Secrets of the Masters

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bent forks are hard to see sometimes. Hope this gives a little help:
Untitled.jpg

Never buy cheap bike tools... they will ALWAYS break when you need them the most. Found a use for those old cassette tapes, the screws work just fine for Schwinn headbadges, Never trust a new bike is lubricated from the store unless it is a reputable bike shop.

Well, i'm as amateur as they get, but...

Everybody I know complains when components (metal or hard plastic) start eating at the paint-although some components come with rubber inserts I find that my favorite material has become leather cloth (thin leather with cloth back I use to re-cover books), Cut strips to fit, adhere the ends with one drop of carpenter's glue and voila! Perfect for brake spoons, makes lovely handlebar tape (especially with a lacquer or varnish) and you can remove with a blade or a fingernail under the glued joint.

One recent discovery of mine-after I disassemble cranks from a bottom bracket, I stuff a champagne cork down the seat tube opening with a touch of epoxy, then chemweld a zerk fitting into the weld vent at the bottom of the bracket...after the cranks are reassembled, I never need to remove them again to add grease-I just grab the gun and squeeze until the fittings sweat oil, and I travel with a full reservoir of grease for the bearings at all times! My former neighbor has placed 6,000+ miles on his (formerly my) Emory I modified this way, and since the Emory was my first Mod of this type it remains my guinea pig...if it ever fails i'll document the bearing mileage for the Forum!

One recent discovery of mine-after I disassemble cranks from a bottom bracket, I stuff a champagne cork down the seat tube opening with a touch of epoxy, then chemweld a zerk fitting into the weld vent at the bottom of the bracket...after the cranks are reassembled, I never need to remove them again to add grease-I just grab the gun and squeeze until the fittings sweat oil, and I travel with a full reservoir of grease for the bearings at all times! My former neighbor has placed 6,000+ miles on his (formerly my) Emory I modified this way, and since the Emory was my first Mod of this type it remains my guinea pig...if it ever fails i'll document the bearing mileage for the Forum![/QUOTE]

Now that is very interesting.

I never use oil or wd40 on a new chain . sped a few bucks and get some real chain lube wax way better for the chain , cleaner , smother , & won't hold the sand , witch makes it last longer . It also won't grease your leg or pants .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you actually want to get work done on your bike, hide out in the back yard as for working out front of your house you never get nothing as everybody stops by to check out your bike.

actually, petroleum based bearing grease is the worst thing you can put on bicycle bearings..use a Teflon based grease for bicycle bearings..equally as bad is using regular WD-40 lubricant for your chains and derailuers

I'm not contesting what you are saying about the grease, I just want to know why. Always ready to learn.

actually, petroleum based bearing grease is the worst thing you can put on bicycle bearings..use a Teflon based grease for bicycle bearings..equally as bad is using regular WD-40 lubricant for your chains and derailuers
I've been doing it for years and haven't seen any problems.

Latest posts

Back