Celtonia? Need some info.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this bike a few days ago. Clearly it's a Celtonia, whatever that is. I can't seem to find ANYTHING about it online. Help please. I need some info on it...especially value.

CELTONIA_zps67f103d1.jpg

CELTONIAe_zpsdbc8a44f.jpg

CELT_zps3434996d.jpg

The hub is kind of helpful and a close up of the shifter, the serial # with an idea of where it is on the bike, the dropouts, the attachment point for the seat stays to under the seat, the lugs, the chainring, the front hub the hoops, the light bracket, the bottom bracket ( is it a Bayliss Wylie? Does it have patent numbers on the cups? Covers, sprocket etc) sweet head badge . If some one has one they are going to recognize it right off. There were just so many English bike shops that badged bikes it is hard to nail one down without a little more info. Those sturmey hubs have numbers on them to date them. The shifters changed slightly over the years. The dropouts were consistent with frame suppliers. The bottom brackets tell a story and so does the light bracket. The gooseneck and makers marks hidden under them on the bars. A little more info man. Just sayin

It wasn't me I swear.

The hub is kind of helpful and a close up of the shifter, the serial # with an idea of where it is on the bike, the dropouts, the attachment point for the seat stays to under the seat, the lugs, the chainring, the front hub the hoops, the light bracket, the bottom bracket ( is it a Bayliss Wylie? Does it have patent numbers on the cups? Covers, sprocket etc) sweet head badge . If some one has one they are going to recognize it right off. There were just so many English bike shops that badged bikes it is hard to nail one down without a little more info. Those sturmey hubs have numbers on them to date them. The shifters changed slightly over the years. The dropouts were consistent with frame suppliers. The bottom brackets tell a story and so does the light bracket. The gooseneck and makers marks hidden under them on the bars. A little more info man. Just sayin

It wasn't me I swear.

Thanks for the info....I'll take some more pics and find some numbers!

Celtonia was the name given to a mainstream Phillips line of bicycles after WWII. All I have here are prewar Phillips but those bottom brackets do not match my Raleigh or Hercules the same age. Nice bike. Those black ones don't even need touch up paint just get the rust off and use black shoe polish on it and buff it. They look awesome. That AW hub is one of the easiest to service too. Just watch out if you drop a tiny spring (there are too hair springs behind the pawls) you are going to have a bad time. That Wrights saddle is pretty common too. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a replacement. Clean that up and hit a tweed ride you will thank yourself for it trust me. Use the small Phillips grips and find a full chain case for it.
2d3e99df5b7007e1f2cfd229dcd4c68a.jpg

It wasn't me I swear.

Last edited:
Phillips. Cool...
Got any links to any websites or anything with any info on these things?
Are they worth anything? I got it for next to nothing and was going to "hot rod" it a little with different parts and all, but if it's worth something, I'd like to keep it as original as possible. Maybe just clean it up and fix the spokes and get it rideable.

Finding out that it's from the 50's has me leaning toward preserving it more.

Hot rodding an English bike go ahead I guess. They called that a club bike and it was pretty common. There are plenty of vintage English three speed clubs. Roadsters, Sports and Club bikes. The club bikes were hot rods then. It's a cool bike. My friends in other countries get pretty excited about the pre Raleigh acquisition bikes man. I do too actually. I like the 60's as much as any one but finding one from before they all were bought out is sweet

It wasn't me I swear.

Look for English three speed blogs and forums. I am at my phone so I don't have my links I will send you some in a message later. I would start by googling the tweed rides

It wasn't me I swear.

I think I'm going to preserve it. I think it is a cool bike and the more I learn about it, the more I like it. I've been looking at Phillips info and it seems there is a lot of that online. Thanks for getting me on the right path with this bike.

There are a lot of guys out there that down the other English bikes. Phillips are bad ash that's why Raleigh bought them. They were trying to buy out their competition.

It wasn't me I swear.

After 1960, Raleigh was the manufacturer of most of the English 3 speeds. I had a few Hercules 3 speeds growing up, they were just a notch under the quality of the Raleigh 3 speeds, but still good bikes. But before 1960, I think they all were great quality. The chrome will probably clean up nicely and as stated above, the black paint will shine with a little work.

Latest posts

Back