"120 tooth MINI-VELO"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you considered an internally geared hub? Keep the chain line straight and have more gearing range.
I have, just they are hard to find second-hand over here and I have no room in the budget for new, it may be an option later on, but will run single for the moment. ;)

Luke.

Take a 19 tooth and cut off half of one tooth leaving you with an 18.5 tooth and you'll be set!

Ohh wait it doesn't work like that does it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do the 120 with the 70 as your inner ring, get the best of both and it could look incredible!! as a single the 120 rocks!!

Troy

do the 120 with the 70 as your inner ring, get the best of both and it could look incredible!! as a single the 120 rocks!!

Troy
Just trying to imagine the front derailleur size I would need... :confused:

Luke.

about 10 inchs but you got time to pull it off and the skill to!!

Troy
Oh, you are actually serious?
I am pretty sure I would have chain pick up issues changing from low to high and also the amount of chain slack that would need to be taken up with a derailleur would be huge! Love the idea, just not sure I can make it work...

Luke.

Finished up the work on the front sprocket today, when I initially welded it I made the mistake of not using my panel clamps as I intended and also putting too much heat into the centre web too quick and the welded area shrunk more there than on the outer ring area, so it had a tin oil can effect, kind of popping in and out as you rode.

Easy fix today, cut the weld in the centre web again, tacked it to the crank arm to hold it, that fixed the popping issue but then added extra supports radiating out from the crank arm for yet more stiffness, a little sanding and polishing later it was all done, did the leading edge tapering on the teeth too, as it was still a raw cut straight off the laser cutter, so soon I had this:

12586869424_8578fc5820_z.jpg

Picking up a 20 tooth freewheel tomorrow if they have one in stock, otherwise I will have to order it, pretty much done then aside from stripping the rest of the paint and clearcoating it. May actually have time to build the timetrial bars yet, have been leaving them to the end in case I ran out of time.

Got a very low quality ride video, unfortunately the battery in out proper video camera was flat, as were the two spare batteries... Stuck using our 8 year old digital camera which very much not HD and picks up every little noise:

Will get a better video once the main camera is up and running.

Luke.

Rollin' on man. Looks like you can get up to a good clip even with those little tires. I like it.

Carl.

So tell us how hard is it to get started. I was waiting to see you start from a stop in your video.
I will post up a start video when the new 20t freewheel is on, it is not too bad at the moment, but it is a bit high.
Rollin' on man. Looks like you can get up to a good clip even with those little tires. I like it.

Carl.
Oh yeah, it flies! Equivalent gearing to the 120-20 it will end up with would be a 73-16, 83-18 or 92-20 front-rear combination on a 26" bike. My old 10 speed racer that I clocked 60kph (37.28mph) on when I was in highschool had a 52-13 top gear on 27" tires that equals 108 gear", this bike will be 120 gear"...

Luke.

for got to add the :crazy: icon on the 2 front ring post the rear derailer would be a good foot long!!!!!!! absolutely love the look of the big gear!!

Troy

Went into my favourite of the local bike shops today, they have the biggest range of parts and tools, the best prices and are more than willing to help or bounce ideas off.

Unfortunately they had no 20 tooth freewheels in stock but have one on its way for me, I mentioned what it was for and they asked to see a picture, showed them a pic on my phone and they want me to bring it in when it is done so they can get some pics and go for a ride, then I mentioned the Swingbike, and now I have to take it in too! :grin:

Also picked up some bar tape ($15) and a Shimano type BBB freewheel/BB remover ($20) and they only charged me $25 total! The freewheel will only be $15, so you can see why I keep going back to that shop! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Started work on the aero bars today, they actually worked out exactly the way they were planned, really surprised they came together so nice...

Some pool fencing and some budget MTB bars made these:

12653312694_7fd1a4d68b_z.jpg

12652964743_ac68c2605e_z.jpg

Still deciding if I want to go further and add on the tuck position bars and elbow cradles, not really necessary but it would add to the race bike look.

Took it for a ride with the new bars, due to them being slightly wider and at a better angle they make the bike so much easier to ride, you can really get out of the saddle and crank on them nicely. The bike is now actually rideable with the 18 tooth rear just due to the better riding position, but will still go to the 20 tooth when it arrives.

Luke.

Latest posts

Back