@us56456712 31 day ride challenge bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do with the fenders?

• Reinstall rusty fenders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Install teal huffy fenders

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really like the bike from 2 bikes!
Your fork bearing swap got me thinking...

Just ignore this if you already know this, but those chrome cups the bearings sit in will come out of the head tube- in fact i do this every time i remove forks from a frame, then i put all the bearings, cones, the cups, and the threaded parts on the steer tube of the forks to keep all those parts together.

Just put a "stick" - i use a piece of rebar- in the tube and rest it against the cup lip inside the head tube. Then tap it with a hammer, switch the stick to the other side and the cup will walk out with a series of taps. Then i do the same thing to the top cup

To install I rest the bottom of the tube on my bench, gently start the cup with a hammer or mallet, then put a 2x4 (wood scrap) on cup and drive it home. The cups usulaly fit the tube, but i have had bearings, cones, and cups not be compatible with each other

I just like to keep those sets together for some reason

that hammered paint looks great!

Last edited:
That tank looks more like enthusiastic amateur than pro
11156415_10152892485601339_4907190502640939125_n.jpg

Instead of the rebar, I have a piece of electrical conduit for cup removal. I cut three slits in one end so that it expands to contact the cup in three spots to push it out. Clamp em back in with a threaded rod with a couple of nuts and big washers. I put everything in a zip bag to keep em together with everything else I take off the bike.

Really like the bike from 2 bikes!
Your fork bearing swap got me thinking...

Just ignore this if you already know this, but those chrome cups the bearings sit in will come out of the head tube- in fact i do this every time i remove forks from a frame, then i put all the bearings, cones, the cups, and the threaded parts on the steer tube of the forks to keep all those parts together.

Just put a "stick" - i use a piece of rebar- in the tube and rest it against the cup lip inside the head tube. Then tap it with a hammer, switch the stick to the other side and the cup will walk out with a series of taps. Then i do the same thing to the top cup

To install I rest the bottom of the tube on my bench, gently start the cup with a hammer or mallet, then put a 2x4 (wood scrap) on cup and drive it home. I have never had a cup not fit, but i have had bearings, cones, and cups not be compatible

I just like to keep those sets together for some reason

that hammered paint looks great!
Thanks for this!!!

So, great call on the headset cups.

I actually sized them up, and I’m not really sure how the fork swap worked, but the Huffy headset cups would not fit in the old Murray built frame.

All the hardware on the Huffy is metric....

I just got lucky. Maybe I’ll get out on my first ride and the thing will grind when I try to turn!!

I like the rebar trick for popping out the cups. I have and oak dowel, but it’s starting to splinter.

Thanks for the input and do good!!!

... the Huffy headset cups would not fit in the old Murray built frame.

All the hardware on the Huffy is metric....

I just got lucky. Maybe I’ll get out on my first ride and the thing will grind when I try to turn!!
Thanks for letting me know this, most of my "supply" is modern garbage, a lot of it swaps - but keeping the sets together has helped be sure more of it does

I'll bet how you have it will work and not grind!

Instead of the rebar, I have a piece of electrical conduit for cup removal. I cut three slits in one end so that it expands to contact the cup in three spots to push it out. Clamp em back in with a threaded rod with a couple of nuts and big washers. I put everything in a zip bag to keep em together with everything else I take off the bike.

Man i have a lot of zip lock bags full o' goodies!
I really like the threaded rod re-clamper idea, I am totally doing that!

It also works for the bottom bracket. Sometimes you have to fiddle with it a bit to make sure they're going in square
I was going to ask about that (BBs)- I may take a couple of pieces of flat material, drill three holes and make a permanent tool... Have you made a BB cup removal tool as well?

I don't have a bb cup removal tool. Those, I whack out using a cut section of a broom handle.
Likewise: I bought an oak dowel at Lowe’s for $8; use it on both headset cups and bottom brackets... cut it in half, I have 2!

They do splinter sometimes..... but for $8, I can rotate it!!!

Latest posts

Back