Sram 3-speed kickback hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! That's what I need, a bike that can shuck corn! That PTO setup is just begging for some inventive soul to put it to good use. How about a bike powered margarita mixer!?

Wow! That's what I need, a bike that can shuck corn! That PTO setup is just begging for some inventive soul to put it to good use. How about a bike powered margarita mixer!?
Hay, as Rat Rodder's, if we can think-it - we can make-it - Party Bike!

Make that three of us Luke and Dr. T - research continues to see if Sram will produce them for use outside the NGO market.

I'll need one also. Automatic like my 2 speed if possible. But kickback 3 is fine.

Their automatic uses centrifugal force to engage second gear. So another set of pawls would have to be added, and second would have to disengage somehow, so I don't think a 3 speed auto will show up anytime soon. The 3 speed that uses input from the front wheel to electronically shift is probably the closest to an auto 3.
The 3 speed kickback would have to be your only bike to get used to it. The 3 speed, from what the write up says, would not downshift back to second from third, you would have to tap the brakes, dropping it into first, then up shift to get second. That would be the hardest part to get used to, but with practice would probably be second nature.

Yeah, or you could just put a little lever on the handlebar and effortlessly toss it into any gear you want, right? :crazy: I think your description of a 3speed kicker is accurate and, as such, it makes me not want one.....

"Does not require shifter or cables". So how is this good? There will be problems with this new 3spd. What is wrong with a system that has proved itself over time?(shifter/cable) The guy riding the kickback 3 will slowly disappear off the back of the cabled 3-spd. rider, guaranteed. I still like it though!! SKPC

The shifter and/or cable has always been the first thing to cause problems on a 3 speed, either through the adjustment or cable getting worn or rusty. If you keep them maintained there's no problem though. The kickback needs no adjustment or lube, and has about the same gear ratio as a regular 3 speed. So in the dusty areas and where the bike will see little to no servicing, it may be better, if it holds up to a lot of use and abuse. I'll bet they ride 3 people and a load of groceries on those bikes. I'll wait to see how well they stand up to punishment, but so far my 2 speed auto has done very well.

For sure. Two speed kickbacks are simpler, and I think make sense on a certain style of bicycle with a simpler setup. Three speed kickbacks have to be more complex, and may be difficult to get put together correctly after maintenance. You know nothing is maintenance free. You mentioned "may", "If", and "wait" in your comment above. This is the same reason I will also wait and see how it comes out in the pileup.
Which 2-spd auto hub brand do you prefer WC? I am looking at old Bendix red/yellow and new stuff from sturmey and sachs for a future buildup.

I love the old kick-back hubs (bendix are the only ones that I have experience with) , the lack of cables, or shifters makes for a clean look for any cruiser. I would gladly try one of these 3 speed hubs, if the price was fair. I am sure that shifting wouldn't be too difficult to get used to, and it appears that they were designed for harsh conditions, which is another plus! No, they are not designed for all types of riding, but they should be great for general commuting or mild paths / trails.

I've only ridden 2 types of 2 speeds, an old yellow band Bendix and my year old SRAM Automatix. The yellow band was good and had excellent braking. I got used to shifting right away and wanted 2 speeds on all my bikes, even the bikes with 3 speeds. The automatic I ride all the time now has advantages and disadvantages over the kickback but works well for me in this urban/rural area I ride in. I think the only new kickback hub is the Sturmey Archer, I don't see a kickback on SRAM's webpage. My choice would be an old Bendix in excellent condition.

I'd like to get a 3 speed kickback over here, and I like the PTO but don't know what I would use it for. They have knife sharpeners going from neighborhood to neighborhood over here using an old bicycle attached to a base that uses the cranks and chain to turn the sharpening stone.

Back