Sort of virtual classic bicycle 31 day race

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do 40 and I need three days rest before my heart rate goes back to normal. I think two hours is a better fit for my age. Two days of 40 miles really is impressive on vintage bikes. I did 81 miles last week on a modern road bike and I was a mess after. That didn’t count, the bike was not vintage. New smooth asphalt so it was easy on the body and it was cool out, but it was still a very extreme exhausted feeling the last few miles for me. Thirty is probably the max I should do now a days.
It's difficult to compare our results. I believe what you're accomplishing is more challenging. We're using completely different bikes on different terrain. I spend months preparing each bike to tackle a 20 mile section of trail back and forth that I've ridden for years. I'm sure if we switched locations you'd recover quicker. You posted a pic of an area I wouldn't want to ride a 100 feet.

You guys are doing awesome! I've been getting all my miles in this vintage beauty lately.
IMG_20200809_123948648.jpg

So, coming down the home stretch on my Raleigh, I’m cruising through the village, passing by the library, focusing 100% on the road, lights and traffic, and I hear: “Hi Dad”

Lol: baby Jude #3 (of 4) was outside the library “hanging” with one of her besties. Just relaxing on some Adirondack’s, enjoying summer.

Had to stop and say hi!!!

That’s more than she says to me in a week.... and we live together!!!! Lol

Darn teens.....
36C442A2-427C-4ACF-AEE6-27CBAD28506B.jpeg

90730D12-3248-4C33-A0BB-32F0D1E5D106.jpeg

20 more on the Raleigh, 163 MTD points!

Tomorrow’s ride...... could be a problem!!!!

Last edited:
Good deal fellas. Broke a sweat tonight. Fun ride. Started after 9 pm. Almost hit a possum.
Day 19
376+10=386
ntr1.jpg

The frogs were deafening. Blackness all around.
ntr3.jpg

2nd 9/11 tribute at the firehouse.
1597112500642.jpeg

Dependable.
ntr6.jpg

Old Glory once again.
ntr4.jpg

Didn't think 5 bonus points was generous enough at first...:39: 8 x 5... that's a whole day worth of riding for me!

Last edited:
Good deal fellas. Broke a sweat tonight. Fun ride. Started after 9 pm. Almost hit a possum.
Day 19
376+10=386
View attachment 132983

View attachment 132985

View attachment 132984

Dependable.
View attachment 132990

Old Glory once again.
View attachment 132986

Didn't think 5 bonus points was generous enough at first...:39: 8 x 5... that's a whole day worth of riding for me!
Absolutely spectacular pic’s!!!!!

Day 19
376+10=386
View attachment 132983

View attachment 132985

View attachment 132984

Dependable.
View attachment 132990

Old Glory once again.
View attachment 132986

Rules is rules

View attachment 132985

Riding down here in the coastal lowlands at night is the same. Pitch black, critters everywhere, deafening frogs, horseflies and cicadas everywhere

Even in town it's dark since most places have minimal street lights for the sake of the marine life

Thanks Jude & Cap. Most of the pics didn't come out due to my elevated heart rate so is relied on ground support to keep the cam steady. Riding on the trail at night is prohibited :bandit:

Day 20. Mid 80's and sticky. Can't say I enjoyed this.
386 + 60 = 446
strava day 20.jpg

Obviously there are glitches. I was moving for over 4 hrs and mapped the ride for 60mi. I'm using a POS phone. AVG 18.8 for 62mi!? yeah right! BUT, I did do the first 20mi in 65 minutes which means I might be able to get a sub 60 with help :cool2:

I built the Huffy for long fast rides and it didn't disappoint. The bars gotta go though. Didn't like the Wald rams horns with it either. The Schwinn bars seem to have a better hold but I aint payin' for'em. I dunno what to do exactly...

Lets Play​
lets play.jpg

NO JUMPING OFF BRIDGE:whistle:
1597183259716.jpeg

I don't need no bonus points! j/k:bigsmile:

It was a normal ride, wood wheels, single speed, 3 counties, the drop bars came loose and dropped even more on the bumpy gravel, skip tooth chain started skipping and made the tire rub slightly on the frame and I lost a pedal dust cap. Fourty miles + 445 points = 485 points. That Pearsons Race Number 77 saddle is real comfortable.
20200811_183556.jpg
20200811_173614.jpg

20200811_182031.jpg

20200811_182051.jpg

20200811_183901.jpg
20200811_183939.jpg
20200811_183932.jpg
20200811_182044.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh man, you lost a dust cap! You converted those pedals to 1/2''?

"It was a normal ride". Followed by "wood wheels" :21:
I gotta hand it to ya, that's a challenging 40 mile ride.
Stuffs corks in the bar ends of wine colored bike:cool2:

Well I had the lead for a few.

Ahh man, you lost a dust cap! You converted those pedals to 1/2''?

"It was a normal ride". Followed by "wood wheels" :21:
I gotta hand it to ya, that's a challenging 40 mile ride.
Stuffs corks in the bar ends of wine colored bike:cool2:

Well I had the lead for a few.
These pedals were originally 1/2 inch, no conversion. Schwinn had track and road pedals in the 1930s in 1/2 inch for their three piece cottered cranks. Weird I know, and worth lotsa raha now. In the 1970 a few American inexpensive ten speeds came with these pedals. You could also buy them, but now NOS is rare. You can get the lead tomorrow. I go Green Bay then Eh. I will see an orthopedic surgeon that rebuilds the Packers. My knees are shot, I’m hoping he can rebuild me. So tomorrow is a travel, doctor and X-ray day. Go for that lead, man, don’t let a geriatric rider beat you.

Well...... with a name like Jude, ya end up doing a lot of stuff in your church!

A post work rain combined with a 6:30 parish council meeting- means Jude got skunked on the bike tonight!

0 miles day 11. So sad!!!!

“I’ll be back”
1AF5686B-B924-4621-A79F-8C1ACA33D2E7.jpeg

Well...... with a name like Jude, ya end up doing a lot of stuff in your church!

A post work rain combined with a 6:30 parish council meeting- means Jude got skunked on the bike tonight!

“I’ll be back”
View attachment 133079
Still time for a night ride.

“I’ll be back”
Some things are much more important.

I go Green Bay then Eh. I will see an orthopedic surgeon that rebuilds the Packers. My knees are shot, I’m hoping he can rebuild me. So tomorrow is a travel, doctor and X-ray day. Go for that lead, man, don’t let a geriatric rider beat you.

I rode with a cyclist in his early 70's. He's done it all including daily 100 mile tandem rides with his wife. He has a replacement knee with 20,000 miles on it!:13: Jokes often about his surgeon's work.

Wishing you well.

Some things are much more important.

I rode with a cyclist in his early 70's. He's done it all including daily 100 mile tandem rides with his wife. He has a replacement knee with 20,000 miles on it!:13: Jokes often about his surgeon's work.

Wishing you well.
That is good to hear indeed. If I started now I would be long dead before 20,000 miles. One of my buddies is a vinyl junkie. He inherited the collection of another vinyl junkie. Because of this inheritance he now has a world class collection of Duke Ellington records. He has been collecting records for 55 years and buys obscene amounts whenever he goes record shopping, which is always. If he started spinning them now he would be long dead before he finished listening. Makes me seem like a piker with only 40 bicycles.

Latest posts

Back