Villiers beach cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id been having problems with the primary belt not slipping when i wanted it to, i.e i couldnt pedal it without engaging the engine. And because of this i couldnt start the bike (i havent fixed the kickstarter to work yet... the teeth need tidying up). So i made a guide out of stainless, i figured this would be less abrasive against the belt then steel. It was a little tricky as i had to miss the carb.

Anyway i got it done and it works perfectly, now when the clutch is out it pedals like a bicycle again

Picture682.jpg

Picture687.jpg

Picture688.jpg

So now thats fixed i took it for a ride. YEEEEEEEE HAHHHHHHHH. Its not a rocketship, but more then fast enough and i couldnt get the smile off my face the entire ride. And some of the looks from people was priceless. The clutch worked fine and im guessing i got it up to around 60kmh. Very very cool. I have a few little issues, my fuel tap is leaking and also my exhaust, but i still havent sealed the exhaust as i planned to have it out again. Now i can fix it and do a couple other things. But i am wrapped with the first real ride. Im going to get a new plug, this is the one that i got with it.... looks very old.... gotta love these engines..... still going.... how many chinagirls will still be running in 70 years????

Picture689.jpg

Picture686.jpg

Picture684.jpg

Picture683.jpg

Picture685.jpg

I love it. Absolutely love it. Im in the process of rebuilding my Villiers Midget and this has just convinced me to hurry my .... up and get it into a bike :D

Thanks guys.... im very happy with the bike..... and today i rode the wheels off it. I rode it for around 5 hours and it never missed a beat, i do think i need to buy a plug for it though. It has its moments where for some unknown reason it seems to have more power and i can get up to 60kmh (speed limit) but most times it lags a bit and runs around 50kmh. Its slower off the line then a 50cc Chinagirl and will take off without pedalling but its slow and needs s couple pedals thrown in..... but once it gets going its soooooooooooo cool, sounds way better then a chinagirl and vibrates way less and you get the feeling it could do it all day everyday whereas i was almost waiting for my chinagirl to detonate half the time i ride it.

My only real problem is with my fuel tank, its leaking from the thread where the petcock meets the tank, i think the steel i used wasnt thick enough for the thread i tapped.... i have temporarily fixed it with good old soap.... but im wondering how i can fix that? Is there a fuel resitant loctite or sealant i can use? Is plumbers thread tape fuel resistant? Or is there some available? Any ideas?

Some pics while out on my ride today..... im itching to ride it more but its dark. Im running my bike without its stand as i need a better way to secure it while riding.....

Picture696.jpg

Picture697.jpg

Picture694.jpg

Picture695.jpg

Picture693.jpg

I should add that i havent even bothered to line the sheave with rubber or leather or paint the inner surface...... and i still only have the cheapo v-belts on atm..... so the belts may be slipping so i have plenty of improvements to make if i wish to

And i adjusted the clutch twice which is very easy (loosen/tighten 1 bolt), i adjusted it too tight and it ran worse, then i put it back

Im also thinking of maybe adding some racing style scallops on the tank in white and the color of the wheels and then age it with some steel wool...... What do you guys think?

Thanks Stocksucks, but i really dont want the bars any lower..... im 6"3 and those bars are low enough, i doubt my back could cope with lower bars.... have a look on the video and youll know what i mean

http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... ure691.mp4

so im quite happy with it for the time being......and i quite like the seat as is...... but i do appreciate your input

Top speed seems to be about 60kmh which is fast enough.... though i probably need to pay some attention to my v-belts to see if they are slipping under acceleration, and i plan to get a new sparkplug for it so i may get a tiny bit more mph out of her yet

Number one rule in an aircooled VW....NEVER let the fuel line get close to the exhaust manifold.

The bike looks great!

Thanks, ive got it to run a little quiter by sealing up the muffler.

Today was an absolutely beautiful day and as usual i took my pride and joy out for a ride.... youve probably seen too many photos of this but it was a gorgeous day. In Australia we are coming into summer and its starting to warm up. Soon it will be unbearably hot, but for now the temperature is just right and im taking advantage of it, and the water was like glass with no wind..... my other builds can wait :)

Picture716.jpg

Picture715.jpg

Picture714.jpg

Picture720.jpg

Picture725.jpg

I don't blame you for wanting to take that beauty out every chance you can get!!

Latest posts

Back