'53 Bel Airflow Shelby: The 7th Annual OddJob Awards! Pg 22!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks promising!
If it was for me, I would try to get the wide white line lower onto chain level and further forward so that the chrome part could be the front edge of the chain cover.
As a general idea: try to interpret not to imitate.
I hope that makes some sense... [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem moto g(7) power mit Tapatalk

I see the trim as part of a chain guard. The existing fenders fit quite well though.
'53 in paint color4.jpg

@SwissGuy , yes, I see what you were implying, and then @hamppea took it to the next level!!

The one main issue is, you guys are only seeing this in two-dimensional form. The crank arm is so close to the chain stay ( on both sides actually) that there isn't room for any 'shape' to a chain guard at all. It would have to hug the chain stay and seat tube very tightly and be pretty much a flat 'sheet' of metal with no curvature at all. That's why I stopped short of the chain ring and crank in my drawing.

Exhibit A is proof : an Airflow original chain guard, with a radius scratch that indicates where the crank rubbed, likely for years, because of the close tolerance.

181976191_897623227458549_8316523267392214369_n.jpg

See the rusted rubbed area on the guard?

So, even though I had dreamed / designed such a set up as hamppea has so beautifully and graphically shown above, the real world application wouldn't look anything close to that curvy, voluptuous skirt and guard combo. The possible use of my dog leg crank, which I'm in the process of removing a completely rusted on skiptooth chain ring from (and not having any luck) would give me a bit more wiggle room. But maybe even then not as much as I would like or need.

I will however, save that photo in the 'what might have been' and 'extremely cool' files in my Pictures and USB drive! :grin:

Dig the idea, but not a fan of the filled triangle seat tube area. @hamppea nailed a good look, but it's ultimately your build.

If you could figure out a way to avoid clearance issues, and get something a bit more flowy? Whatever flowy is.

I went to sleep last night with visions of 'double sided chain guards' dancing in my head; and that was before I read your comment this morning hamppea! I think with the full skirts the bike has a little 'heavy look' to it, which in all honesty, so does the '53 Chevy. But maybe for a bicycle styled '53, I want to keep it a little 'lighter look' ?

I'm determined now to find a way to either hover around or cover part of the chain ring to achieve the look of the back end of the Chevy. And I like the double sided idea too. I agree on the adding of trim for my depth and 'relief' . Imagine a similar guard to my drawing, where the outline of the stripe panel is a raised trim, maybe even just a stick on vinyl type, with some raised lettering in the panel as well. I had originally made the guard much wider, so the black coloring is just what I took away from my first sketch. Pretend it's not there.

chain guard idea.jpg

I want to try and carry the shape of the tank through to the chain guard. More rounded front than what the stock Airflow guard offers, as you can see in my mock up below.

184042802_1187753808339849_7866224047109704864_n.jpg

@hamppea , those bars you posted are very cool! That style is what I had originally hoped for this build. They would emulate the front end of the bike perfectly~!

Wow! You've been noodling hard on the BelAir theme. I love this path you are riding down. I like the skirt idea, but I also understand trying to make sure the visual weight of the build doesn't get out of hand. I would suggest something in between.

I would suggest building up the chainguard so that you get the proper front chrome/silver accent in front of the sprocket.

1621259669777.png

But don't taper the rear of the guard or end it at the dropouts. Continue the straight line of the BelAir accent all the way back and integrate it to the fender. But leave the space above the accent open with wheel exposed.

1621259836205.png

One more suggestion. Is the front fender rotated too far forward? Ideally that fender brace should be horizontal to flow with the rear horizontal trim line. JC Higgins always did an awesome job with this trim alignment and I think it would tie in well with your car theme too.

1621260068991.png

Thanks for the ideas and insights, KF!
The front fender is mounted on the rocker arm of the susp fork so it moves with it. I used the existing hole in the fender to mount, so it may be a little forward of normal.

I ' m not sure I mind having it covering a bit more on the front though. And the fender tips of front and rear match up pretty well.

I'm definitely ready to move beyond the design phase of this chain guard deally boo. Spent over two hours this afternoon pondering shapes and dimensions and angles and curves. Anyway....

I decided to video my work today, and put it in that form so you can get an up close and personal scoop on my motives and intentions. And then shoot them down in rapid fire fashion! :21: JK!

And here's a still screenshot for you adept photoshoppers to express your 'ideas'.

186468853_3831823026930566_5218223163311917605_n.png

"Cussin' and Pastin'" :D :D :D

186468853_3831823026930566_5218223163311917605_n copy 2.jpg

Sorry OJ, think I making matters worse. Work on another part, return later. What you're doing is cool. I suggest rounding the front. Lines do not have to necessarily follow anything.

I understand the constraints. 5'' is a typical width between crank arms. I like the idea of going below the chainstay though. It's rarely done. My model would have to slide in from the rear, over or behind the drop outs.

@hamppea , what you did there is so dad gum cool! And yes, I agree, going below the chain stay really adds some 'girth' to it, very '53 Chev like~!

And, I had already decided, with some 'influence input' from a couple of other builders, that my 'hump' in my video version is too much. So I had come up with this as an alternative....

bel airflow chain idea 1.jpg

But after seeing yours, maybe I could drop it some more and get closer to this....

bel airflow chain idea 2.jpg

And your use of the blues and grays and chrome has me thinking, they tie in really nicely with my blue-gray rims, and I do like the blue on the fenders already. Hmmmm....

Latest posts

Back