The "Casey Jones" done! (sorta)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my attempt to make something nice out of a Pacific Cycles Scwhinn that was parked in my garage. Not much is left of the original bike. I ordered a bunch of new parts from Choppers U.S.
IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

I picked up the cream Felts from karfer67 on Saturday! Personally i think they "make" the bike.
IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

Shown here with the "rockabilly boogy":
IMG_3453.jpg

I realised there were a couple more detail shots that i for got to post so I'll try to get those posted soon.
I also have a few more things to add before it is "complete"-- then again, are these projects ever really done?

I would love to hear your comments since this is my first Kustom build. Thanks for looking.

Regards,
Two Spot

Great use of every thing.But especialy color. You have set the standards very high for the build off. This is what a rat rod bike is. very different but not artsy fartsy. Thanks for the view. bartleydad

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the compliments. Perhaps I should move this over to the build off. I did mean this bike to be somewhat rat. The color is simply ruddy brown primer with cream graphics. I did put a clear matte lacquer over the whole deal though. The clear gave it a real nice satin like finish. Here is the dirty secret; the clear is just Testors Dullcote. It comes in tiny spray cans in the hobby shop.

Casey's face became the head badge:
IMG_3462.jpg

Hmmm... Lets compare:
IMG_3463.jpg

The sprocket i used is a DK milled alloy, iron cross chainring. A buddy of mine convinced me that it was the right choice to mount the sprocket with the all black side out. I tend to agree, after all it is a rat bike. The iron cross does add some interest when you are on the "wrong" side of the bike:
IMG_3465.jpg

Here is the "J" seatpost. The bend was done by a guy I know who is a union electrician. He just bent the stock straight post in his conduit bender. It is a nice gentle bend and hey-- no wrinkles!
IMG_3466.jpg

Casey signs off on the build:
IMG_3457.jpg

Regards,
Two Spot

Border collies rule! Love the pictures of your dog and bike.

S5001356.jpg

What are those clamps you used to hold the tank plate with?

Nice job on the bike. Very cool

The dog reminds me of an old cigarette ad.... "I'd rather fight than switch!" He is COOL!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the compliments. And Boarder Collies DO rule. Casey has a slight bit of "baggage" because he is a rescue. We have been very consistent with training and he has made huge progress. And hey, he likes to run along side when i am riding my bikes!

The clamps I used for the tank plate are "shaft collars" from mcmaster.com. I used aluminum ones. They also come in chrome, plain steel or stainless. There are many metric and U.S. sizes. I did have to saw a bit of the inside face of each of the collars to accommodate the thickness of the tank plate. They are very secure and I actually like the industrial look they give. I have a rule: if you can't hide your hardware make it bigger! I actually need to order some more. I am going to make a headlight mount using one and I will use one as a steer tube spacer too. Thanks again!

Regards,
Two Spot

I've seen this bike in person, and it is just as impressive. the paint job is super flawless. color came out awesome. how'd that chain work out two spot?

Latest posts

Back