Two beach cruiser frames as mini-bike cruiser frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, new member here, and I'm really not sure where this should be posted so forgive me if this isn't the right place.

TLDR: I wanna take two identical beach cruiser bike frames and weld them together to make a mini-bike dragster/cruiser frame. Is this a terrible idea, and if so, why? Are there any better solutions that would have a similar result?

Background: As far back as I can remember, I've been into rat rods and motorcycles, though I've never had one of either. When choppers got popular, I was way into them, and then bobbers took their place both in popularity and in my heart (they're like rat rod motorcycles!). I can't remember a time when buying or building SOMETHING along these lines wasn't a bucketlist item. Recently, I discovered, and started planning on going to, Wasteland Weekend -- think Mad Max cosplay in the desert, including post-apocalyptic vehicles -- and the idea of building some sort of rat rod motorized bike just fit right into those plans.

So I started looking into motorized bikes... Of course, I'm a big guy (6 foot, 300+ lbs) and I'm worried that a little engine isn't going to be big enough to move me, so I began looking at the Predator 212cc and other Honda Gx200 clones. (I'd totally go for a Predator 420 / Honda Gx390 if there was room.) That lead me to mini-bikes; I don't love mini bikes -- they look fun as heck, but not really my thing -- but they're too small, IMO.

And that got me thinking... I really like the look of motorized cruisers, especially the stretched out cruisers like the Micargi Mustang, so why can't I take two beach cruiser bicycle frames and weld them together to make a mini-bike-ish frame?

Additional plans for this, sticking with the Mad Max feel, would be to make it a quadricycle using a trike conversion kit on the back and a DIY IFS reverse-trike setup in the front (probably adapted from a cross-kart).

As far as skills go, I don't have any, but one of my hot rodding friends is a welder by trade and another is a bicycle mechanic, and they're both down to help make this happen.

So, like I asked above... Is this a terrible idea, and if so, why? Are there any better solutions that would have a similar result?

Are you want them welded together so you have a double downtube/engine cradle?
Double downtube, top tube, seat tube, etc. Yeah.
If you look at an empty mini bike frame, you can see how the two sides come together at the head tube and then angle out to make the engine cradle; I wanna do exactly that, but instead of using the normal trapezoid shape, I wanna use bike frames.

Latest posts

Back