Kool fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saw this kool fork on FB. O'malleys speed n kustom is making them to your specs for $130 plus shipping. I'm trying to get more details

girderfork-1.jpg

girderfork.jpg

from the maker:

Its Adam @ O' Malleys. Glad you dig the girder. For that one setup for 26" and larger wheels, the truss' are 15 1/2" from wheel mounts to bottom of the head tube. The head tube length and diameter is based on your bikes needs, so many sizes are available so i have plenty of different sizes in stock. I made that one with square stock, round stock can be used and the fill in panel between the truss' is an option as well.

If that shock is too strong it will be like riding a rigid fork! I like the concept :D

Dorian said:
If that shock is too strong it will be like riding a rigid fork! I like the concept :D
Unless Im missing something it is a rigid fork. It looks like you could remove the shock and mount a light in its place

The real deal can be found...the legs are 1/8" thick pressed steel, zirc fittings at all the pivot parts.

12a12.jpg

12a13.jpg

angle looks funny but it fits a 26" wheel just fine and the bike sits properly.
12a14.jpg

dragnusa said:
Dorian said:
Unless Im missing something it is a rigid fork. It looks like you could remove the shock and mount a light in its place

Huh????
This design is not any different than any other girder fork in terms of rigidity. Properly set up a girder rides as smoothly as any modern suspension fork and probably turns better due to its superior lateral rigidity. Definitely not a rigid fork.

low~N~slo said:
dragnusa said:
Dorian said:

Huh????
This design is not any different than any other girder fork in terms of rigidity. Properly set up a girder rides as smoothly as any modern suspension fork and probably turns better due to its superior lateral rigidity. Definitely not a rigid fork.

Too strong a shock and it will behave like a rigid fork, most rear bike shocks have 400 to 800 pound springs on them witha lot of leverage working on them. still a Good looking idea worth experimenting on. It must have very short links?

Dorian said:
low~N~slo said:
dragnusa said:
Dorian said:

Huh????

Too strong a shock and it will behave like a rigid fork, most rear bike shocks have 400 to 800 pound springs on them witha lot of leverage working on them. still a Good looking idea worth experimenting on. It must have very short links?

That's kinda my point. Any shock suspended system can be over sprung/damped. Proper set up taking into account chassis and rider weight, and intended terrain will result in a smooth ride.
Many modern rear shocks can be locked up rigid for hill climbs and unlocked for bumpy descents.
As the picture shows a motor bike frame a 400lb spring may not be too far out. It really depends on the length of the links as you mentioned. Personally i would use a 300lb spring for starters and tune it from there. Or forgo the spring completely and use a fully adjustable oil or air shock.

A springer based truss fork looks good. I like the linkage/paralelogram better.

Is it just me or is anyone else struggling to see how these new forks can possibly work either?

The spring is connected at both ends to the same bar?

Am I missing something? Don't get me wrong, I love the look but cant see how they possibly work...

Luke.

Luke if I'm seeing it right the fork pivots off of the linkage at the bottom of the steerer tube the bottom of the shock attaches to the girders . The top of the shock to a bracket at the top nut of the steerer tube the girder tops past the lower shock mount are not connected to any thing it's just hard to see.

Latest posts

Back