J C Huffins Flightliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
So, I picked up this Flightliner just to harvest the fork. I had planned to part out the rest and try to break even leaving me with a free rat trap.

Then I couldn't resist building it up after I picked up a 1995 Huffy Catalina at a flea market yesterday. The Huffy has a 3 speed Shimano coaster brake hub that was too much to resist. So I'm morphing the two bikes into a J C Huffins Flightliner!

The goal is to keep it as low cost as possible and sell it as a rider instead of parts. If that doesn't pan out, I can always go back to plan 'A'.

Here's the Flightliner on the day I brought it home...

100_5689_zps4e0c5c42.jpg

Here is the preliminary mock up. I did a little experimenting with the paint on the frame and tank. The rear wheel is a junk wheel just to test it with. I'll have to spread the stays to get the 3 speed to fit.

100_5812_zps5bf0a476.jpg

Got everything put together for a test ride today. It actually rode much better than I expected. I really like the 3 speed, it has a good ratio between gears.

All that's left now is to decide how I should paint it. I might go 'old school hot rod' flat black and flames.
I'm also playing around with some ideas for a rack.

100_5816_zps9e71c846.jpg

Any suggestions on color?

deven_science said:
Much improved.
Thanks, it's getting there.

MplsCoaster said:
Nice! Like the golden tank, flat black might look really good with it...
The gold is a fade from bronze (hard to tell in the pix). I had planned to do the fenders that way also.

That was my first idea, but I'm thinking something more flashy like realistic flames on primer black might make it sell better.

Re: J C Huffins Flightliner ... Uh oh!

Oh no... I'm getting dangerously close to making this a full blown build! :|

This was supposed to be a quick flip bike but I'm getting more and more inspired to take it further. The problem is that I don't need another bike, and I had hoped to get my money back on it! Plus, I need to spend my time on other (more pressing) things right now. :shock:

100_5817_zps85ec9ba6.jpg

100_5820_zps8158129f.jpg

I'm liking the saddle on the rack supports. This is a cool NOS Troxel nanner in lime green, but I will recover it if I use it. I have three more of them so I won't feel bad about it. :wink:

Re: J C Huffins Flightliner ... Uh Oh!!!

At second glance the nanner is already growing on me. I really like how the rack forms a whacky sissy bar. The seat really flows cool with the backbone

Build on brother !! :wink:

Re: J C Huffins Flightliner ... Uh Oh!!!

Yeah, juncknutz, the flow is what I liked too.
I tried a typical nanner like the one in the first picture and it didn't work at all. I don't know what this one was made for, but it fits the space. It reminds me of a motorcycle seat.

Re: J C Huffins Flightliner ... question?

I would .... quickly :lol:

Guy on craigslist was selling a box load of similar designed seats for $1 a piece around here. 70's/80's aftermarket stuff I believe that never sold.

The Renaissance Man said:
Even the NOS parts are not protected around here! :wink:
:lol: Unless they are really, really, nice or have some historical value of course!

Luke.

Personally I like the seat the way it is, I'd paint the frame to match it and do some cool pinstripes to really make it pop. But that's just me.

I did consider that for a minute, but I don't think that the colors would look aggressive enough for the hot rod look I'm going for.

Also, recovering it gives me the opportunity to re-shape the bottom edge just a little for a better flow with the frame.

Got a little bit done on the saddle today. I removed all of the covering and the post bracket. Having the bracket out of the way allowed me to place it where I wanted it.

I actually took it out with the kids and rode it several miles like this, with the saddle just sitting in place, and it felt pretty comfortable. Of course that's a relative term considering it was not bolted down, there was no padding, and having it that low is harder on my knees! :roll:

Now that I can see how it fits, the next thing will be to trim the bottom edge (just a little) to better match the contour of the frame (on the front half) and the fender (on the back half). I'm just squeezing in a little work here and there as I can. No hurries!

I'm liking the flow...
100_5891_zps40216ee1.jpg

I love the flow of this beast! That seat looks mean like that. I can see how hammering that must be on knees though.

bigfatcat said:
I love the flow of this beast! That seat looks mean like that. I can see how hammering that must be on knees though.

Agree, the change in the seat color (wasnt feeling the yellow) and moving it forward really really makes this flow nice!

Latest posts

Back