New here, wanna post Koolness

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being critiqued and shunned on other forums I was told by a couple real decent people in private this is where I'm supposed to be. I'd like to post my latest and haven't appreciated and not ripped apart by self-proclaimed gurus. Where would be a good place to start posting on aluminum Schwinn Cruiser build?

Being critiqued and shunned on other forums I was told by a couple real decent people in private this is where I'm supposed to be. I'd like to post my latest and haven't appreciated and not ripped apart by self-proclaimed gurus. Where would be a good place to start posting on aluminum Schwinn Cruiser build?
Have it appreciated... Sorry about the typos

Aluminum Schwinn Panther w/MTB geometry. 7005 tubing, 71.5°/73° math, removable derailleur hanger, cable guides, track style horizontal rear dropouts, naked/raw.

Aluminum Schwinn Panther w/MTB geometry. 7005 tubing, 71.5°/73° math, removable derailleur hanger, cable guides, track style horizontal rear dropouts, naked/raw.
One of these gems?

2000_61.jpg

You can definitely tell it was hand built... The welds are not really what you would call uniform, but very heavy duty with great penetration. Yeti was giving Schwinn a hand on some of their stuff back then and if Schwinn dropped off a bunch of mandrel bent tubing and a big literally made out of two-by-fours and drywall screws Yeti accommodated them and made sure things were straight. It's actually kind of ....... when you think about it

A jig made from 2x4's*.
NOT precision but it's 7005 which is a Greek material because you can just let it air cool. Other aluminum's take certain amount of time and temperature on a schedule to cure. 7005 is easy to work with so later you can make adjustments relatively easy

By the end of this thread any of you that read it will be so schooled on these bikes you will realize and benefit from this shear awesome Madness a couple guys over there @ Schwinn back then were tryin to create. It was kind of the end of the road for Schwinn at that point and September 11th 2001 was the end of days for Schwinn as the United States based company. This 1938 Schwinn designed cantilever frame was then and still is the icon & they wanted to keep it alive even in full blown light weight racing form.
Anyone that owns one will tell you the same thing... It's a purpose-built beast and was delivered to the general public in 2001 as basically a RACE frameset you could ride home...more on that later.

Just think if Gary Fisher had 5 lb aluminum cantilever frame and fork to build his '38' Excelsior klunker???
Where would we be now?
"The history of MTB/BMX".
Hmm?

Latest posts

Back