Rat Klunker (FINISHED! With 2 hours to spare!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Flat Junker => Rat Klunker

44de3ffd-2b41-c64a.jpg

Found this nice Deore headset for 1" threaded forks from an old Trek hybrid frame I had... cartridge bearings!

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Rat Klunker (Parts Arriving!)

What's up Funkman!!!????
Any progress?

Re: Rat Klunker (Paint-n-Polished!)

For those of you who are curious about the BB conversion, it went in pretty easily. I used a 4" bench vise to press in one cup at a time (making sure to cover the vice teeth with masking tape- 3 layers) and MAKE SURE you line up the holes in the cups before you press them in! Otherwise you will have to remove one, turn it, and press it back in. And no, I didn't do that! Just check twice, press them in once!

(EDIT) Also, make sure you install it with the cups on the correct side! A euro bottom bracket uses left-hand threads on the drive side, and right-hand on the other. You could theoretically run it backwards, but most Shimano BB's have plastic non-drive-side cups, so it would get trashed pretty quickly! Put the cup with the bolt heads on the LEFT side, and the cup with the threaded holes on the RIGHT side! (and no, I didn't do that either!)

Also hit it with another couple coats of flat black. The finish isn't perfect, there's a few spots I'm not happy with, but this is a Rat Rod bike! So I'm going to roll with it like it is. I picked up some Krylon X-Metal paint (in red of course) to give the bike some "color." Not sure if I"m going to hit the fork with it, or what... I'm tempted to paint the polished chainstays clear red, but they're so pretty! I don't know. Might do the stem and some other pieces instead. And just want till you see the chainring I ordered! You're gonna love it!

raceface_singlering_red.jpg

Looking sharp.
I am going to have to do one of those BB conversion one day.

Latest shot... still need the chainring, seatpost, cables, etc. and a few other pieces. Used Krylon X-Metal paint to tint the stem and seatpost, might do the chainguard too if I can find a decent one. Need to install the headset as well.

545554_4108901396782_1611306281_n.jpg

Last edited:

Diggin the red against the black.

Re: Rat Klunker (New Parts!!! 7/24)

Cool red goodies!!!!

Re: Rat Klunker (Almost a Rider!!! 7/27)

Okay, got the last pieces together to make the bike ridable. It's too hot to stay out for long, so I didn't take pics. Seat, brakes, cables, shifter, all in place. Now I have the rest of the week to detail it!

I know, I suck, but trust me, it's going to look great! Need to finish the chainguard and tank... ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Making a patten for the tank plate...
429d2285-395d-7f95.jpg

Cutting out the acrylic... going to get transparent red flames! Already did a test piece, going to look great!
429d2285-3997-45ae.jpg

I had this chainguard left over from my old OCC chopper... More transparent red flames over the chrome? Yes, please!
429d2285-3a47-382a.jpg

Hopefully I can sort it out tomorrow night and take some pics this weekend!
Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

I was wondering when someone would do that with those long OCC guards.
Looking good brudderman.

Latest posts

Back