Silver Lining

Oct 24, 2012
Felton, California
I'm pretty pleased with how she's coming along!
I've given some thought to a bagger style look, or I have some 2.3 and 2.5 nobbies, or even a front shock..
Fenders are usually a right pita for me.
The big tires make a huge amount of noise, and may very well destroy any handling it has!
I'm concerned about a schwinn style springer looking too generic,Macargi much?( and I don't have one)
I do have a Monark and Girvin forks, but I think the Girvin may be too modern, might try the Monark today..
Debating a 3" Beach Bum rear tire, only $18 shipped on ebay right now!
Thanks for all the encouragement!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2012
Maplewood, MN
I'm pretty pleased with how she's coming along!
I've given some thought to a bagger style look, or I have some 2.3 and 2.5 nobbies, or even a front shock..
Fenders are usually a right pita for me.
The big tires make a huge amount of noise, and may very well destroy any handling it has!
I'm concerned about a schwinn style springer looking too generic,Macargi much?( and I don't have one)
I do have a Monark and Girvin forks, but I think the Girvin may be too modern, might try the Monark today..
Debating a 3" Beach Bum rear tire, only $18 shipped on ebay right now!
Thanks for all the encouragement!
Graham, this bike fits you perfectly! It has really come together nicely. I would steer clear (pun intended) of using too modern of a fork. It has such a nice vintage vibe to it now. Agreed on the 3" beach bum....but why stop at the rear only? Mo fatta, mo betta! :grin: Unless you want more of that dragster look, with the skinnier front. Now just add some rust to the frame and you'd have the perfect rat bike! :21: Is the blue staying, or do you have paint / patina plans as well?

Oct 24, 2012
Felton, California
Taking a moment or two for thought, and I need to keep progress happening w my vw.
The paint is actually a lot worse than looks in the pics, debating a slogan/catch phrase for the chain guard.
I'll change the sprocket when adding a fatter rear tire, will probably have to trim the chain guard to make it fit, ho hum!

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Those bars are killer and I like the lines of this stretch.
It reminds me that I still have an old Huffy tandem frame to play with.

Reactions: biggraham
Mar 26, 2012
Maplewood, MN
What's the latest on this cool build, Graham?

Oct 24, 2012
Felton, California
I realized/remembered that the nexus three hubs need a specific amount of shaft for the shifter to work properly, so I spaced mine out with some washers and now have three speeds! Granted I still need to change the cable to the centrally mounted shifter, but was lots of fun to ride it up hill, and got a satisfying "Wow!' from some kids at a nearby school!

Reactions: OddJob

kingfish254

Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
TICK TOCK
11 days
Time to come out of hiding!!
Don't forget to post in the finished section in time.

kingfish254

Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Good call, my apologies.Been in mild shock after a post Sunny side up incident when both rack and bikes went flying off the car...
YIKES!!!

The Bike Wall BOXKARS Clyde James Cycles