☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker - DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker Competition (progress pg 4)

I love the Klunker fleet idea, I have a bunch of bikes in various stages of completion just haunting my basement and garage, maybe I should finish a few and bum around town with some of my friends... Anywhoo Klunkier I looks great!

I'm pretty sure you are the only member to ever build a different bike than your build off bike in your build off thread. :lol:

A to the D to the D. :lol:

Critter1 said:
Shove a piece of copper pipe down in the to block the hole and weld er up! You know the weld won't stick to the copper..

I was going to suggest that. Good call, Critt.

Rat Rod said:
I'm pretty sure you are the only member to ever build a different bike than your build off bike in your build off thread. :lol:

No, JakeSensei build about 5 last year.

Nice foundation. Look forward.

Rat Rod said:

Throw an "H" in there and that is my actual diagnosis. :oops:

Tomorrow... errr... today :? being my day off, I stayed up late and did a little work on the frame.

First, that pesky hole in the seat tube. I don't have a bunch of copper pipe around, but I have aluminum. This piece fit in the seat tube, but it was too tight, so I sliced it:
null-33.jpg

Now it fits and is tight against the back of the hole, so that when I weld it up, no slag will get in the seat tube:
null-32.jpg

Done!
null-31.jpg

These actually came out pretty easily:
null-30.jpg

So I used a wire wheel on my angle grinder followed by sandpaper to clean the frame for paint. After sanding I wiped it down with acetone and then went over it with the propane torch to burn off any little particles left and I've found a warm frame takes the paint a little better.
null-29.jpg

I didn't try to get it all down to bear metal, there is some old paint holding on, but since it's held on for 77 years, I think it will be fine:
null-28.jpg

Self etching primer:
null-27.jpg

This dropout was bent and someone had tightened a wheel a little too tight, so I bent it back and ground down the damage before paint:
null-26.jpg

While waiting for paint to dry I reassembled my stem, I cleaned up the aluminum clamps and painted the stem in hammered finish black.
null-25.jpg

I was going to put my first (of 3) color of paint down, but I didn't want to rush it, so I did some fine sanding and tack cloth and left if to cure overnight.
null-34.jpg

Re: ☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker Competition (PRIMER PAGE 5)

First coat of paint, flat black. 2-3 more coats of different color before clear coat.

I'm not telling y'all what I'm doing just in case I screw it all up and have to just go with a solid color. :lol:

null-35.jpg

Peatbog said:
That frame looks cool in black. I like the three color idea too. That should add some "kick."

However, I am a bit disappointed in your cat so far.

Don't worry, she's on the prowl. :wink:

I happen to know what the color plan is and I'm sure you'll pull it off!
Looking sharp!

kingfish254 said:
I happen to know what the color plan is and I'm sure you'll pull it off!
Looking sharp!

Thanks Princefish (sorry, I'm just tired of calling you the king) :lol:

For those of you still tuned in, I just wanted to share a basic tip. I've found that during the build-off many builders share tips, tricks, and secrets that they use when building. I have benefited from many of these and wanted to share one. Notice in the last photo how I have hung my frame. I just inserted an old mountain bike stem into the seat tube and tightened it up. Now you can hang the frame without using strings or anything else, plus this gives you a handle and the turn on the stem allows you to move the frame without touching your fresh paint. After painting I hold the stem and remove take it off my work stand and hang the frame by the stem from a nail in a rafter in my shop.

I've hung frames with strings, with cables, the stick through the head tube trick, but this is by far the best for me.

stemount.jpg

That really is a good idea! Thanks for sharing! I kind of feel silly now never thinking of doing that.

erichitscar said:
That really is a good idea! Thanks for sharing! I kind of feel silly now never thinking of doing that.

In the same category, if you weld, you can weld an angled back seat post to a stem and you have a new seat post that you don't have to have a post clamp for, so you can cut the top of the seat tube off level with your top tube for a nice clean look.

! love the frame hole fix and paint hanger! thank you very much for posting them!

Troy

jats said:
! love the frame hole fix and paint hanger! thank you very much for posting them!

Troy

No problem, this community is all about sharing.

Now I'll share some more future Klunker fleet members.

null-36.jpg

deorman said:
Mmmm, bomber bones. 8) Oh, I'm boycotting the K-word. :mrgreen:

Come on, you know you want to say KLUNKER!

Looking good Justin, nice job on the seat tube patch up, you have no shortage of build off fodder that's for sure !!! Looking forward to some more paint :!:

Back