Sort of virtual classic bicycle 31 day race

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s my 20 mile ride: out 10, back 10.

Just curious, what’s this elevation look like to everyone else? Rough? An off day?

On a 39 pound mountain bike and a stiff wind... this sure feels rough to me!
4D7A3486-6F74-4A28-8352-1146E592C899.jpeg

Here’s my 20 mile run: out 10, back 10.

Just curious, what’s this elevation look like to everyone else? Rough? An off day?

On a 39 pound mountain bike and a stiff wind... this sure feels rough to me!View attachment 133515

I'd kill for some elevation. Down here I'm lucky to get 20' total on a 15 mile ride. Flatter than flat

I'd kill for some elevation. Down here I'm lucky to get 20' total on a 15 mile ride. Flatter than flat
Cool... I don’t know.

I was in Tampa for about 13 years.... flat is sort of nice! Lol

I’m telling ya! A 20 mph wind is very common around here.... you get a 20 mph dead head wind and mix it with one of these hills and it’s sort of like... uh..... I could go for some flat again!

Lol.

Cool... I don’t know.

I was in Tampa for about 13 years.... flat is sort of nice! Lol

I’m telling ya! A 20 mph wind is very common around here.... you get a 20 mph dead head wind and mix it with one of these hills and it’s sort of like... uh..... I could go for some flat again!

Lol.
I would hate that. 10 mph is a pain.

Around a 1000 feet in 20 miles. For my group mountain bike rides 1000 feet in 10 or 12 miles. I like to keep my solo rides 1000 feet or so for 40 miles. Some of the rivers here drain high vegetated sand dunes left from glaciers. If you scope out the road network that circles these rivers you can get an almost 80 mile trip with less than 3000 feet. About two thirds of this ride is gravel . It took me almost ten hours to ride this this past May. Lots of black flies, snow banks and 80 F. I spent the next day sleeping.

Today was a good day.
D23: 76mi Stingray Sabertooth
470+76 = 546
View attachment 133482
Again there are data errors. Actual using Garmin data is 76miles. Elapsed time is the important value.

Kensico Dam Plaza in Valhalla.
View attachment 133490

View attachment 133491
That’s impressive, it’s not even a shifty. I rode 81 miles July 24 on my aluminum and carbon road bike with similar elevation. It wasn’t easy. Didn’t count it for this cause it was a 2015 bike.

I'm heading towards the Atlantic ocean with a gradual elevation of 2,500 feet. Going is down hill and the return is climbing. Today I had my most changeling climb yet. Thought I could do it with my single gear and 170mm cranks but it was tougher than I anticipated.

4 mile elevation profile challenge.
100c.jpg

I'm heading towards the Atlantic ocean with a gradual elevation of 2,500 feet. Going is down hill and the return is climbing. Today I had my most changeling climb yet. Thought I could do it with my single gear and 170mm cranks but it was tougher than I anticipated.

4 mile elevation profile challenge.
View attachment 133527
Ha! Quite a ride.... I’d definitely prefer the climb on the way out vs. the way back.

Typically when I’m battling the wind, it’s usually in my face on the way out and giving me a push on the way back.

Somehow, the tailwind back never seems to help as much as the head wind hurts on the way out.

Around a 1000 feet in 20 miles. For my group mountain bike rides 1000 feet in 10 or 12 miles. I like to keep my solo rides 1000 feet or so for 40 miles. Some of the rivers here drain high vegetated sand dunes left from glaciers. If you scope out the road network that circles these rivers you can get an almost 80 mile trip with less than 3000 feet. About two thirds of this ride is gravel . It took me almost ten hours to ride this this past May. Lots of black flies, snow banks and 80 F. I spent the next day sleeping.
That sounds like madness! Good grief!

So, help me with the math on my ride. So I’m climbing like 365’ on my ride?

Elevation profile for the 20 mile section I ride back and forth. Start is on the right side. Trail continues for another 25 miles ending in NYC.

Profile.jpg

Ha-Ha! That climb back would wear on you, but at least the last few miles is a downhill.....
There have been times I let it coast going back till the wheels stopped spinning from exhaustion. I've also fallen asleep a couple of times.
Keep in mind when looking at the graph that it's stretched over a fairly long distance. I have to get out of the saddle in a few spots but not for long. There are very few tight truns. The object is to maintain a high rate of speed.

Day 24. Pleasant ride. Had company on the way back.
546 + 33 = 579

Cross this line all the time and never noticed the cassette art.
finish cassette tape.jpg

finish cassette line.jpg

EDIT: Elapsed time from the previous day should be longer. Noticed my ride today was placed on automatic pause for 30min. Not a big deal. The posted mileage is accurate.

Last edited:
Back