(BOTEN) "OUTLAW" ...Withdrawn from the build-off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update 2!

Made some changes to the plan to suit the steel I have available, so there is an update on that, plus I show the tires and wheels for the build too.

I hope you appreciate the high production values of this video, especially the part where I almost trip over a gearbox laying on the ground while showing the steel and the fly that landed on the microphone right at the end! :rofl:

Luke.

Cool video. I forgot you mentioned the fly and thought one got into my headphones. :oops:

So is the video loaded to your own account, or is it the account Rat Rod mentioned?

Glen.

So is the video loaded to your own account, or is it the account Rat Rod mentioned?

Glen.
These are just on my own account, not sure yet what RatRod is intending with the RRB account, but when that decision is made I can make them available to him if he wants them.

Luke.

Looking good, I am curious to see the single sided swing arm. In the weeks leading up to the build off I was thinking of doing a single sided front fork so I didn't have to obstruct the chrome side of my rim but not sure how to do it and make it strong enough. I might still try it ... Anyway good luck can't wait to see it finished

Looking good, I am curious to see the single sided swing arm. In the weeks leading up to the build off I was thinking of doing a single sided front fork so I didn't have to obstruct the chrome side of my rim but not sure how to do it and make it strong enough. I might still try it ... Anyway good luck can't wait to see it finished
I will try to show how I want to do it in the next video or two, hopefully I can give enough detail that you might be able to make it work on yours too. Alternatively you can look at my very first build on the site which I never finished, it used 3 piece MTB cranks as the axle hub but I never finished it, my new idea is an extension of that but using the stronger 3 piece splined BMX cranks...

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...eight-build-fatbob-changes.65514/#post-630838

Luke.

Kangaroo leather...really? that alone ups the cool factor (I'm sure Skippy doesn't think so). Wonder if they sell it in the states. I would bond it to my seat just for the reaction I would get

Kangaroo leather...really? that alone ups the cool factor (I'm sure Skippy doesn't think so). Wonder if they sell it in the states. I would bond it to my seat just for the reaction I would get
Yep! A hide and a half of genuine grade A kangaroo leather, stained and weathered to vintage honey with beige flecks. Should go really nice with the Indian red frame and gold wheels... ;)

17341691036_9d38a20690_z.jpg

Never done leatherwork before, never mind wet shrinking/moulding and possibly stamping, looking forward to trying though!

Luke.

Also is it sad that I am a bit jealous of your giant pile of parts and material.
:21: I will have to show my rack of donor bikes in the next video!
Thanks for the comps, hope to have some real building done soon!

Luke.

No progress to report, I did pick up a leafspring today and I am currently in the process of drawing the scale drawing out so that I can transfer it to a build board, then the real work can get started!

Luke.

Sounds like progress to me! Just out of curiosity, what kind of leaf spring are you using. I assume one from a car would be far too stiff to work in this application.

Sounds like progress to me! Just out of curiosity, what kind of leaf spring are you using. I assume one from a car would be far too stiff to work in this application.
I bought the lightest trailer one I could find locally, a 3 leaf rated to 300kg (650lbs), but I will only be using one side of it, so I guess that halves it, plus if it is too stiff I will remove a leaf from it too, that along with the added leverage I am building into the rockers, hopefully will make it soft enough to work... But who knows! Just going to try it and see...

Luke.

Here is the scaled drawing 100mm boxes (4"), you can see I have gone back to the twin curve down tube, not sure how I am going to do it, but I am going to try:

17239856479_8b30daa308_z.jpg

Yes, that is a 7 foot wheelbase, turns out almost identical to BigJim in length and height, I must just like those ratios because I just drew this out at what I thought looked good, this is the first time the measurements have been worked out, just scaled from the tire size... :39:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back