☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. NEW THEME?

+1 on the tonka build
i used to love them things as a kid and had quite a collection
the yellow works too
sounds like you got a great idea there ive not seen a tonka build yet so you'd be the first far as i know
i also have thought if the side graphics would take away fro the frame design
i feel this bike needs to show all aspects its a true work of art and its looking amazing
keep it up Luke !!!
Sean

Tonka. Heck yeah! :mrgreen:

Thanks for dropping in and sharing views everyone!

I did a mock up earlier of the TONKA idea but was having issues with our computer not opening Flikr, so did not upload it earlier...

9127034458_b7df8cc81f.jpg

Also did one more, when I came up with another idea...

9127035766_88274f5c0a.jpg

Both ideas are cool, and I like them both, but I think I have come up with another idea with a more personal theme that I will probably run with, going to keep it under wraps for the moment, but will show you all soon! :wink:

Started planning for fitting up the rear stays today, due to the sheer size and weight of everything involved, plus the fact that I have to position a frame, 2 upper stays, 2 lower stays, 2 dropouts and a wheel with no jig, it took some brain power to work out how to do it, but talking through it with my dad "Big Jim" we came up with a plan... Going to build one side at a time over the top of the drawing and slot them through the frame plates so they join in the middle, that way lining up each piece can be done one at a time.

Hope to get it done tomorrow if my health is up to it...

Luke.

OneHorsePower said:
Nice work on this mock up 1HP! Really like the lines on those bars, might try that!

bean said:
I really like the idea of a black frame with really bright wheels.
This was the original idea, but the frame really took on a life of it's own, and is now a big part of the build, so I guess the focus has shifted slightly...

Thanks to everyone else sharing thier views, really appreciate it and they do help me focus on what is important, often when I have been staring at one part for so long I tend to lose sight of what the bike looks like as a whole, so really need the outside opinions!

Luke.

I like the personal theme idea as well.

Much more imagination and solutions as you go on this , than any holiday I've ever seen.
Must be a prize for build that has traveled the most miles before completion.

Glad to hear that your dad's involved in the heavy thinking to save you both some lifting.

This is a great inspiration to dig up some of the car mags and tyres that are in the shed and see where they can be put to use.

More likely to be side by side than in line as yours is, but I'll post pics if it comes together.

Love the way something so big looks in proportion to the individual elements.

LukeTheJoker said:
Pic for the new page, so I might get some more opinions...

9108479026_99e4d98f8f.jpg

Luke.

I think your sidewalls are too fat for some Cat products :lol:
006.jpg

BTW: Tonka Toys was started in Minnesota by Lake Minnetonka :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonka

I like how the truss concept gives a potentially large-look bike, strength and lightness through a cool design

Hey there LTJ just thought I'd wade in with my thoughts on the colours. The frame looks
so wild, cool and pops all by itself so perhaps the colour should be toned down. So how
about a bit of a steel theme, say steel grey or red oxide perhaps, in keeping with the
industrial bridge building sort of direction. Hey only my thoughts your bike, your baby
and might I add way cool she is as well!

Kroozerdave said:
I like the personal theme idea as well.

Much more imagination and solutions as you go on this , than any holiday I've ever seen.
Must be a prize for build that has traveled the most miles before completion.

Glad to hear that your dad's involved in the heavy thinking to save you both some lifting.

This is a great inspiration to dig up some of the car mags and tyres that are in the shed and see where they can be put to use.

More likely to be side by side than in line as yours is, but I'll post pics if it comes together.

Love the way something so big looks in proportion to the individual elements.
:D Thanks Kroozerdave! Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

MplsCoaster said:
LukeTheJoker said:
Pic for the new page, so I might get some more opinions...

9108479026_99e4d98f8f.jpg

Luke.

I think your sidewalls are too fat for some Cat products :lol:
006.jpg

BTW: Tonka Toys was started in Minnesota by Lake Minnetonka :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonka

I like how the truss concept gives a potentially large-look bike, strength and lightness through a cool design

Love that pic Steve! If I had seen that I might not have thought any further, just gone with the CAT theme! Happy with the new theme though!
The truss idea came out really cool, very happy with it!

Pushie Pirate said:
Hey there LTJ just thought I'd wade in with my thoughts on the colours. The frame looks
so wild, cool and pops all by itself so perhaps the colour should be toned down. So how
about a bit of a steel theme, say steel grey or red oxide perhaps, in keeping with the
industrial bridge building sort of direction. Hey only my thoughts your bike, your baby
and might I add way cool she is as well!

