‘Humpster’

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pic status update:
Got 2 coats of color on everything, gonna let it cure for a couple of days. Then, wet sand with 1000 and start clear coating, decals, etc..
Still spraying out my test panel for the final effect
I really need to get over my problems with paint, you seem to get more pleasure out of it...

I really need to get over my problems with paint, you seem to get more pleasure out of it...
I try to use it as an ‘escape’ from day-to-day life stressors. I do the same with yard work.
That and I’m a ‘nut’/‘control freak’ about it….🤪🤪🤪

Got the cable guides ground off yesterday.
Just gotta wire wheel them a bit more and lay down a little Bondo.
View attachment 165817View attachment 165818View attachment 165819

Of course this didn’t occur without incident…🙄
Being the idiot I am, I removed the guard because it was interfering with the new grinding disc. It jumped and took a trough of flesh off from knuckle to knuckle.
Angle grinder 1, Dr. T 0.
View attachment 165820
Have one of those healing up as well. Happens to the best of us

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the park paint stand?

Get it? Sandbox? Park?

The best Dad jokes always need explaining
It is the area of my yard where the previous owner had their kids playground stuff. It’s 16x24, framed with railroad ties. It’s the future spot for my shop, that’s of course when the cost of lumber comes back down.

Making some progress on the paint, the frame is about 25%, chainguard 33%, fork 90% (still have one little detail left on it)
Here’s some pics of the fork I got from @OddJob, soaked the cups/bearings/headset pieces in ‘low country marsh water’ ( actually it’s a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and Simple Green) gotta love pre-regulation 70s Schwinn chrome, everything came out clean as new
50237E73-AFCC-4FA7-80EA-822255B02D0D.jpeg
0117FD86-F62E-47D8-B5FE-82EB0E07BDFD.jpeg
FA05D535-E4B2-4F8E-BF92-393BF044AABF.jpeg

Hopefully the weather will hold up and I can keep things rolling along

For those keeping score at home, I stripped the fork to bare metal, then a coating of Rust Reformer to reduce future issues, then 2 coats of white primer, 800 grit wet sand, 2 coats of satin white, 2000 grit wet sand, 2 coats of Dead Flat, done. Getting the paint smooth, let the clear coat go on perfectly. Fingers crossed the rest goes this well.

That's a detailed prep and paint process. Looks like you are getting good results so far.

PaiNt oN~!

Great looking paintwork brother!!!
You're prepwork is always top shelf!

So, everything is painted, stenciled, decals applied. Just letting it cure for a few days before I start assembly. Ordered some lights which should arrive Monday. Got a vintage styled front bullet light with LED bulb and my favorite speed sensing XLite 100 tail light.
No pics until I start building, but here’s a mock-up I did on this frame a little over 3 years ago. The only piece I’m using are the handlebars, heck I don’t even live there anymore! 🤣
4B7880EF-A4A3-44E7-A21F-B0E61CC2DE6D.jpeg

Pressed the BB cups in last night, which led to this
01252FD9-B958-485F-B494-51922869BBE5.jpeg

Then, before I knew it, this happened
47F37C95-5A60-47EA-8883-2A171760FA25.jpeg

Took it for a 2 mile shakedown, no issues at all.
Quiet, tight, Automatix shifts up and down smoothly. Just need to do a few final things like fenders and lighting. Then find the right backdrop and lighting for final pics.

Looks like, I’ll make the deadline!

That is one beautiful bike brother!!! Truly can't wait to see it in person and check out the nuances of the gloss on flat. That paint is super FLATtering!

Pressed the BB cups in last night, which led to this
View attachment 168367

Then, before I knew it, this happened
View attachment 168368

Took it for a 2 mile shakedown, no issues at all.
Quiet, tight, Automatix shifts up and down smoothly. Just need to do a few final things like fenders and lighting. Then find the right backdrop and lighting for final pics.

Looks like, I’ll make the deadline!
chefs-kiss-french-chef.gif

Latest posts

Back