Tires? Who do we like to replace OEM tires?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Belting blew out on my original Dyno 26" beach cruiser tire. Source for a quality replacement that looks good? Who do we like for cruiser tires?

I go with whatever used junk I can find, but a Dyno requiring style might look good in a pair of Vans Cult. They got style!

images (2).jpeg

It's 2022, I can't tell you about availability, but they are made in colors, camo, gum wall, even one that's reversed, black wall gum tread

Any tire as long as you can easily get it on and off the rim. Many new designs, especially tubeless ready, are impossible to mount unless you have a player like plastic lever. If you can’t easily get a tire on and off, it’s useless. This is not only my opinion, but also that of adventure riders and bike mechanics. I’m careful this way especially about choosing tires for solo adventure bush riding. It’s a pain even riding in the city if you can’t fix a flat. I had a set of new continental gator skins that I got at the thrift store. I imagine the person couldn’t mount them and put them back in the ripped up package. I couldn’t mount them either, and the rims were from a 1970s road bike, pre tubeless. I’ve never had a problem mounting tires until recently. I took them to the local bike shop and the young guy who mounted them had sore hands for 3 days. He was very careful and determined as the bike shop has an unwritten rule that if a mechanic makes a pinch flat while mounting a tire he has to buy ice cream for the whole staff. I hope I don’t get a flat on these. I‘ve had about 10 pair of various inexpensive white wall tires, different brands, and one ripped and separated where the whitewall met the black part. So far no problems with inexpensive black cruiser tires. Not much to worry about, but something to consider.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. It looks like the Duro's on eBay are the exact same tread as the original Dyno's I still have on the bike. I'd bet Duro was the OEM for Dyno back in the day.

I did find a pair of NOS Dyno Fireball 26" I might get as the seller offered me a .... good price.

I wasn't aware that Vans made bike tires! Cool, not sure that's the look I'm going for.

Last edited:
Cult vans are good. I have them on one of my bikes. Made by v rubber. Would look good on the dyno. S&M speedballs are excellent, very strong construction but a little heavier. 2.4 wide. Tioga power blocks. Super sticky and light. 2.1 wide. All of them are grippy, take 65psi or a little more so they roll really well.
06E40E0E-1F57-4885-8682-DDBAD2DEBA67.jpeg

F8539909-B928-4CAA-8675-832E3876F239.jpeg

I've got KK Super Slicks in flawless condition, also CST made NOS whitewall tires Goodyear pattern. Can sell both if you want ;)

I like the Schwalbe 2.35” big apple and fat frank tires, (and there might be similar tires without the reflective stripes by Vee rubber?).

I found that older Dyno Fireball treads ride kind of bumpy.

Last edited:
What ever tyre I can get my hands on but kenda have always been my best price verses quality them maxxis both of these brands are for my ss, fixed, custom, bmx and mtb needs and as for road bikes I go with continental or vittoria tyres

I run Kenda 838's on all four of my bikes ( cruisers and MTB's). I am 205lbs and I run them at 55lbs.
Because of their rounded profile, on the street only the center 3/4" contacts the pavement which makes them fast and smooth. When on softer ground, the whole 1.95"+ helps you not sink in very far. They are usually cheap, too. And for some reason, I have not had a puncture flat in 6 years...maybe I have been lucky. I usually buy them 4 at a time, and I have 6 new ones under the bed. Here is a link....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371569719911?epid=24011124903&hash=item568347fa67:g:9FUAAOSwvgdW3ezk
BTW...I cut all the little nubs off them when new. Use a small side cutter. A very sharp one, because there are over 400 on each tire...i counted them. lol
And they do come in gumwall, but I have not seen those for sale in a while.

Last edited:
Tires are getting too pricey, I run what ever i can find cheap on CL. Local shops don't stock anything in any size I run either, when they do, they want stupid money for them. It was cheaper to buy 10 pair shipped from Vietnam then to buy two cheap Kenda's from the LBS here.
I just can't bring myself to pay more for a bicycle tire than I do for a 3/4 ton truck tire.

I bought two later model beach cruisers for $40 last fall just for their tires. I never thought I'd be scrounging for good used tires for a bicycle.

Tires are getting too pricey, I run what ever i can find cheap on CL. Local shops don't stock anything in any size I run either, when they do, they want stupid money for them. It was cheaper to buy 10 pair shipped from Vietnam then to buy two cheap Kenda's from the LBS here.
I just can't bring myself to pay more for a bicycle tire than I do for a 3/4 ton truck tire.

I bought two later model beach cruisers for $40 last fall just for their tires. I never thought I'd be scrounging for good used tires for a bicycle.
Im in the same boat, buying whole bikes for a single or couple of parts, nz is expensive for quality bike stuff, when you pay over $100 for a single rubino Pro Road tyre, I'm all for supporting LBS's but when I just don't have the money i.e lbs have geax roadsters for $70 to $90 each but I managed to get a genuine PAIR off aliexpress for $45 delivered I would be mad not to, yes it took over a month to get here but worth it when you do the maths $45 versus $140 to $180, if I had disposable income I would go to the lbs more often but the reality is I can't, I've also noticed here in NZ that over the years accessories now only take up a small portion of shop space, it seems more important to sell that $5 to $10 grand carbon roadie to the middle age wealthy man/women than straighten a buckled wheel, don't get me wrong there are great bike shops here but it seems to be the way it's going now, I remember when every wall was covered in accessories now its only a small percentage, maybe its just me

Latest posts

Back