Getting weird CL vibes on my bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a very long story, short. I am selling my 95' Specialized Hardrock AX hardtail on CL for $275, but made this guy a deal for $250. Only recieved text messages or emails from this "guy" (lets call him scott) saying he lives in Ohio, is on the sea off the coast of California and wants to buy it for his son, in Ohio. He wanted to do a PayPal transaction for a total of $500 ($250 purchase of bike, $150 I am to wire to his "pick up agent" and $100 for the money transfer fee, BUT with a little stipulation. He has the funds pending untill I come up with the $250 of my own money to go and wire $150 of it to Ohio, to his "pick up agent" so he can get a reserved date to have it picked up. Once I send the money AND this agent pick up the $150 and I email two different places THEN will I see the first money for this.

My Problem with this is, the buyer is going to have a $500 95' Specialized Hardrock in used condition when he can pick out a new 2012 Specialized or whatever with way better parts and in way better shape and have it shipped to his son's doorstep or to a LBS in the area to be assembled. When I asked speciffic questions I got a generic instructions email on how the money is pending and I need to pay $250 to pay dude in Ohio. He even told me that if the money doesnt clear then don't surrender the bike. How about the $250 I gave to Western Union? It is too easy for the "pick up agent" to probably be the dude himself looking to hustle an unsuspecting sucker for his/hers money. Asked repeatedly to talk to this person on the phone and posed the new bike theory as well, only to get generic responses that didn't even acknowledge my question.

I've delbt with Ebay about a dozen times and know how paypal works and its all good. But this just doesnt add up to me. What you guys think? Not putting out $250 to sell a bike for $250 and being the last person to get paid. think I will stick to Ebay.

Definitely a rip off, a scam, and a trap. I almost bit on a similar C/L thing when I was shopping for a used car. First rule- if it seems like too good of a deal. It is. I registered with Experian afterwords, just to be safe. Sometimes they're just fishing for enough info on you to try a credit card scam on your account. Report them, and run away.

JWM

I had one like this only I played the guy. I got him to send me his "check that needed forwarded to someone after I cashed it with the remainder of the funds" and took it straight to my local police station, they had a stack of them but they added it to the stack they actually caught the guy. A lot of times its the same guy doing all this and If you get enough of a paper and email trail you can track them down with enough work. Don't go through with this though I only did it cause they sent me a check no wire transfer was involved

heyslugger said:
chagovatoloco said:
Are you really considering this? :roll:

2nd that. :shock:

That would be a big NO. Kind of frustrating though and it's funny how the other buyers want to send a certified bank check and to have extra funds dispersd to "moving agent". I keep telling this person I am not sending you money and he keeps telling me that PayPal is waiting to hear back from Western Union to confirm i have sent the money, after I said it ain't coming like 4 times. So... anyone in the market for a 95' Hardrock AX harttail? :lol:

Even the message from PayPal looks "off" somehow. Pegged it as a scam and glad you guys see it too. Thanks.

I had a similar type of offer when selling my Road King. I can't believe there's people who fall for this crap. "Really, you're in England and you have people here in the states that buy Harley's for you, but for some reason they can't contact me, only you can? They can't just show up with the cash and take it? Alrighty then."

Just for fun, post his emails. If anything, those emails may help someone not get scammed. I would bet that they are full of typos.

It's such a waste of time dealing with those scum bags.

I had a similar situation happen to me once, with the "buyers agent ", when I sent them an E-mail telling them I dealt in cash only I never heard back from them.... funny. When you tell these people how you want to do the deal they just shut right up. 8)

If he's buying (scam) then why would he want you to send him money (scam). I was going to buy a motorcycle from a guy, found online before CL took off. Pics looked great, price was more than right. Guy lived in small southern town. Started down the "you send this amount to X...." road and I came back with "Brother lives near your small town (he actually did), he'll bring you cash...what could be better, right. Short story long.....no, no, no, won't work, I'm busy, can't take cash (?????). CL says avoid scams, deal locally. That said, I picked up a bike on Saturday found on CL. Met the guy, gave him the cash, left with the bike...simple. KISS....great thought when dealing on CL.

Road,

Definitely a scam as you know. Thanks for posting to help educate the forum as this sort of thing seems to happen all too much.

This is a VERY old scam that has been going on for a while now and I probably get 2 or 3 requests like this every time I list a bike on CL.

Just hit the delete button and ignore from now on.

I'm still waiting for this guy to pay up...... :(

prince.jpg

:mrgreen:

Yeah these people who try to scam others are stupid, they try to run "The same old scam" on everybody. It's like a story that happened here in Kokomo some years ago a guy tried to rob a Village Pantry and when tucking the gun in the front of his pants he shot himself in the crotch. :lol:

If you are trying to rob a place and shoot yourself in the crotch you just lost all credibility as a robber. They arrested the guy 15 minutes later. :mrgreen:

If He didn't offer less for It then It's a scam! Lol My parents get all kinds of BS phone calls/deals that only a fool would consider legit...

Latest posts

Back