New Guy with a (Don't Laugh) Walmart Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
success! managed to fashion a better spacer. chainline isn't dead straight but like...it isn't falling off now.

'...... i don't have money. wait there's a ton of woven wire fence that we're literally going to throw out and that wire is bendable and the straight bits in each woven square are just about the right length....'

t's actually really neat how it turned out since i had to make the spacer large enough to fit but nto so large that it basically stopped the freewheel from spinning. i am not ready for fixie shenanagins .

Amazing what yo ucan do with fence pliars, a bench vice (helped me shape the thing into a better circle) and an intent to make it work.

Going to do testing tomorrow and if things work out i move on to the brakes, because taking the wheel on and off has been annoying given it keeps sticking on the brakes even when they're released.

Edit: On reflection i might want ot take the whole thing apart and inspect where the band is to make sure it is being held tight against the hub rather than mashing spokes.

Edit: Holding steady in spite of bouncing around. Feels real nice.

Last edited:
success! managed to fashion a better spacer. chainline isn't dead straight but like...it isn't falling off now.

'...... i don't have money. wait there's a ton of woven wire fence that we're literally going to throw out and that wire is bendable and the straight bits in each woven square are just about the right length....'

t's actually really neat how it turned out since i had to make the spacer large enough to fit but nto so large that it basically stopped the freewheel from spinning. i am not ready for fixie shenanagins .

Amazing what yo ucan do with fence pliars, a bench vice (helped me shape the thing into a better circle) and an intent to make it work.

Going to do testing tomorrow and if things work out i move on to the brakes, because taking the wheel on and off has been annoying given it keeps sticking on the brakes even when they're released.

Edit: On reflection i might want ot take the whole thing apart and inspect where the band is to make sure it is being held tight against the hub rather than mashing spokes.

Edit: Holding steady in spite of bouncing around. Feels real nice.
Take the remainder of the wire fence to your local scrap yard and get some free money for it. Free money to spend on your new bike.

Take the remainder of the wire fence to your local scrap yard and get some free money for it. Free money to spend on your new bike.
That's actually sorta the plan. Well technically it's my stepdad's scrap so it's getting reinvested in the farm. So like... That's why I didn't feel bad taking a few clips here and there.

But so far so good, smooth riding. Just have to sort the back brakes, but for now I'm i na stable spot. Legs burn so good right now.

Just cruise it around and have fun. You'll get a lot of experience if you keep it a long time, the rims will get wobbly and the brakes won't stay dialed in. Buy a spoke wrench and learn to tension spokes and true up the wheels, it will help a lot.

Consider any parts you buy are really for your next bike build, look around in your area for used bikes / upgrade when you're ready.

Latest posts

Back