Thanks for the thoughts Pushie Pirate! At this point the main colour will more than likely be "International Orange" as suggested earlier, it also happens to be the colour the "Golden Gate Bridge" is painted... :wink:

Heading outside now to try and convince myself to attach the wheels to the frame, hopefully I have more success than I have the last few days...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
At this point the main colour will more than likely be "International Orange" as suggested earlier, it also happens to be the colour the "Golden Gate Bridge" is painted... :wink:

Heading outside now to try and convince myself to attach the wheels to the frame, hopefully I have more success than I have the last few days...

Luke.

:D YAY! :wink:

I also happen to notice that the LTJ in your avatar is orange... orange is good 8)

Glen said:
:D YAY! :wink:

I also happen to notice that the LTJ in your avatar is orange... orange is good 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Just an idea at this point, still a few others floating around too!
Denim Blue with International Orange wheels is another favourite...

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. PROGRESS AT LAST!

Actually got some work done today!
Started on the rear triangle(s) an awful lot involved due to the sheer size and offset curves involved, I will try and explain it as I go along...

One side cut and set for tacking together:

9131517379_f4b9763e8f.jpg

Cut the front curves to length and enough of the outer tube removed to allow the front ends through the frame plates:

9133785696_c5d86cd980.jpg

Next side lined up on top for tacking, really needed 3 or 4 hands for this bit, but managed somehow...

9131517425_0e43a72f38.jpg

Holes drilled in the frame plates ready to slide the tube centre support bars through:

9131517495_b9f080ba9f.jpg

Dropouts cut and ready to tack in place: (There are those Aussie safety boots again!)

9131517563_4a7ddaa0ea.jpg

Dropouts welded:

9131517631_9a018a8463.jpg

Did actually get it all mocked to the frame with the wheel on, but burnt my thumb on one of the dropouts in the process and forgot to get a picture between icing it and packing up for the day... :oops:

Hoping to finish the aligning and weld it all up tomorrow, will get pics when that happens.

Luke.

Great looking rear triangle. Safe travels and hope the thumb heals a bit.

Maybe you should keep your eye out for some model trains while you head down the road.

6920.gif

Lowlife Lucas said:
Nice work!
Thanks Lucas!

kingfish254 said:
Great looking rear triangle. Safe travels and hope the thumb heals a bit.

Maybe you should keep your eye out for some model trains while you head down the road.

6920.gif

That is a cool idea King!

Luke.

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/26/135150942 ... ntal-color

"WHAT IS THE COLOR FORMULA FOR THE UNIQUE INTERNATIONAL ORANGE COLOR USED ON THE BRIDGE?

Many people ask about the formula for the Bridge’s unique International Orange paint color. Paint stores can mix it with the following information:
CMYK colors are: C= Cyan: 0%, M =Magenta: 69%, Y =Yellow: 100%, K = Black: 6%.

The closest existing color codes to the International Orange color formula are PMS 173 (CYMK = 0%, 80%, 94%, 1%), PMS 174 (CYMK 8%, 85%, 100%, 34%) and Pantone 180 (CYMK 19.4%, 77.9%, 79.6% 3.6%).

When purchasing paint for the Golden Gate Bridge, it is done through a competitive bidding process. Currently, the paint is supplied by Sherwin Williams and is made to match the Bridge International Orange color formula. The closest off-the-shelf paint color that Sherwin Williams has available is "Fireweed" (color code SW 6328)."

Interesting because I know there is at least one bike for the BO being painted Fireweed.

Wow! That is some good information there Kim_Dude!
Thankyou for sharing, now I can get it mixed to suit if I have trouble finding it!

I did find it on a Dulux colour chart though: (Sorry about the fuzzy photo, this new phones camera is average to say the least!)

9135967792_5cbc7f44c4.jpg

Luke.

Normal international orange is MUCH brighter than the shade used for the Golden Gate, which is more of a rusty orange.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. REAR END MOCKED.

Got some pics of the rear end mocked up:

9140355089_10c26a0ce2.jpg

9140355137_e2e59290e7.jpg

9140355197_e8e2d6b712.jpg

Sorry about the plants in the way, needed to find a flat piece of concrete!
It looks a little long and wide at the moment, but it looks right with the seat mocked in place.

Also got the chain out and set it up to make sure I have enough, got plenty as it turns out!

9142732232_24d69e1a27.jpg

9142732270_7cd22861e6.jpg

9142732332_6cd24a1406.jpg

9142732370_6a254c7ed3.jpg

Luke.

Back