KCI's Recent Acquisitions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the feel of those Raleigh bars on an urban conversion. They had the touring thing dialed in
Agreed. Perfect balance of sweep to allow cranking out of the saddle and cruising. The touring bars that have no sweep are horrible for out of the saddle riding.

This was in the Big Score 2021 Pile. While waiting on parts for other builds, I decided to check this jive out more closely. Methinks the frameset chrome is restorable and I have the heat gun fired up to melt some stickers.

20211227_133231.jpg

20211227_135618.jpg

The model appears to be something from the following branding on the top tube of the frame, Team Murray 4000 Street Style Trick Bike and the downtube appears to just say Street Style.

Closer inspection during the sticker removal and cleaning up the frame revealed that the fabrication on this model was beefed up compared to Murray's offerings in the 70's and 80's. The under side of BB shell has one number stamped into it, "2". Searching around the interwebs for info on this bike is pretty slim pickings.

Still working on the frame, as those old, crusty stickers are harshed onto the chrome really well. Also, the chrome appears to be less smooth where the stickers were, similar to vintage full chrome road forks that were half-painted and the painted portions being less smooth for adhesion purposes.

The handlebars are done and cleaned up surprisingly well. They are probably going to go on a Schwinn Gooseneck eventually because the pinched crossbar makes that easy. An early 70's Sting Ray BMX conversion is closer to reality now...

The Murray BMX rabbit hole is largely void of this bike, but I learned a lot about their BMX team and the bikes they rode. It was no surprise to learn that largely over the years that Team Murray existed, many of their top riders rode re-branded frames of their choice instead of Murray's mostly fragile offerings. The only clue I can find so far on this bike is from a moped enthusiast website that declares 1977 was the year Murray introduced their BMX models:

Youth bicycle production received a boost with the 1965 introduction of Murray’s version of the small-tired, banana-seat, wheelie bike pioneered by Schwinn, the Murray Wildcat. The Wildcat was also styled by Schreckengost, who gave it his own interpretation of a chopper motorcycle, with high-rise handlebars, a tall sissy bar, and a flared rear fender. A series of models followed, including the Eliminator, Firecat and Hotshot. In 1977, again following a youth trend, Murray introduced its BMX model.

A 1977 Murray catalog could solve the whole thing...

It's not a '77, as they were all pretty much gussetted. The graphics are definitely mid to late 80s...and the MO7 serial was used for 1987 (the headtube sticker may even have the year on it...the cruisers did in '86/'87). It's not going to be one of their "higher end" bikes because it has pressed tubes attaching the dropouts instead of welded ones.

Man, that's clean. The arayas look mint! Look at the cassette, almost brand new!
The seller was the original owner. Someone sold him a bike that was one size too big, so he unwittingly never rode it much. It had that garage kept petrochemical film on it, so a full wipe-down was in order.

Stumbled into this and made a great connection for more vintage MTBs in the process:

View attachment 157159

View attachment 157160
All OE, except the saddle, tires and kickstand after having only one previous owner. When I bought my Sierra in 1986, if Anaheim Schwinn had a Cimarron or one of these in my size...
The shifters look like Suntour MTB handlebar units. If so they are super. I traded a bike shop for a set years ago and they are really good. I use the rear shifter with a Shimano 10 speed MTB Shadow derailleur. I bent down the travel stops and that shifter has shifted, friction, really well for many years now on a 10 speed cassette. I had a bike with the type of brakes this one has and was not impressed with their stopping power. However I've heard other people seem to get them to work well. You are finding really nice bikes out there.

The shifters look like Suntour MTB handlebar units.
Shimano STX Rapidfire 3x7

I do have afew sets of the Suntours around though.
I had a bike with the type of brakes this one has and was not impressed with their stopping power. However I've heard other people seem to get them to work well. You are finding really nice bikes out there.
Cantilever brakes are finnicky, but I'm used to setting them up so they work properly. This bike is getting Avid V-Brakes/Levers. He'll need modulation.

I thought you were referring to the Alpinestars, duh to me.

The Sierra has Suntour shifters and the crazy Rollercam brakes. Everything on it is OE, except for the tires. It's probably geting restored with an earlier model Sierra in similar shape next Winter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back