stuffin a 24x3 in rear of Electra Rat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinkin of stuffin a 24x3 in rear of my Electra Rat Rod single speed. It originally came with a 26x2.125. Does anyone know if this is possible? I took measurements and I have 3-3/8" on the top frame by the tire. The tire I was thinkin of using measures 2-3/4. The way I figure i'll have about 1/4" gap between tire and frame. I anyone has experience with this bike and tire that would be great. Thanks. :shock:

Markm said:
as long as your chain clears the sidewall...

I just looked and i believe it will clear the chain. The chain lines up with the frame at the point in which the tire meets the frame.

it should fit just fine. if need be you could change the spacing on the rear hub to make the rear sprocket stick out a little more then re-dish the wheel back to center. that is what i did on the jc higgins i built many moons ago.

Thanks guys for your help. I'm going to take the bike down to the local bike store tomorrow and they are going to try to stuff one in there to see if it fits. I was hoping someone in the rat rod community did this already to my type of bike. I think i saw that Hooch had one but did he put a 24x3 on it?

Hey all-
Thanks for the quick responses. I recieved an order today for a Nirve 24" rim and thier 24x3 Fattass white wall tire. The downer to this is the rim color is not the same as the electra red rim I have in the front. My local bike shop located an electra 24" rim and tire combo for me that I believe is coming from thier warrenty dept. After looking at it, I too believe it should fit fine. I will post picts as soon as I put it on. After all the mods on this bike it should look pretty .......'. Thanks again to all of you that helped and encouraged me. :D

Hooch said:
I never tried it but theres a ton of room on those electra streamliner frames so i would say go for it!

Hey All,
Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I finally managed to stuff the tire under the rat rod. The tire and rim came from Electra and matched the front rim perfectly. Oh, check out my back fender. I cut it to sharp point and then painted the tip red. Thanks again.

IMG_3123.jpg
[/img]
IMG_3124.jpg
[/img]
IMG_3125.jpg
[/img]

I'm not sure, off the top of my head, which Electra frame is the rat rod, but I pu t the 24x3 on both ends of my Electra. The only real problem was making sure the rim was true. Not a lot of room back there. The rear cog is on so it dishes outward and the chain just clears the tire and I had to kinda spread the fender a bit. The chainguard rubbed, but then, who needs a chainguard?...
Devilmademe.jpg

No Talent Clown said:
I'm not sure, off the top of my head, which Electra frame is the rat rod, but I pu t the 24x3 on both ends of my Electra. The only real problem was making sure the rim was true. Not a lot of room back there. The rear cog is on so it dishes outward and the chain just clears the tire and I had to kinda spread the fender a bit. The chainguard rubbed, but then, who needs a chainguard?...
Devilmademe.jpg

Looking at the frames they appear to be the same. I didn't have any problems with puting the 24x3 in the rear as you can see but I did have to tweek the fender a bit. For one I had to bend the bottom fender bracket toward the wheel to minimize the gap and two I widened the end of the fender after I cut it.

I really like your bike. I am thinking of doing the metal flashing in the top tubes as well but maybe with diamond plate. Where did you get your light? I like the 2 tone color.

CCR, the forks, I think, are some ToyRUs things. My friend gave them to me. I did mange to find another pair on Ebay, but they are 24" forks and not 26" like these.
legburner, it wasn't alot of effort to get the setup to work, just some tweaking after a little rubbing. The light I got on Ebay as well (as I do alot of parts). It was really rusty so I painted it and gave it a new button for the horn. I really like being able to see the same frame done two ways as rats. Very neat. Thanks...

i like to see this frame done a few different ways as well. i think it has a ton of potential and now i want to find one seeing yours no tallent clown with the tank insert very well done. just somethin about 24 x 3 tires that makes a bike.

No Talent Clown said:
CCR, the forks, I think, are some ToyRUs things. My friend gave them to me. I did mange to find another pair on Ebay, but they are 24" forks and not 26" like these.
legburner, it wasn't alot of effort to get the setup to work, just some tweaking after a little rubbing. The light I got on Ebay as well (as I do alot of parts). It was really rusty so I painted it and gave it a new button for the horn. I really like being able to see the same frame done two ways as rats. Very neat. Thanks...

No Talant Clown-

How did you make your template for the tank inserts? I want it to fit perfectly.

-Legburner

I put card board on one side and traced the outline, cut it out, made sure it fit and then transfered it to the plexiglass. The insert is plexiglass, by the way. Much easier to deal with. Tap plastics has alot of different things that look like diamond plate, carbon fiber, brushed steel, etc.... After I cut it to shape, I took 120 and then 400 grit sandpaper to the edges and rounded them over.

...oh yeah, I used allthread and acorn nuts, through the plexi to hold it together. Post some pics when you finish. I want to see both the bikes as a comparison. Should be fun...

Thanks for the help. I made a template that works good but now i have to cut the diamond plate aluminum. it should make a huge difference. i hope to get it done this weekend. ill send picts soon.

Latest posts

Back