Buyer Beware....Walmart Chain Tool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to Wally yesterday and got a new chain for my Renegade. While there grabbed the Bell chain breaker for 4.96. Wasnt expecting much for 5 bucks but figured id give it a try. Within one minute it was broke in my hand. As i applied some slight pressure to the rivit (practicing) it broke into 2 pieces. If you do much chain work go invest in a real chain breaker tool and leave this piece of junk alone. Now i get to fight the service desk for my money back.

Yeah those Bell chain breakers are a joke. I bought a can opener that was the same way. The gears stripped before it actually opened a can. :roll: I got a new (old) one from the flea market and it works great.

That is why I hold my chain tool in a certain way, I put it in my palm tightly then with two of my index & middle finger holding the end your pressing the chain pin towards to keep it from breaking.

i finaly got a small park chain breaker last weekend. i used it more times in that couple days than i've ever got out of any bell chain breaker i've brought.

seems like i'm always broke, so i'd run over to walmart and buy their $5 one (also much closer to me that any bike shop), get a couple uses out of it before the threads stripped, then the next time i needed a breaker, i'd end up back there buying another. the last two broke before i got one thing done (actually i took the second one back before it broke 'cause i could tell it was about to. i think right now they have an especially bad batch).

believe me, the price difference is worth it.

Buck Masterson said:
The Chinese crap we are sold is getting disgusting. Even GM is making cars there now. "hope" and "change" I think not.
Yeah, hope and change. We HOPE it will CHANGE. :lol:

First thing to do with the Bell one is LUBE IT! Then make sure you're pressing the pin squarely. If the tip mushrooms over (and it will) grind it off.

Just about ANYTHING Chinese must be lubed before use, including the fan I just bought. :D

I wore out 2 of the cheapo chain tools before I spent $18 on a good one from the bike shop. It's lasted 2 years and been used dozens of times.

JoKeR63 said:
Just about ANYTHING Chinese must be lubed before use.
So true, I can't begin to tell you how many Walmart bikes I have bought new to part out and during disassembly I find the bearings dry. And not just one either, wheel bearings, crank bearings, steering bearings, everything is dry. No grease, not even a little oil. And people wonder why they don't last more than a year. :roll: I'm surprised I haven't found one with no bearings at all and some kind of rice stuffed in there to quiet it down. Ooops can't give them any ideas.

Latest posts

Back