wide 26" tires?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to find a set of wide 26" tires for my build and am wondering, what's the widest 26" tire available? the widest i've found is 26x2.3 by electra. i love the fatti-o tread but don't want a 24" tire. any help would be great. guess i should double check the width of my rear seat stays too huh?

holy crap that crusier spider is friggin bonkers. i thought i might get something MAYBE in a 3" wide but 4"??? craziness. i highly doubt i could fit it on there. i'm probably thinking to wide than i could fit anyway.

i'm liking the maxxis hookworm too. i know it's not the widest like i wanted, but i like the tread pattern and might be a more realistic option.

thanks for the info though!

I used a set of 26x3.45 BOA-Gs on my Rust-DX.

390577_10150532500410278_118735470277_11370726_325275653_n.jpg

298587_10150532501420278_118735470277_11370738_2098851781_n.jpg

I've got 26x2.35 Fat Franks. Love them!

@udallcustombikes: exactly the look i'm going for. just re-measured the seat stays along with the fork and they're about 2.75" at the widest which wouldn't fit the 26x3.45 tires. how'd you get them to clear with? just get lucky? reason i'm asking is that fork looks darn close to the one i'm building with.

ratcycle said:
Where did u get those boa-gs tires?

I won them at the Midwest Bicycle Fest in September. They were donated by a small bike shop in Mount Hope, KS called Porkchoppd Custom Bikes. After I posted above I went to the 3G site to link to them but couldn't find them. Might have to call to get them.

udallcustombikes said:
ratcycle said:
Where did u get those boa-gs tires?

I won them at the Midwest Bicycle Fest in September. They were donated by a small bike shop in Mount Hope, KS called Porkchoppd Custom Bikes. After I posted above I went to the 3G site to link to them but couldn't find them. Might have to call to get them.
They are on the web site, go to showroom then at bottom of page go to parts then tires

not gonna lie, i'm a bit jealous that i can't fit them on the bike. with about 2.75" of clearance, no way they would without some mods. maybe next time. for now i'll stick with some 2.5" hookworms and have 1/8" of clearance :shock:

Sooooo 3.45 is the width of the tire correct?? I'm confused at how you can fit that tire in the space you show in the pic? Am I missing something?

cave12man said:
Sooooo 3.45 is the width of the tire correct?? I'm confused at how you can fit that tire in the space you show in the pic? Am I missing something?

It depends on the rim you use. A narrow rim (1.5-2")will cause the tire to be narrower than the 3.45, but taller in profile, a wide rim (2.5-3.5") will make the tire closer to the 3.45 measurement.

cave12man said:
Mine are mounted on a set of S2 wheels I didn't center up the tape measure very well. I have a set of hookworms also when I get a chance I'll go measure them too. I think the 3G's are just a little wider.

Good stuff, would have never taken that into consideration.

Yeah if you get a chance it would be great to be able to get that info before I spent the money. I'd really appreciate it!

As always you guys are a huge help!

Just for reference, about how wide are S2 rims? Tried to get some stats on them and couldn't find that number. Want to get as much info down before I throw up the moneys.

Also, is there a point where the rim is just too small for the tire? Where there is a point the tire may fail?

cave12man said:
I am confused as well! According to the tape, it looks like the tire is more like 2" wide or maybe just a little wider, but not close to 3.45". But I'm not that smart, so I may be missing something also.

Latest posts

Back