26" Schwinn Rumbler (New Mods)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's already a thread on the Rumbler, but I figured I'd start my own since I'm in possession of one now.
On the proverbial Fence:
Yep, I was on the fence about this, but the deciding factor was that I can't build one for the price of $369.00 shipped. Here in So-cal any decent straight bar frame is just priced too high. The deals I see members finding on here are far and few between in California. So, after 1-2 too may IPA's late Wednesday night, I hit the purchase button. Less than two days later it was in my garage. It helped that City Grounds is here in Huntington Beach an hour from me. I've heard and read others comments stating that they dont like the dissimilar tubing sizes, angle of the straight bar, or aggressive steep head angle. These are ALL the reasons I like it. It doesn't look like everyone else's. Same reasons my hot rod isn't a '32 Ford...
Out of the box & assembled:
It was packed very nicely with everything wrapped plastic and or cardboard. The only issue I found was that the front bearings felt like they were grinding a bit, so I loosened them up. They seem to be free now, but I feel that there is too much end play, so to speak. May just need to be taken apart properly cleaned and greased better. Will advise later when I investigate. Other than that, I had zero issues with assembly. Rims are nice and true, rear brake required zero adjustment, cranks/chain are perfect as is the stem/bars.
Finish:
I was hoping it was gong to arrive chrome, but for the price I get it. Its powdercoated with what they call in the industry "Extreme Chrome". In all actuality it looks just like an old dull polished aluminum. That being said, the finish is very nice. All the blue bits and rims are just candy blue/clear powdercoat over aluminum to appear like blue anodize. If these companies would quit using a gloss clear powder over the translucent colors and use a matte clear, it would actually look exactly like old anodize. I know this, because I've done it before. I've worked with a few powdercoaters in my industry, as with my Harleys and Hot Rods hobby, too.
First quick ride impression:
Its over a 100f outside, so I only went down the street and back. Being that I'm used to a 3 speed, the first thing I did was start grabbing for lower gears. If I plan to do anything other than flat land/strand riding, I'll need to re-lace the rear hub with a Nexus 3 speed like my other bikes. It performed very smoothly, with no weird noises, clicks, or ticks. I'm 5' 9" with a 29.5" inseam and long gorilla arms, so I'm thinking a layback seat post is in order. In addition, I'd like to throw a set of taller 80's style chrome BMX bars, slightly wider seat and some blue anodized bear trap pedals. Should be good after that, easy bolt-ons.
Pix:
Just a quick couple, I'll provide more detailed ones later. Just too dang hot outside right now.
IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

CG ad.jpg

Last edited:
There's already a thread on the Rumbler, but I figured I'd start my own since I'm in possession of one now.
On the proverbial Fence:
Yep, I was on the fence about this, but the deciding factor was that I can't build one for the price of $369.00 shipped. Here in So-cal any decent straight bar frame is just priced too high. The deals I see members finding on here are far and few between in California. So, after 1-2 too may IPA's late Wednesday night, I hit the purchase button. Less than two days later it was in my garage. It helped that City Grounds is here in Huntington Beach an hour from me. I've heard and read others comments stating that they dont like the dissimilar tubing sizes, angle of the straight bar, or aggressive steep head angle. These are ALL the reasons I like it. It doesn't look like everyone else's. Same reasons my hot rod isn't a '32 Ford...
Out of the box & assembled:
It was packed very nicely with everything wrapped plastic and or cardboard. The only issue I found was that the front bearings felt like they were grinding a bit, so I loosened them up. They seem to be free now, but I feel that there is too much end play, so to speak. May just need to be taken apart properly cleaned and greased better. Will advise later when I investigate. Other than that, I had zero issues with assembly. Rims are nice and true, rear brake required zero adjustment, cranks/chain are perfect as is the stem/bars.
Finish:
I was hoping it was gong to arrive chrome, but for the price I get it. Its powdercoated with what they call in the industry "Extreme Chrome". In all actuality it looks just like an old dull polished aluminum. That being said, the finish is very nice. All the blue bits and rims are just candy blue/clear powdercoat over aluminum to appear like blue anodize. If these companies would quit using a gloss clear powder over the translucent colors and use a matte clear, it would actually look exactly like old anodize. I know this, because I've done it before. I've worked with a few powdercoaters in my industry, as with my Harleys and Hot Rods hobby, too.
First quick ride impression:
Its over a 100f outside, so I only went down the street and back. Being that I'm used to a 3 speed, the first thing I did was start grabbing for lower gears. If I plan to do anything other than flat land/strand riding, I'll need to re-lace the rear hub with a Nexus 3 speed like my other bikes. I'm 5' 9" with a 29.5" inseam and long gorilla arms, so I'm thinking a layback seat post is in order, so I can pull the bars back parallel with the forks. In addition, I'd like to throw a set of taller 80's style chrome BMX bars, slightly wider seat and some blue anodized bear trap pedals. Should be good after that, easy bolt-ons.
Pix:
Just a quick couple, I'll provide more detailed ones later. Just too dang hot outside right now.
View attachment 137636
View attachment 137637
Thanks for the first impressions report. I too like the placement of the straight bar and the aggressive geometry. It's definitely not like them other girls!

