wheelie bars- need alittle insight

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda makes me want to build that bar I never built way back when, just use a seat bar, a pair of springer struts, a pair of Schwinn style seat bar clamps, spacer between the wheels, a bolt, nut and washers. Almost too easy, NOT alot of fabrication. I'm wondering, wouldn't these Razor wheels be better that sk8 board wheels? They're only $9.88 a pair at Wally World and are larger in diameter. What ya all think?

0081737800621_500X500.jpg

Here is a nickles worth of FREE advice!

Here is how I make these wheelie bars and install them, if you need the parts to make your own version keep me in mind. Mine are based more on an actual Drag Car wheelie bar, great for straigth line action with your shoes on! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6M0KmjO4-4

Quanah said:
Kinda makes me want to build that bar I never built way back when, just use a seat bar, a pair of springer struts, a pair of Schwinn style seat bar clamps, spacer between the wheels, a bolt, nut and washers. Almost too easy, NOT alot of fabrication. I'm wondering, wouldn't these Razor wheels be better that sk8 board wheels? They're only $9.88 a pair at Wally World and are larger in diameter. What ya all think?

0081737800621_500X500.jpg

Yes, once again I've done both and those Razor wheels roll over cracks better.
The one's on mine came from Wally World. Paid about the same price.

sweet little vid. thats pretty cool.

thats the type of wheelie bar i built the first time around. great for a straight lines, but not so good on the corners.
i might throw one on my raleigh fireball and build a whammo type version for the marauder.

I think I messed up. I thought it'd look better by cutting some length off the top struts, but this raises the wheels too high off the ground. It also sets the struts on the lower end of the sissy bar, making them less strong. Lowering the struts any more would really put them too close to the street IMO.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Spin

2015rat0001-16.jpg

spinman said:
I think I messed up. I thought it'd look better by cutting some length off the top struts, but this raises the wheels too high off the ground. It also sets the struts on the lower end of the sissy bar, making them less strong. Lowering the struts any more would really put them too close to the street IMO.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Spin

2015rat0001-16.jpg

Maybe you could purchase/fabricate a set of struts that would go to the seat post clamp?

Quanah said:
I wonder if one wheel might be better? Two would be best for straight wheelies. As long as the front wheel is spinning, you can control the lateral lean, by turning the bars left and right to allow the wheels gyro effect pull the bike that way.When it slows down,(f. wheel spin), you have to resort to alot more body english. Back in the day, I could ride a wheelie for about 1/4 mile, or until I just couldn't pedal fast enough anymore.The thing was you wanted to keep it up on the balancing point at all times, so you could go as SLOW as possible, when the front end drops down a bit and you have to pedal hard to get the front end back up, you gain alot of speed and eventually when you go faster and faster you can't pedal fast enough to keep the front wheel up, you simply run out of gear. I could turn 90 degree corners easy, but never could master a 360. Whe I was young and Wham-O came out with that bar, I was going to make one with a old seat bar, after all thats what the pic looks like anyway, but I never had any wheels, so it never got built, my sisters sk8 board had metal wheels if you can imagine that. :shock: I knew that wouldn't work out too well!

1966_Wham_OA-1.jpg
Sorry couldn't resisthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd4jRk1Pncg

I haven't finished them yet, but I am using a single wheel. I built a similar one a few years ago that taught my brother to ride without it. We set it up just past his center of balance. He would go as long as he could then lean back to "touch down" and reset his center of balance. This one is built for a 20" bike and will use sissy bar clamps on the rear and coaster brake arm straps for the front. I have thought about mass production, but don't have a clue where to start. If anyone here knows how or where to get things mass produced, please send me info.

003.jpg

004-2.jpg

Gold Street Customs said:
Quanah said:
I wonder if one wheel might be better? Two would be best for straight wheelies. As long as the front wheel is spinning, you can control the lateral lean, by turning the bars left and right to allow the wheels gyro effect pull the bike that way.When it slows down,(f. wheel spin), you have to resort to alot more body english. Back in the day, I could ride a wheelie for about 1/4 mile, or until I just couldn't pedal fast enough anymore.The thing was you wanted to keep it up on the balancing point at all times, so you could go as SLOW as possible, when the front end drops down a bit and you have to pedal hard to get the front end back up, you gain alot of speed and eventually when you go faster and faster you can't pedal fast enough to keep the front wheel up, you simply run out of gear. I could turn 90 degree corners easy, but never could master a 360. Whe I was young and Wham-O came out with that bar, I was going to make one with a old seat bar, after all thats what the pic looks like anyway, but I never had any wheels, so it never got built, my sisters sk8 board had metal wheels if you can imagine that. :shock: I knew that wouldn't work out too well!

1966_Wham_OA-1.jpg
Sorry couldn't resisthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd4jRk1Pncg

Hey! Gold Street Customs, are you laughin' at me? :cry: Does sound kinda funny now that I read it again. hehehe

icyuod2 said:
JoKeR63 said:
The skate truck system works well but the frame it's mounted to must be rigid enough to lean the truck.
I tried a couple of setups before settling on this, I can ride wheelies for blocks.
Plus it's a little bit safer for old farts like myself. :)

thats awesome! can we get a pic of the old fart doing a wheelie?

Finally dragged the old girl off the hook.

OGWE.jpg

I'm steering to avoid hitting the camera. :)

Old thread, but it seemed like the best place to put this info.
Found these patent drawings for a Mattel wheelie bar from 1965.

3321047mattelwheeliebar01.jpg

3321047mattelwheeliebar02.jpg

Back