ΞTHE✪CLASHΞ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starts to sparkle round sundown..
IMG_3754.jpeg

Attachments

• de_tail.jpeg
    de_tail.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Any advice @metalchewy?
What axle size pegs are you looking for?
View attachment 232418
I've come full circle back to tapping my peg hole, but at this point I just want to understand why this is happening before I wreck a peg trying.

1. Are front axles a different size from the rear, (and why)?
My peg holes aren't changing size so the axles are different, yet one average nut fits all 3 wheel sets tested, front and rear, with no play.

2. Is this a common peg issue?
I saw video of other people's pegs having the same super wobbly fit up front till they're completely pressed against the frame or nut, and I've always had trouble finding rear pegs in-shop that fit, but I just assumed they didn't stock them. Now I'm wondering if it's a modern manufacturing mixup.. but that would mean everybody is tapping them, so that can't be, right?

My problem is, if all of my axles are the same 3/8 26TPI (on paper).. how can I choose a tap size? I'm in my last leg of the build and stuck on the small stuff.

Wow! Awesome work on ' skinning the banana' ! And very clever work on the RIT dye of the reflectors.

Everything is 'coming together'.....

View attachment 237322
Thanks! I really got lucky my first time using dyes. It's nice to know that anything plastic can be color corrected while maintaining the original shine or finish. Definitely opens doors to expanded design options.

Last edited:
Thankfully gettin down to the bits-n-bobs that tie it all together visually. Testing colors on the silver stem cap and spacer. Happy with the first try but I'll probably do it again.
test1.jpeg

Haven't redone the gold headset yet so it's still green.
test2.jpeg

Last edited:
I considered fronting on the hub color because the black is almost unnoticeable and masking seemed arduous but after much deliberation I ordered some Tamiya PS-47. The purple-pink is appreciated. The gold looks green and appears rusty brown mid transition but I just can't resist this witchcraft. I get to play in a few days. Clash and burn!

Set up the spraystation with my fancy new paint.
Spraystation_0.gif

Unless I took my time masking, spokes would have deterred my paint and I wasn't about to disassemble the wheel, so I went with Vasoline. Here it is before I removed it toward sunset. Pretty copper (or brown) looking (as expected).

Here it is after in evening light.

Nicer but most of the time people see it, it will be sunlit, so thats a bust. It was fun tryin.

Last edited:
With rain ahead I needed to tend to some repairs on my wet bike that I'd been neglecting. My spoke popping problem became too cumbersome so I decided to re-install my used Tannus on different wheels for the first time. I discovered that my spokes were different sizes. These were second hand wheels that visited multiple shops on the road. My fault for not knowing. Building my own wheels will continue to be my final battle, one I wish not take up any time soon.
different_gauges.jpeg

I pried most of the rectangular plastic "pins" out with a screwdriver tearing 3 or four holes. This is a worn 28mm rear tire and a 23mm front, less wear.
Ripped_Pin_Hole.jpeg

Found a sexy scar. I'm forcing it open so it looks worse than it is.
Cosmetic_Damage.jpeg

With all the pins in place it took less time this go-round than the first.
re_used_Tannus.jpeg

Rode it around. A few ripped pin holes didn't make a difference when they're fastened tightly every 3 inches. Ready for rain.

Down to the final paint and going a little stir-crazy, held back by another days promise of scattered thunderstorms.. only to receive mist. Feels like London.

"The ice age is coming,
the sun's zoomin' in
Meltdown expected,
the wheat is growin' thin
Engines stop running,
but I have no fear
'Cause London is drownin', I,
live by the river"

Last edited:
Cool work on the spokes, hubs , wheels! Make sure you include this photo on your Finished Build thread (they will become available in about a week, around July 1). This really shows off the details, which, even unseen by the casual viewer; you know they are there. That's what matters!

rideemhigh.jpeg

Latest posts

Back