Schwin varsity sport 1966 saddle

Discussion in 'FRESH FINDS' started by physiorol, Sep 11, 2014.

1. physiorol

physiorol

Hello all.

Just bought a schwinn varsity at a garage sale. I looked up the id and am pretty sure it is a 1966.

[​IMG]

I am sure I will have other questions, but right now I have a question about the saddle.

Is this the original saddle? (See below) I am thinking not. As people seem to mention the varsity having a leather sprint saddle.

Also, It looks very hard and uncomfortable and was thinking of replacing it, but would like to match the era of the bike, if possible.

San Marco is written on the back. To me it feels like hard flexible plastic (is that an oxymoron? ) but the bike shop tech thought it was leather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

Roland

Ps I love the iowa city bike registration sticker

[​IMG]

2. Araya51

Araya51

I'm going to say not origenal..
    They normally come with saddles that say Schwinn approved on them.
    But I've been known to be wrong..
    Nice score by the way..

3. cman

cman Moderator

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  4. physiorol

physiorol

Thanks, I am probably not going to drop 120$, but I will look around to see what else pops up.

Would someone paint a leather saddle? There seems to be some kind of superficial paint or something on it.

The bike shop sold me some Brooks saddle conditioner but I wonder how it could penetrate inside, with that "paint" like stuff on the saddle

5. late for dinner

late for dinner

That's a real nice yard sale find and from the pics I saw on my little web search looks to have the same frame under the hide as other Varsity saddles of this vintage.
    The leather looks nice and thick and may come back to life and become form fitting for you with a good spa treatment, oil massage and some time on the road.
    Check the 'how to' section on this site to get some ideas on reviving the leather to begin with.
    You've nothing to lose by trying your hand at it and you already bought the Proof Hide.
    Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

6. physiorol

physiorol

7. late for dinner

late for dinner

Scratch and Sniff ! :eek:
    You could also file/scrape a bit off the underside if you have any doubts on material.

8. cman

cman Moderator

9. physiorol

physiorol

Thanks guys. I will return the conditioner and look for a more comfortable seat.

I may be back for more questions regarding the bike as I continue to fix it up.

10. Paul M

Paul M

I just got an old 60's Vintage Varsity that has the same hard plastic San Marco Saddle - I like it.