Seems like a legit opportunity for someone not looking to build up an urban bomber

Recent Mods:
Swapped: taller bars, grips, seat, seat post, seat post clamp, valve caps (LOL), chain and pedals.
Added: crossbar pad (I have the matching top bar/stem too but, I still may change all. I have another idea that's gong to require a trip to my buddies upholstery shop. Also added chain tensioners. Those were a pain, used two different sets to make one set fit/work properly. Now, I wish these 105+ days would go so I can ride more!
IMG_2355.jpg
IMG_2356.jpg
IMG_2347.jpg
IMG_2349.jpg
IMG_2346.jpg
IMG_2345.jpg

Last edited:
Swapped out the oem brake assy for a BOX Blue. Man, these are so nice for the money. This is the extend reach flavor, they have a closer reach as well.View attachment 143134
Eager for some feedback. Only know one person running Box and they rave about it

Eager for some feedback. Only know one person running Box and they rave about it
One of the guys in our car club has 3 daughters who race BMX. They all run BOX components, he's the one who recommend them to me. First impression is bang for the buck. Not cast, all billet and reversible. Seems they should have a much higher price tag. Really smooth action. I have mine adjusted so that a quick, very short pull will slow you down. A slightly harder pull with a fraction more travel will lock you up. The oem had way different geometry, far longer pull even at best adjustment. This is just stock pads too. I plan on replacing with the Kool Stop pads.

Last edited:
They're not shy about spending money on advertising. Pull Magazine was full of Box ads and sponsorships and giveaways. Their stuff looks good. Really good.
They have an MTB section on their site too, but it's not that extensive a couple of wheels and some groupsets
Edit: now that I've looked at it, their 9 speed setup is interesting.

Just stumbled on this thread... now I wanna find me one of these. Great looking bike!
Thanks! I ride it about 3-4 times a week. Its been great. Good luck to ya'. Post up if you find one. In addition to mine, they made blue on blue, and black on gold.

Just stumbled on this thread... now I wanna find me one of these. Great looking bike!
City Grounds still has them available when I just checked. Before they were a large company and had just a couple of SoCal shops, I frequented their Costa Mesa, CA shop on the regular. I've dealt with them since moving to CO and have always had good results with them.

City Grounds still has them available when I just checked. Before they were a large company and had just a couple of SoCal shops, I frequented their Costa Mesa, CA shop on the regular. I've dealt with them since moving to CO and have always had good results with them.
I cant find them on there? Haven't seen any on there for quite some time.

I hate those things.
my daughter got burnt by a bad schwinn.com scam.
the site looked legit, some bike were on sale with a NICE discount…
Total scam.
but instead of a new bike, she got her money back and we built up a 1981 schwinn world tour for her.

I missed that URl, nice catch.
I bought it until I clicked on the home button. Unfilled out template with generic placeholders...still thought it might just be an upgrade in progress. Then another search revealed that the site had been listed in 'beta'...for ten years! :crazy:

Thanks! I ride it about 3-4 times a week. Its been great. Good luck to ya'. Post up if you find one. In addition to mine, they made blue on blue, and black on gold.
Just noticed on this old thread that I made a type-o. I meant my combo, blue on gold and black on gold.

Latest posts

Back