New here, wanna post Koolness

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone confirm that Yeti indeed made these? I know there were a couple of manufacturers doing things for Schwinn for the Homegrown program. I've never seen one of these before, but quick research indicates that the 2001 was the best, the rest might be Taiwan made, and there were less than 450 of these made.
It has been added to my grail bike list. Imagine one in bass boat paint!

Thanks for doing that because I'll just say it... There are some real bags over there. I could give you quite the history on these bikes. Basically the very early bikes were Yeti built, the second run of them in early 2000 were manufactured in Taiwan and then later on down the road around 2005 they made them again in China and what's funny about that is there two different versions of those where one head that you break on the chainstays and and the other one had a v brake on the seat stays and it seemed those went to Canada and Australia and England and such. Originally they were supposed to be a Y2K Panthers but never arrived at the Schwinn bicycle dealers till 2001 so everyone calls them 01 Panthers but they're actually why can't a Panthers manufactured in 99 the second part of the first batch are from Taiwan. Easily identified because they have a 1 inch threaded steerer tube. The early Yeti version are 1 1/8 threaded steerer tube and as well as the 06 model manufactured in 05. None the less if you can get your hands on one of these they are all super cool and mine as is came out to be 20 lb on the dot.

Thanks for doing that because I'll just say it... There are some real bags over there. I could give you quite the history on these bikes. Basically the very early bikes were Yeti built, the second run of them in early 2000 were manufactured in Taiwan and then later on down the road around 2005 they made them again in China and what's funny about that is there two different versions of those where one head that you break on the chainstays and and the other one had a v brake on the seat stays and it seemed those went to Canada and Australia and England and such. Originally they were supposed to be a Y2K Panthers but never arrived at the Schwinn bicycle dealers till 2001 so everyone calls them 01 Panthers but they're actually why can't a Panthers manufactured in 99 the second part of the first batch are from Taiwan. Easily identified because they have a 1 inch threaded steerer tube. The early Yeti version are 1 1/8 threaded steerer tube and as well as the 06 model manufactured in 05. None the less if you can get your hands on one of these they are all super cool and mine as is came out to be 20 lb on the dot.
had a U brake* (typo)

Bass boat anything is ......., but I didn't want to hide the aluminum. I think when all the blue anno parts fade I'll polish them & blue anno the frameset 💎🤙

Great info...I was totally unaware of these Panthers. Will have to keep a lookout!

The censorship is intentional here, with reason. It is stated in the forum rules. The intent is, that the founder of this site wanted to create a family friendly space, so everything needs to stay pretty 'G'-rated.

I was totally unaware of these Panthers.
I'm Amazed!
Amazed.jpeg

I totally get it and I will and I will try to keep it clean.
All of these Panthers came black only with drag bars. Euro bottom bracket & horizontal rear facing drop outs. Early Yeti made frames have 1 1/8 sreerer & early Taiwan are 1 in steel tube. Later 2005 built for 2006 all have 1 and 1/8 steerer tube. The hand built Yeti is obvious by the welds (obviously not done by a machine). Also there are subtle differences in the bends on the tubing between early & late. I can tell you this though oh, they are all very light and awesome. They came with lugs on the front porch for a cantilever or V brake and loves welded to the chain stays for a you break on the rear or some export models had the lugs on the seat stays for a big break for cantilever brake but you won't see many of those here in the US. I might have a very grainy pic of one of those somewhere if I find it. It was never a concern of mine knowing I would go single disc on the rear. I went with a zoom HB 100 which is a hydraulic caliper but mechanically actuated via cable. I like it so far and with a 180 mm rotor is plenty to stop a 20-pound bicycle. Mine has a 31.8 mm seatpost clamp with a 26.8 mm seatpost I'm not sure about the others. Someone mentioned they were unaware that Yeti was building bikes for Schwinn back then but I'm sure others know this is true and it was pure and simply or limited numbers and stuff they wanted quick. Is it better because it's built by Yeti? Is the Taiwan frame better? Is the later 2006 model from China better? Who knows? I totally dig them because of the 1938 cantilever Style frame that weighs in with fork at about 6 pounds total. What do you do from that point if you're weight weenie or if that's not a concern it will wind up light no matter what. My bike personally would be a prime candidate for some sort of propulsion be it electric or gas. It weighs 20 lb and is very noticeable even with a 46 tooth front and 18 tooth rear feels like amazing lightness. The same gears on a steel Schwinn cantilever get tough at times Against the Wind or uphill but this one could even go down to a 16 or 17 rear or up to a 52 in the front. I like it the way it is because not only is it fast but it is also leisurely. If you don't like noodle then skip it but if ya want light/nimble...git 1.
$599 new & 200-500 used (cuz nobody let's um go) it's well worth it. I have another bone stock one in number 8 condition on a 10 scale also. If anyone is serious I would sell either one of these because I have one to keep and other projects that I could fund with that money. If you Road the one in the pics you would be in love, you can pull wheelies even with that steep gear because it's so light. That 46 / 18 is pretty much a fixie gear ratio and I keep up if not pass most of the hippies riding them LOL

Yes, in my opinion it is better by yeti. Handmade by those guys is better than the machine. The cantilever frame simply does not get mentioned in anything I've seen. I'm a little angry about it.

https://bonustomato.com/frame-manufacturer/yeti
I honestly believe they did a few for prototype purposes and I I read a higher up in Schwinn back then took a Panther to a race and won. Do ya think it was just a production model or a publicity campaign with special tools? Non the less, way kool. The info about the handful of Yeti's was passed along to me by a Schwinn engineer & vowed it's fact. I'm not sure how many or even how many made it into the public. Parking mine next to other y2k's is just a lil different. Mine: 1 1/8 steer tube opposed to 1" and also the welds/emblem that had obviously been there for many years. There are also subtle differences on the 06 model like the fork and even the way the chainstays are shaped. I have examined two 2006 model side by side and they were one month apart and even have subtle differences. The October of 05 flash 2006 model the chainstays are peanut shaped for a narrower Q factor opposed to the September built which the chain stays were just straight back. I have personally identified 5 different versions of this frame... two different Y2K models and three different 05 built 2006's. Again these are all very subtle and you would have to park them side-by-side to see the differences what yet they are all awesome in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20210729_140536.jpg
    20210729_140536.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 38
Yes, in my opinion it is better by yeti. Handmade by those guys is better than the machine. The cantilever frame simply does not get mentioned in anything I've seen. I'm a little angry about it.

https://bonustomato.com/frame-manufacturer/yeti
Lol, the aluminum Panther is rarely mentioned. With MTB geometry, light weight & the Kool factor...$599 msrp might have had something to do with it.

Latest posts

Back