πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁 - BO17 Build Journal - Finished in 3rd Place - 1937 Uncle Stretch Colson XLWB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think @Captain Awesome felt that way to when he saw it in person. He didn't realize how big the tires and the forks really are because they are in scale with the frame.
I need to take a pic with a regular sized bike next to it.
Limo is an understatement

It's impressively oversized while still feeling "just right". For me at 6'2 it feels so comfortable and natural. Everything @kingfish254 is doing with these bars is essential. It's not just aesthetics in this case. You need the perfect blend of function and reach

Also as noted earlier I can attest that a kickstand for this beast will be an endeavor. Any good purchase sits unusually high

In regards to a stand. I still haven't tried this vintage bolt on dropstand yet. I've had it since 2015 :D .
Since I don't plan on running full fenders, I'll need to secure it upright using a different method than a fender clip.
I have a couple of ideas around that though. Some are along the lines of what @handyandy1100 is doing for his build. Some sort of horizontal clip extended from the chanstay(s).

1658796590480.png

Last edited:
I love River Street in Savannah!

201961-20220724-164807.jpg

Years ago my wife and I stayed in a bed and breakfast in one of those buildings (can't remember which one). I just remember that it was in a corner room with balconies looking out over the river and we watched a nice fireworks display fired from a barge the first night there. It wasn't a holiday or anything so we were pretty sure they did it just because we were in town.:hi::giggle:

I love River Street in Savannah!

Years ago my wife and I stayed in a bed and breakfast in one of those buildings (can't remember which one). I just remember that it was in a corner room with balconies looking out over the river and we watched a nice fireworks display fired from a barge the first night there. It wasn't a holiday or anything so we were pretty sure they did it just because we were in town.:hi::giggle:

You're welcome. I told them you were in town. :D

I just took a stroll on google street view and it looks like the room we were in was right above The Mad Hatter.

Thanks for the fireworks!:D :thumbsup:

Come on back again and we'll ride!

That is funny, but it got me curious. I just had to go out and measure to see.
My bike is actually shorter with a wheelbase is 56" (142cm) and the overall length is 84" (213cm)

I looked up the classic Mini Cooper specs and they are actually longer than my bike
Wheelbase = 80" (204cm) and Overall length = 120" (305cm)

View attachment 201857

Don't bother me with Math. Just looking at the picture you can the Mini is smaller than the bike! LOL

Limo is an understatement

It's impressively oversized while still feeling "just right". For me at 6'2 it feels so comfortable and natural. Everything @kingfish254 is doing with these bars is essential. It's not just aesthetics in this case. You need the perfect blend of function and reach

Also as noted earlier I can attest that a kickstand for this beast will be an endeavor. Any good purchase sits unusually high
So you're saying that because it's all in proportion, you don't realize just how deceptively massive it is? Hmmm...

blastolene_indy.jpg

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a18200103/blastolene-indy-special-specialty-file/

Last edited:
Rolled the bike out to start looking at mounting the chainguard.

The guard has this type of bracket on the front, but I already plan on drilling it out.

20220726_183604.jpg

Instsead I plan to use this old bracket I pulled from a parts bucket.

20220726_181702.jpg

Here is a little workspace tip. I picked up some of these little activity trays at the dollar store a couple of years ago and love them. They are great for keeping what you are working with handy.

20220726_181744.jpg

20220726_182533.jpg

20220726_182539.jpg

Put the bracket on for a test fit and then taped up the guard and leveled it out.

20220726_182656.jpg

I got tired of trying to look past the big TRACER logo, and the foil tape in the rear, so I used a few pieces of electrical tape to murder out my guard.

20220726_183027.jpg
20220726_183032.jpg
20220726_183051.jpg
20220726_183136.jpg
20220726_183155.jpg

Pulled the bike away from the pond to test the guard and crank clearance. The new bracket will work fine, but I'll need to remove the existing bracket first to be able to properly position the new bracket and slide the guard forward enough so that the round medalian area of the front of the opening doesn't hit the cranks. All in all, I am pleased with this mockup and should be able to drill it all out and mount it soon. Time to go to dinner now though.

20220726_183443.jpg

20220726_183439.jpg

Well of course you could take the easy way out and cut the chain guard off shorter, or you could add a couple inches to the frame…
:cool2:

I’m just kidding of course. The truth is, a chain guard is just something I’m going to take off later.

Edit:

I just looked at the picture with the Rat Fink sprocket and chain guard. I would have to change one or the other.

Well of course you could take the easy way out and cut the chain guard off shorter, or you could add a couple inches to the frame…
:cool2:

I’m just kidding of course. The truth is, a chain guard is just something I’m going to take off later.

I will be trimming the tail end some once the final mounting position is finished. Chainguards can be killer design elements with a build. Just like tanks.

I think Holeshot was my only Build Off bike that didn't have a chainguard.

BEER RUN - BO6

1658884779431.png

Flexy - BO7

1658884824856.png

Firewing - BO8

1658884895452.png

starsNbars - BO9

1658885151217.png

VerBoten - BO10

1658885237659.png

SaltHammer - BO11

1658885301120.png

Rockafella - BO12

1658885409946.png

Western Sizzler - BO14

1658885553801.png

SteamRoller - BO15

1658885611864.png

HEXtreme - BO16

1658885727518.png

Last edited:
I’m not anti-chain guard from the standpoint of styling. That’s one of the few reasons one bicycle looks different from the next.

I just noticed that none of my bikes have chain guards.

I’ve never owned a bicycle that kept the chain guard.

:39:

Totally get it. It just made me think and then led me down a fun road of re-living days of build offs past.

Guard looks good. Was amazed at how normal this frame looked. When the chain and chain ring went on you could tell there was a stretch going on. Was wondering if it would look more stretched with the guard but the guard actually camouflages the long chain and chain ring so far from the tire. Very cool. Dig this one. :thumbsup:

In my Paint program, yes I'm still running Windows 7, where I created the wheelbase diagram on my laptop; those were the measurements I took with my metric ruler as the images appeared on my screen.

Guard looks good. Was amazed at how normal this frame looked. When the chain and chain ring went on you could tell there was a stretch going on. Was wondering if it would look more stretched with the guard but the guard actually camouflages the long chain and chain ring so far from the tire. Very cool. Dig this one. :thumbsup:
And Chad T comin' outta nowhere...lurking in the shadows of BO 17.... :grin:

Latest posts

Back