J C Huffins Flightliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
milbums said:
bigfatcat said:
I love the flow of this beast! That seat looks mean like that. I can see how hammering that must be on knees though.

Agree, the change in the seat color (wasnt feeling the yellow) and moving it forward really really makes this flow nice!

Thanks guys, I still don't want to get too deep into this one, but sometimes it's hard to hold back. :)

The seat is really working so far. I've got an idea for tying the seat and the tank together (finish wise) that I'll get to later.

It's hard to get the feel from a picture, but looking at the profile from the birds eye view, it has a very cool hour glass kind of line to it that looks very smooth...

100_5893_zps3a541307.jpg

Very cool!
You can fill in the seat holes and seams with some Steel epoxy putty before you paint it.

Started on the tank.
After bead blasting all of the paint and rust, I used some steel epoxy putty that kingfish suggested to fill the horn and light holes. The metal is so pitted that I had already decided instead of trying to slick it up for paint, I'm going to cover it with leather to tie the seat and tank together.

My two color choices (as of now) for the leather are either black or tan. That will depend on the paint color and overall scheme that keeps changing from day to day. I'm thinking either primer black or primer brown which are both common hot rod choices. The black will break up the other color whether it's black leather/brown primer or black primer/tan leather. Plus, I keep thinking about realistic flames. :D I've got plenty of time to decide.

Here's the tank...
100_5899_zps7e38a6df.jpg

I reduced the coat to a leather pelt to see what I've got to work with.
There are some interesting seams that I'm planning to incorporate to give it some extra detail.

100_5938_zps36c3bc55.jpg

The color in this picture is more accurate than that in the first one.

Broke down the rat trap fork (not sure if I'll use it on this bike or not) and discovered that one of the rocker bolts is missing. I've tried McMaster-Carr and Fastenal with no luck.

Anyone out there got an extra one of these?
img_2795.jpg

For this fork...

100_5689_zps4e0c5c42.jpg

Personally not a fan of that stuff, would rather use undercoating if I had to pic between the two ...

undercoating ...
31951350051_large.jpg

vs

bed liner...
bedArmor2.jpg

Doesn't the undercoating stay soft like tar after it's applied? The bed liner is more like hard rubber after it dries.

My first thought was wrinkle paint like you would find on old electronic gadgets, but I can't find it locally. Maybe I should order some of it from Eastwood or somewhere else on the web.

Back