Tires? Who do we like to replace OEM tires?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run 32mm and 40mm tires, Schwalbe Marathon Pro's. I use Schwalbe because I ride my skinny tires on dirt and gravel roads a lot. Marathon tires are incredibly tough and flat resistant. I also have a pair of 700 x 32C Gatorskins that I really like. I use Velocity and Sun rims on all my bikes and have not had tire mounting issues. As us56456712 mentioned all tires need to be easy to dismount for repair while riding. I have had to replace one of my 27" Marathon Pro's with Gatorskin because the Marathons are just not available at the present time. I guess worldwide supply issues. For my style of riding tubeless creates more problems than it solves so I use tubes in all my tires.

Sometimes it's worth buying a whole used bike, just to get some tires. If I look at a used bike with BAD tires, it's almost not worth buying.
Spot on! I just picked up this 2005 Alloy Schwinn for the equivalent of USD $70 to snag the Typhoon tires. The bike looks to have been ridden only a few tires. Those tires are unobtanium downuder.

I cleaned and service the bike and fitted a decent set of wheels just to take it for a ride. The tires on it now are Electro Retrorunners that came off a $35 lady’s bike. So are the rims but I had a SA kick back hub laced to the rear.
A0EE67D2-71EA-4D58-9DBD-7DAFC3B0115B.png

038C5253-E2B1-4E15-996B-6EAA1E7FFDFD.jpeg

Personally like the Maxxis Holy rollers on the klunker. Rant makes a street tire thats very affordable too and holds up well.
Not crazy about the old cruiser tire look and I rarely go with used tires. But used bikes are definitely a source of parts. The sun here in AZ kills tires fast if they've been left outside

Anything I can get at a lbs, that isn't generic cruiser tires. Last ratrod had Kenda Kwest. My LaJolla has these red Chin Shen tires on them. My Cranbrook has two different tires and wheel sizes, don't remember what they are, but the treads are almost exactly the same.

Barn bikes up here are remarkably preserved, presumably due to the cold winters and relatively mild summers. We rarely reach 100°f. I have a set of 65 year old Dunlop tires on my CCM that I could probably still use. Unfortunately, they're in ridiculous Canadian sizes, and can't be used on standard rims.
7aa787f5-0033-46db-b61e-6ad9904ab225.jpeg

I usually go with used tires, the Duck is currently wearing a borrowed set of 26x2.125 flame tread slicks from a parts bike I bought.
One time at the Treasure Hunt liquidation store, I scored a pair of Bell Innova 26 x 1.75, they seem ok for light duty. I know they're SprawlMart stuff, but for 6$ I don't mind. Maybe I'll give them a shot, the fatter flames felt a little sluggish this morning.
For a more performance street/light dirt tire, I grabbed a set of Michelin Country Rock 26x1.75, that's a fun tire. Fast tread, stickier compound, but I expect faster wear due to the softness

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back