☣☢ VerBoten ☠ϟ - Elgin Twin Evanaction Build - Big Butt Strikes Again!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, it's getting there a bit at a time. So many smaller parts, there is a bunch of hurry up and wait on the paint. Had to strip and repaint two parts. Also occasionally there have been blemishes or paint fubars that I have had to address. I don't forsee any issues making the deadline, but I don't think I'll get final pics until this weekend. Luckily I can ride my bike to photo locations all over the city.
Quick follow-up question to my "paint stripping" topic earlier. Do you have to use a "cleaner" to get all the stripping chemical out of the nooks and crannies before your primer coat? Like an isopropyl alcohol rub down or something?

Quick follow-up question to my "paint stripping" topic earlier. Do you have to use a "cleaner" to get all the stripping chemical out of the nooks and crannies before your primer coat? Like an isopropyl alcohol rub down or something?

I typically wash heavily with water and then rub down with mineral spirits or paint thinner. They make "after wash" products for strippers as well. If you have never used chemical paint strippers before, be VERY CAREFUL. This is some nasty nasty stuff and it will burn skin, blind, poison, etc.

I typically wash heavily with water and then rub down with mineral spirits or paint thinner. They make "after wash" products for strippers as well. If you have never used chemical paint strippers before, be VERY CAREFUL. This is some nasty nasty stuff and it will burn skin, blind, poison, etc.
Thanks. Yeah, I have stripped wood furniture before using Zip Strip, so I'm aware of the dangers. Thanks for the clean up hints. I figured there was something that needed to be done to help the new primer / paint stick to the steel after being stripped. Hope you have another dry evening to continue on das VerBoten!
:thumbsup:

Got the final coat of white on everything. Started working on turquoise racing stripes

WP_20150727_20_41_01_Pro.jpg
WP_20150727_20_54_01_Pro.jpg

Most of the taping came out fine. I'll have to do some tweaking to some places, but not much.

The suspense is killing me—put this thing together! :D

I can't yet, she still ain't ready. getting close to assembly time though. With all of these shroud on this bike, you have to install them first before you can install the cranks or the fork or the bars,,,,,,,,,

GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS
Well I got a incredible package today. I love my PHAT Lepper Primus saddle, but when I saw the color and quality of the Bob U restored Troxel longspring, I had to have it. We did some cool horse trading and were off to the races. I couldn't get to the shop fast enough to see it next to the frame. The color is awesome with the turquoise.

WP_20150728_19_01_42_Pro.jpg
WP_20150728_19_02_01_Pro.jpg
WP_20150728_19_02_15_Pro.jpg

So that's the GOOD news.

The BAD NEWS is, I don't think I am going to be able to use it. Because of the fat and unusual laidback seatpost I have it won't fit without widening or scratching the undercarriage of the seat. If this was a beater seat, no problem. But this thing is pristine and powdercoated. I am the 3rd RRB to own this and we all have been too chicken to break it in. It's just THAT NICE!!! I still have a couple of ideas, but I have to move forward with the rest of the build. My Lepper will do in a pinch :p:D

Last edited:
Carried on with the other parts of the build.
I can't mount these pieces yet but I had to see how they looked.

WP_20150728_19_43_46_Pro.jpg
WP_20150728_19_53_16_Pro.jpg

Then taped up the guard for its turquoise accent.

WP_20150728_21_19_53_Pro.jpg
WP_20150728_21_39_30_Pro.jpg

Then taped up the soup can grill for paint

WP_20150728_21_30_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20150728_21_43_48_Pro.jpg

Then checked out what the fork was gonna look like

WP_20150728_21_49_14_Pro.jpg

Decided to polish up the aluminum fork jets

WP_20150728_21_58_58_Pro.jpg
WP_20150728_22_24_09_Pro.jpg

Then added turquoise accents to compliment the bullet accents on the fork shroud.
WP_20150728_22_33_41_Pro.jpg
WP_20150728_22_36_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20150728_22_45_21_Pro.jpg
WP_20150728_22_46_44_Pro.jpg

Carried on with the other parts of the build.
I can't mount these pieces yet but I had to see how they looked.

View attachment 12252 View attachment 12253

Then taped up the guard for its turquoise accent.

View attachment 12254 View attachment 12255

Then taped up the soup can grill for paint

View attachment 12256 View attachment 12257

Then checked out what the fork was gonna look like

View attachment 12258

Decided to polish up the aluminum fork jets

View attachment 12259 View attachment 12260

Then added turquoise accents to compliment the bullet accents on the fork shroud.
View attachment 12261 View attachment 12262 View attachment 12263 View attachment 12264

Incredible detail. This build is going to be an over-the-top beauty.

Mmmmmm...mmmm...is this ever looking good!..:thumbsup:

I was just checking out that seat last night in the for sale section. Awesome seat. Hopefully you can figure out a way to use it on there eventually.

Back