TRADITIONAL ⚡️⚡️⚡️THUNDERBOLT⚡️⚡️⚡️

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the skirts buttoned up in the back, which centered the tail of the fender. Finished off with some nice acorn nuts. 🌰
IMG_5778.jpeg

IMG_5779.jpeg

I’m calling this one done. My wife convinced me that I have done enough on the tank and doesn’t really need the extra touch. I passed on the decal idea since it was a bit “corny”. I will revisit the punched metal idea down the road. I got the 3 speed housing re-attached the the cable. I used solder and JB weld to create the tip. Just solder originally didn’t hold. Down the line I will get a small spot weld on it to ensure stability. I over tightened on of the tank mount screws and cracked the area that was holding the threaded insert. So I got the JB weld out and reattached a new insert. Tomorrow I will give it a quick shot of paint, mount the tank, attach the 3 speed cable and head out for pictures. I tried a headlight and a my favorite handlebar ornament. The bike said no. I am happy with what I accomplished, having not touched the bike for the first two weeks of July due to illness. I am excited to go for the ride and photograph tomorrow. I have some places I love that I will visit. Sometimes just a solid wall is all you need.
IMG_5787.jpeg

One thing I find appealing is when lines, contours and shapes repeat themselves, but in different forms. An example of that is found in the Sachs Torpedo hub and the spring retainer on the stem. I tried to bring that element in with my tank build. I achieved the representation of the skirts, but fell short in attempting to add a feature that matches the chain guard.
IMG_5791.jpeg
IMG_5792.jpeg
IMG_5775.jpeg

One thing I find appealing is when lines, contours and shapes repeat themselves, but in different forms. An example of that is found in the Sachs Torpedo hub and the spring retainer on the stem. I tried to bring that element in with my tank build. I achieved the representation of the skirts, but fell short in attempting to add a feature that matches the chain guard.
View attachment 275570View attachment 275571View attachment 275572
Ties in with the stitching on the saddle as well. I really like the saddle, by the way. Nice piece, looks great all shined up

I’m calling this one done. My wife convinced me that I have done enough on the tank and doesn’t really need the extra touch. I passed on the decal idea since it was a bit “corny”. I will revisit the punched metal idea down the road. I got the 3 speed housing re-attached the the cable. I used solder and JB weld to create the tip. Just solder originally didn’t hold. Down the line I will get a small spot weld on it to ensure stability. I over tightened on of the tank mount screws and cracked the area that was holding the threaded insert. So I got the JB weld out and reattached a new insert. Tomorrow I will give it a quick shot of paint, mount the tank, attach the 3 speed cable and head out for pictures. I tried a headlight and a my favorite handlebar ornament. The bike said no. I am happy with what I accomplished, having not touched the bike for the first two weeks of July due to illness. I am excited to go for the ride and photograph tomorrow. I have some places I love that I will visit. Sometimes just a solid wall is all you need. View attachment 275563

This really is a beautiful bike. It is so clean; "brand new" off of the showroom floor. One (of several) things I like is the cleanliness of the build, the subtle colors that work so well together, and yet has the knobby tires which gives it some edginess to it to let people know that it means business. Well done......md

Ties in with the stitching on the saddle as well. I really like the saddle, by the way. Nice piece, looks great all shined up
I didn’t think about the seat tying in as well. I’m glad I cleaned the seat up. You could tell how drab it was when on a freshly painted bike. Thanks!😎
This really is a beautiful bike. It is so clean; "brand new" off of the showroom floor. One (of several) things I like is the cleanliness of the build, the subtle colors that work so well together, and yet has the knobby tires which gives it some edginess to it to let people know that it means business. Well done......md
Thank you! My wife had the same sentiment as yours. I was really unsure how everything would play together. I appreciate the kind words. 😎

That's a pretty good start to put it mildly.

Your frame is just like my 42 Hawthorne, made by Snyder. The serial number on the BB has the year and place it was made, in reverse. Mine was 24 EH, Michigan City, Indiana 1942. 14 SN would be Little Falls, NY 1941.

I don't have that bike but I have the Hawthorne chain wheel, skiptooth chain and the early Bendix coaster hub that was on it when I got it. No rim. I have the fork but it's not straight enough and too long to ship.
View attachment 263911

They could fit in a flat rate box and be shipped when I visit Hawaii at the end of June. Maybe we could make a deal.:bigboss:
Hey @Wildcat i never really found an actual serial number on this bike. I found an 8 on one of the stays and an H on the bb. Since as you stated, a person would need permission to have a bike made during this time, would it have a full serial number? Thanks for all the info you have already given me. ✌🏻

Here is the Thunderbolt all tidied up and ready for photos. Here are a couple of photos, before it’s even been ridden. So a shake down ride and photo session all in one. I will be out all day. If none of my photos turn out decent, at least I have these. I’m packed with some touch up paint, brushes and tools for a day out photo shooting. Just a few around my apartment and nearby places. Then off to Lakewood Heritage center for some shots. And any other place that catches my eye.
IMG_5796.jpeg
IMG_5797.jpeg

one feature I like about this build, is the ability to change the look and riding position by easily flipping the bars. I feel the way I have it, it’s more of a “race” position. Flip the bars for a cruiser vibe.
IMG_5796.jpeg
IMG_5796.jpeg

Back