State 650b Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told by an experienced mountain biker that was with us that I was probably pissing off other mountain bikers. Locking up the brake generates a lot less heat than slowing...so most the time I was locking up the brake to slow down, but keeping locked to steer through turns. So, I was told that I was tearing up trails and not making any friends of those behind me.

For light trail riding and urban bombing...coaster brakes are A-OK :thumbsup:
Bad Form, rutting up singletracks.

I got another email back from Seth at State bike. I asked him about the steel makeup of the frame and how much the frame and fork could handle. This was his response.

"They are going to be high-tensile, as for what it can handle we have yet to see one meet its match!

I personally own few klunkers and have not been light on them.

I treat mine like it is a big BMX bike, lots of jumps with it so far and it has handled it like a champ."

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I got another email back from Seth at State bike. I asked him about the steel makeup of the frame and how much the frame and fork could handle. This was his response.

"They are going to be high-tensile, as for what it can handle we have yet to see one meet its match!
Now I feel like buying one, just for S&G.
HUB.jpg

Do they have a warranty?

Ok guys. Looks like my SE is sold. Guy just has to come and pick it up. Which bike to get? 2012 Redline Monocog Flight 29r which has a double butted cromoly frame and fork, or the State Klunker? Here's is a pic of the monocog, same color.
I really like the look of the klunker, but I know the monocog is a better quality bike. I would be putting 8-10" bmx bars on the monocog if I got it. What say you?

520ab8849455573ca04497d215878d90.jpg

MONOCOG without a doubt if you have the dough. Do you know the weight of both bikes?
Not sure on the weight of the monocog, but the Klunker is 30.4 lbs. Maybe Rusty Gold Can shed some light on the weight of the monocog since he has one.

I sold my SE for $600. The guy with the monocog is asking $580. Is that too much? What's it worth?

Can't help on the pricing but the klunker is quite light for a high tensile bike and similar in weight to my kos kruiser. From that, I would assume the cromoly tubing in the kos would be thick wall and super strong.

Not sure on the weight of the monocog, but the Klunker is 30.4 lbs. Maybe Rusty Gold Can shed some light on the weight of the monocog since he has one.

I sold my SE for $600. The guy with the monocog is asking $580. Is that too much? What's it worth?

Mine is in the 28- 29lb range with the 2.3" tires. Standard Monocog 29ers around here run from $350 to $650 in good shape (aka never ridden aggressively). I've been watching for an affordable Flight for years, and the cheapest I've ever seen in a 350mile radius was $585...and I was on the bubble. That was long before the pandemic and the stupid prices that are out there now. If it's in good shape...that's probably on the low side of ballpark value.

Monocog is a genuine, no holds barred trail weapon. A single speed mountain bike, not a cruiser with klunking aspirations. Not saying that the State couldn't handle trail riding, but the Redline is more focused on that action, IMO

Latest posts

Back