solidly 1936 production. I have A21423, A52260, and A81332 currently in the database, The first two are essentially identical to your bike and the last is later model normally associated with 1937+ production but it still wears the 1936 chainring.

Anyway, good luck with your build, I’m considering doing a bike for this build-off as I got to the site too late for the last one. I’ll mull it over and see if I can decide on a frame and find the time to get something going.

And thanks again for the number and photo.

Phil

Off Roadmaster

Got the bike apart, stripped down and primered up. Decided on Off Roadmaster for the name.
36offroadmaster002.jpg

Picked out a pair of vintage BMX bars. Don't care too much for the grips.
36offroadmaster001.jpg

Got a set of whitewall knobs from the local bike swap & show.
36offroadmaster003.jpg

Sanded down the rust off the rear rim for painting. The front rim was rusted through, complete with holes. It was also bent, so I'm using the front wheel off the Murray, plus tubes.
36offroadmaster004.jpg

Donor bike.
36offroadmaster005.jpg

Probably start painting this weekend. Later.

roadmaster, this is roadmaster here. nice work so far on your klunker project. i have a 59' amf roadmaster that i recently just get done rebuilding, with pictures coming soon. like the color. good luck and it should turn out great.

holy smokes, that is a sweet frame. this bike is going to be cool me thinks.

Finally got around to painting. Here's the frame and fork with an old roadbike seat like I used back in the day for my BMX bike.
offpaint005.jpg

Sanded the sprocket down to bare metal, primered it, and came up with an idea for painting. I took a photocopy of the sprocket, scanned it into the computer, and brought the image up in the Corel program. Then I selected the paisleys and added a thick outline and printed a paper copy for my stencils.
offpaint010.jpg

After cutting out the paisleys, I positioned them over the existing ones on the sprocket.
offpaint011.jpg

Then I rattle canned the sprocket black.
offpaint012.jpg

Primered and painted the handlebars, fork struts white, and the rear wheel black to match the front from the doner bike. Pedals are from a '70's Varsity.
Now to find time this weekend to head to the garage for assembly. Break out the propane heater! At least we're not shoveling yet.
A lot of great klunker builds out there! Very cool!

Latest posts

Back