☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. BAR DECISIONS?

I like 1HP's concept, if you drilled holes in orange parts and made a pivot point at the bottom, the bars could be adjustable to match your riding 'mood'.

Being an ex-Architectural student, I REALLY dig the style you've got going on.

Keep building!

Cheers mate,
Dr. T

LukeTheJoker said:
:shock: I think you are spending more time thinking on the bike than I am! :lol:
Nice idea, I like it!

Luke.
yeah maybe to much time :? i just love putting my ideas on paper/image and your bike is inspirering

Sorry about the lack of progress guys and girls, having trouble getting motivated to do anything and my health is not making it easy to get motivated either...

I had some really complicated forks planned that would have looked good but decided were too much work, probably going to do the drilled style ones now.

My Dad offered me the use of his hobby lathe to turn up some mounting plates for the big sprockets and the new brake disc that is coming, turns out it only has a 2.25 inch throw and I really need a 3 inch throw to clear the plates, so my day going to collect it from the workshop and set it up at home was wasted, but these things happen sometimes! Have to work out another way of mounting or pay to get some plates made...

With only 4 weeks left and my health the way it is and moving on from Darwin in just a week or so, I am starting to get the feeling it is not going to get done, sorry to those who have been following but I should be able to finish it after the build off is over, once we are home and I have recovered a bit.

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Sorry about the lack of progress guys and girls, having trouble getting motivated to do anything and my health is not making it easy to get motivated either...

I had some really complicated forks planned that would have looked good but decided were too much work, probably going to do the drilled style ones now.

My Dad offered me the use of his hobby lathe to turn up some mounting plates for the big sprockets and the new brake disc that is coming, turns out it only has a 2.25 inch throw and I really need a 3 inch throw to clear the plates, so my day going to collect it from the workshop and set it up at home was wasted, but these things happen sometimes! Have to work out another way of mounting or pay to get some plates made...

With only 4 weeks left and my health the way it is and moving on from Darwin in just a week or so, I am starting to get the feeling it is not going to get done, sorry to those who have been following but I should be able to finish it after the build off is over, once we are home and I have recovered a bit.

Luke.
Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I'll still be following the build regardless of when its done :wink:
Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8.

Thanks Lucas! :)

Did a bit of a rethink and simplify on the forks and bars and will try accomplish something tomorrow to get it back on track, see how we go...

Luke.

I hope you feel better buddy 8)

Take it easy, Luke... your health if far more important than getting the bike finished in a certain timeframe. I'm like Lucas... with you till it's done no matter when that is. 8)

Cheers mate :D

Im glad you likes the V shaped bars idea. Take the time you need to get better all of us are following you because we want to see the bike done, we don't care when its done. If you make the buildoff deadline great, if not no big deal you will still have one sweet bike out of it.

Glen said:
Take it easy, Luke... your health if far more important than getting the bike finished in a certain timeframe. I'm like Lucas... with you till it's done no matter when that is. 8)

Cheers mate :D

+1
I'm following this "long strange trip" until it ends, even if that's post RRBBO8!
Get better my friend!!!

Thanks everyone! Appreciate it.

Going to try at least have a rolling/riding bike for the judging, may not be sanded and painted or have some finishing touch's, but it would be nice to finish to at least some extent! :wink:

If my health continues to play up I will probably just pull out and enjoy watching everyone else's builds scramble for the finish line! :mrgreen:

Hope to update with progress tomorrow,

Luke.

I vote look after the health first.

It is a very long drive to be trying if you are not up to scratch.

You will probably come up with a few more solutions along the way or parts to make it outstanding when it does get finished.

LukeTheJoker said:
Thanks everyone! Appreciate it.

Going to try at least have a rolling/riding bike for the judging, may not be sanded and painted or have some finishing touch's, but it would be nice to finish to at least some extent! :wink:

If my health continues to play up I will probably just pull out and enjoy watching everyone else's builds scramble for the finish line! :mrgreen:

Hope to update with progress tomorrow,

Luke.

Mate look after yourself, I reckon what you have done so far is a winner,
I'll probably struggle to finish mine with other more important things to
get done as well. Hey remember to keep the whole thing in context it's
only some bits of steel and a couple of bits of round shaped rubber!

Stay well!

Like the other guys have said, look after yourself. The bike will get finished, maybe just not for this build-off.

Man, I understand your wanting to finish the bike. It was tough deciding to postpone mine also. This one has been epic! You'll get it done in your own time. Don't rush it! Get yourself well first.

Another ratter summed things up to me a while back with this thought..."In the end we are all grown men playing with bicycles."

Jim

Thanks for all the kinds words people! :D
Appreciate your thoughts and comments!

It appears simplifying the plans slightly gave me just the boost I needed, whipped up these simpler but still not simple fork legs this morning:

9203860323_339ceb909d.jpg

Having a late lunch now and hope to start on joining them up soon, might even have a rolling bike by this evening! :shock:

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. Progress: WE HAVE A ROLLER!!!

Thanks Lucas!

Update: We have a roller! :D
Dropouts made and mounted:

9206392327_ab1323555a.jpg

Forks on the bike and bike rolling!

9206392489_802269e497.jpg

9206392413_a78f88f815.jpg

You will have to ignore the open-unfinished ends on the triple tree mounts, did not get them finished off yet.
Had a sit on it and a roll around, pretty hard without handlebars on but it is already clear that a firm hand on the bars will be needed when turning! :shock: :lol:
I will have to brush up on my counter-steer technique, been a while since I have needed it! Should be fine though with the bars I have planned...

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. Progress: WE HAVE A ROLLER!!!

It's a Steam Roller alright!
SWEET!
I knew all that sickness talk was just for sympathy votes. :wink: :p :mrgreen:

Back