Nylon wheel to remove rust from rims?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Latest project is a '59 Corvette FB Marketplace score. It's crusty for sure, but it's complete and cleaning up pretty well. In my Fresh Finds post, I mentioned that I cleaned a spot on one of the rims with a steel brush, and a couple of folks pointed out that steel can scratch the chrome and that a brass brush would be safer. So today I hit HF and stocked up on brass brushes.

But I'm lazy, and when I saw this wheel on the pegs, I had visions of an effortless wheel cleanup with an electric drill. Any reason not to use this on old Schwinn chrome rims?
20210907_202817.jpg

(tagging @Rustinkerer and @musclebikemadman who were in on that thread...)

I have never used one of those, I would think the bristles are not fine enough to get close to the spokes and into the knurling of the S style rims. I would give it a try, maybe it can clean the bulk and use the brass brush for the finer details. I'm interested in how it works out. I find like most things in life the best way is the old way.

Latest project is a '59 Corvette FB Marketplace score. It's crusty for sure, but it's complete and cleaning up pretty well. In my Fresh Finds post, I mentioned that I cleaned a spot on one of the rims with a steel brush, and a couple of folks pointed out that steel can scratch the chrome and that a brass brush would be safer. So today I hit HF and stocked up on brass brushes.

But I'm lazy, and when I saw this wheel on the pegs, I had visions of an effortless wheel cleanup with an electric drill. Any reason not to use this on old Schwinn chrome rims?
View attachment 172498

(tagging @Rustinkerer and @musclebikemadman who were in on that thread...)
No need for all that abrasiveness!!! You'll destroy what chrome is left. Take the guts out of the wheels, and soak the rims in white vinegar overnight... The rust will practically wipe off. I've got a round rubber tub that 20" wheels fit in, but 24 and 26" I have to tilt them in on their sides, and do about 1/4 of them at a time.

No need for all that abrasiveness!!! You'll destroy what chrome is left. Take the guts out of the wheels, and soak the rims in white vinegar overnight... The rust will practically wipe off. I've got a round rubber tub that 20" wheels fit in, but 24 and 26" I have to tilt them in on their sides, and do about 1/4 of them at a time.
or soak in wood bleach. add water fill a tub.. or some people not for me but some brush on CLR then let sit then hose it off.

WD+aluminum foil works great on Schwinn chrome and the alum is softer than the chrome so won't hurt it.
Oh, I've used aluminum foil to remove rust with great success. Handlebars, fenders, seat post, sissy, just about anything chrome. I'm just being lazy about having to work around the spokes. :bigsmile:

A metal brush has served me well for rims on a couple other cleanup jobs, but I think I used a steel one which I have since learned isn't good as it can scratch the chrome. I will start with the brass bristle brushes I just got at HF. Someone mentioned bronze wool in another thread, but on rims, that sounds like it'd be just as tedious as foil...

It's well worth the time and effort to unspoke the wheel before cleaning. On my most recent Schwinn (American), I went with stainless steel spokes for a blingier look. IMO, Schwinn would have used stainless steel spokes if they had been available because that would fit with their "Schwinn Quality" marketing program.

Shiny rims next to old oxidized zinc plated spokes? meh. All that work to remove the rust from the rims and the wheels still look lousy.

Once you have the rims clean, be sure to wax them asap to prevent the rust from returning. There are countless tiny pinholes in the chrome where the rust erupts from the steel underneath. Sealing up the pinholes greatly slows the process. I've tried clear paint to seal the rims but that is way too easy to apply too much. If you can see it, you over did it.

I use Quick-Glo. A very lightly abrasive paste with wax. Does wonders on old Schwinn Chrome. Probably the best product/method for lightly rusted parts.
https://quick-glo.com/which-formula-is-for-me/?v=76cb0a18730b
if the chrome is flaking off, it won't shine up again. Replating or chrome paint or chrome powder coat are options for really badly rusted rims.

I use a rubbermaid with the wheel jammed in diagonal. Filled with oxalic acid mix, very mild mix, you don't want to get a "water line" rotate them a few degrees while soaking. Wash the clean area with soap and water and wax. Dip it again to get the rest. Takes about 3 rotations.

The extra step to wash and wax just ensures the clean part is neutralized and doesn't rust while doing the rest.

I use a rubbermaid with the wheel jammed in diagonal. Filled with oxalic acid mix, very mild mix, you don't want to get a "water line" rotate them a few degrees while soaking. Wash the clean area with soap and water and wax. Dip it again to get the rest. Takes about 3 rotations.

The extra step to wash and wax just ensures the clean part is neutralized and doesn't rust while doing the rest.
oh yeah! I remember talking to you about the oxalic acid bath when I redid my black Ross Apollo. The whole writeup was on BMX Museum if I remember correctly. I haven't used it since, I should probably try it again...

Latest posts

Back