ladies Western Flyer with ID tag

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This lovely lady has seen better days but the unusual tag on the BB made me wonder who made it. She sported a New Departure Coaster brake, no tires and some decent truss rods that she's donating to my '37 WF. The head badge has two rivets in vertical alignment. Normal chain (not skiptooth) and flame-swirl 44T sprocket. It's branded as a Western Flyer but I know they contracted work out to Cleveland Welding Co and others. It doesn't look like a lot of CWC bikes I've seen in the past and the ID tag seems to indicate some other firm made the frame. It had a Delta rocket style headlamp on non-peaked fenders as well, but no chain guard, seat or bars when I found it. The small bars seen in the tree picture had tiny Western Flyer grips but were from a kid bike or tricycle. The boxy thing behind the BB leading to the rear stays looks Monark like to me....

As near as I can tell with my poor eyes, the ID badge numbers are F2?05K and A0241840. It looks like some ID badges I've seen on small electric engines more than a bike thing tho....

Dave marko said:
That is a Monark built frame. If Phil comes on and says is isn't, I'll kill myself.

Post that on You Tube if you do I guess. lol.

That was my strong suspicion based in that box-y thing where the kickstand goes. My g/f actually has a nice 40s or 50s Monark. I guess I better compare the two... duh.

here's a similar frame on e bay, badged as a Monark and sporting the same style ID plate. fancy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1152701833

Looks like the serial number predates some Monark branded serials that are dated around 1952 that have been posted on RRB before. Does anyone have a serial number guide to Monarks?

Thanks Adam! It seemed like it was older than 1950s but not prewar... Bike ads usually feature the boys models and only show tiny illustrations of the ladies models. I haven't found the exact ones but I'm getting close.

Looks like the ladies models branded Monark were all blue but had optional accent colors.

Back