Secrets of the Masters

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want hand brakes, but your frame wasn't made to mount them, here's what I've done a few times. Make a pair of steel or aluminum plates for either side of the stays, drill a few holes and mount it so the brake pads will line up with the wheel. I made them so they could be moved up or down an inch or so.

30bz05y.jpg

2m60jgz.jpg
Yes. Since these are very hard to find.

f721e3b6eca57146c804c1b749243a83.jpg

here is what i do to paint rims without touching the parts that show,first go to your local drycleaners and get some free metal hangers,leave the hook one one end but straighten therest of the hanger out,from the outside of the rim[where the rim strip goes]put the straight side of the wire through a spoke hole,go to a hole on the other side of the rim and put the wire through a spoke holeat this point you have wire sticking out of the outside of the rim,the rounded hook part on one side and straight wire coming out 90 degrees away,bend the stright part of the wire so you can put it the sspoke hole next to the straight wire,this will prvent the wire from turning,put another wire in at 90 degrees,now you can spray and rotate w/o having to paint upside down,you can also add more wires if you want to be able to make more turns,works great for painting a frm without jumpin through any hoops,fyi-i cut the wire to dissasemble so i dont scatch the rim
PIC_0001_zpsnkl4iizq.jpg
PIC_0003_zpsh6y3ldjk.jpg

Look mom no hands , easy tool to adjust your wheel between the rear triangle & tighten your chain to just the write tension . Which leaves your hands to be free to tighten the axle nuts ....
5e117131762f3f783517d8119c4a5bbe.jpg
ed472cb4ad71a466acf20aa9c1b0d5c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look mom no hands , easy tool to adjust your wheel between the rear triangle & tighten your chain to just the write tension . Which leaves your hands to be free to tighten the axle nuts ....

OK, I'm using this one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

here is what i do to paint rims without touching the parts that show,first go to your local drycleaners and get some free metal hangers,leave the hook one one end but straighten therest of the hanger out,from the outside of the rim[where the rim strip goes]put the straight side of the wire through a spoke hole,go to a hole on the other side of the rim and put the wire through a spoke holeat this point you have wire sticking out of the outside of the rim,the rounded hook part on one side and straight wire coming out 90 degrees away,bend the stright part of the wire so you can put it the sspoke hole next to the straight wire,this will prvent the wire from turning,put another wire in at 90 degrees,now you can spray and rotate w/o having to paint upside down,you can also add more wires if you want to be able to make more turns,works great for painting a frm without jumpin through any hoops,fyi-i cut the wire to dissasemble so i dont scatch the rim
PIC_0001_zpsnkl4iizq.jpg
PIC_0003_zpsh6y3ldjk.jpg
For some reason I can't view these photo......and I have some rims to paint....uuugggghhhhhh

Stay single.. Best advice ever. Then no one will tell you how many toys you can have or that you can't keep em in your house. Date strippers cause it's easier to make them leave and always keep a punching bag close. I'm known for throwing a frame completely through my wall outa frustration (im Italian/Irish bad temper lol) . It's cheaper to buy a new punching bag then Re drywall your garage. And as for the foil trick, try diet coke instead of water.. Works like butter.

Yes. Since these are very hard to find.

f721e3b6eca57146c804c1b749243a83.jpg
Depending on the type of seat stay bridge, you may need nothing more exotic and complicated than a piece of rigid angle iron with a couple of holes drilled. :thumbsup:

Here's my nominee for an ascended master of bike geekdom- he bult a well engineered and functional replica of a very strange bike form the end of the high wheel era. In his shed and on a Myford 7" lathe. It's a blog so it runs back to front but well worth looking through:
http://geared-facile.blogspot.com/

I don't know how you guys deal with local idiots and their bad driving skills around cyclists. Me personally, I'm thinking about turning my ape hangers into a slingshot and keeping a small sack full of bearings or golf balls and letting the driver's know my presence when they decide to not pay attention.[emoji6]

I read about a guy in the 60s or 70s in england. He took his bike in for repair, got the broken crank arm back from the shop, asked "why do i need this?"

"Motorist windscreen"

Never never force a seat post in with a hammer. If a seat post is stuck use penetratin oil. If that don't work cut the seat post a 1/2 inch from the seat tube. Get a Swiss army knife size hacksaw and carefully cut the remaining post inside the seat tube. Grab your vice grips and pull it out.

I don't know how you guys deal with local idiots and their bad driving skills around cyclists. Me personally, I'm thinking about turning my ape hangers into a slingshot and keeping a small sack full of bearings or golf balls and letting the driver's know my presence when they decide to not pay attention.[emoji6]
A little trick some of us Las Vegas guys use. Tie a lock onto a bandana and keep it in your pocket. I ride around all the drunk tourist that come out here and scream vegas baby at the top of their lungs. Number one rule anywhere you go is respect the locals. Lots of cars have gone home with dents for driving too close. Or tie a whip on the ends of your ape hangers with same lock method and take a windshield out.

I'm going to make this, paint it royal blue and label it GMWW-015

That's what I was looking for. Great one.

A little trick some of us Las Vegas guys use. Tie a lock onto a bandana and keep it in your pocket. I ride around all the drunk tourist that come out here and scream vegas baby at the top of their lungs. Number one rule anywhere you go is respect the locals. Lots of cars have gone home with dents for driving too close. Or tie a whip on the ends of your ape hangers with same lock method and take a windshield out.
Not sure if this is a secrete of the masters but with how dangerous it is to ride here it might be something to try.

In my rural area my main motorist concern while riding a bike is people who don't slow down on gravel roads when they get close. When driving 40 to 50+ Mph on gravel roads rocks are flying everywhere. It's not to pleasant being pelted with them.

5efb3efe4b7b9b67d12b3dee3e20d59b.jpg
if I go down the gravel trail with my daughter in her cart, it has to be on a bike with fenders or I blast her with gravel.

Last edited:
Back