πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁 - BO17 Build Journal - Finished in 3rd Place - 1937 Uncle Stretch Colson XLWB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
July 18th Name Change Update
While I started out with a build name of The Bike From U.N.C.L.E. STRETCH, it was more of a placeholder.

Bike From 【U.】【N.】【C.】【L.】【E.】.....【STRETCH】 that is..- 1930s Stretched Colson

I don't want to lock into any theme associated the build name, so I am changing it to

πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁

since, Uncle Stretch designed this from a 1937 Colson frame as a guide. Also Colsons had some larger version frames that have been nicknamed LWB (Long Wheel Base). Well this one is much longer than those, so I am considering it a XLWB model.

1651413878170.png

PLACEHOLDER
I'll fill in more info later when I have time. Queenfish and I are about to leave for Italy in celebration of our Silver Anniversary. So, I won't be starting my build until June.
My plan is to use the early @Uncle Stretch frame that I scored. I can't tell you how cool it was to get this and to do the detective work through early RRB threads to track down the history of it. Uncle Stretch actually built this originally for his nephew Steve (RatRod), the founder of RRB. This frame was made by him in early 2008 and is meant to be a stretched clone of a 1930s Colson.

For now you can see details on my score and links to the old threads here:
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/uncle-stretch-colson-clone-stretch-3.115316/
As far as my build ideas on this, they are limited right now. No, I don't plan for it to be a secret agent bike, that is just a temporary name I thought of that had the word Uncle in it :D . I've got to wait until I get back and start pulling out the parts pile to see what works and let the bike tell me what it should be. I really don't have any definitive plans yet, just some vague ideas of what might be cool.

1651415321950.png

Last edited:
Placeholder for Parts list (to be filled in later)

Found this old Uncle Stretch graphic in the RRB archives

1651450271506.jpeg

@kingfish254 , digging up cool from the RRB archives and bringing a master class in RatRodBike History 17.0 !

If memory serves me, Uncle Stretch was the name of a builder from the early days?

@Uncle Stretch was here in the early early days 2007/2009 of the forum and was Steve's uncle. (Steve of course was RatRod, the founder of this forum). Uncle Stretch aquired his name partially because he was Steve's uncle, but also because he started building these stretched pedal forward frames with no bicycle experience prior to the forum. He kept building frames until around 2013 or so when he retired. His work was ahead of its time and everyone coveted the chance to own one of his frames. I'm not sure, but I would wild guess that there are only about 10 to 20 Uncle Stretch frames out there (and @ind-chuckz has been hoarding (I mean collecting) about 5 of them). It's worth looking back at his work via the links I posted above or this link.
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/search/324927/

If I am not mistaken, there have been quite a few frames that have been allowed in Class 1 over the past few years where the frame wasn't a "factory" frame but was one that the entrant bought. It didn't even cross my mind that this frame would be an issue. I'll look back in history and see if I am correct. Then I will post up on the discussion thread to get everyone's opinion. I could always switch to this factory Ruff frame or my factory TSP frame, but I would rather bring back a piece of RRB history. Let me do some research and post up to the broader group. Like I said, I won't be able to start any work on this until June anyway.

1651501564294.png

1651501354555.png

Last edited:
I'd vote for going with the uncle frame. It's a finished frame, built by a well known builder (at least to forum members of the early days, which doesn't include me). So I would consider it as an equivalent to a factory built frame as long as you do not intend to modify it.

I'm not giving the King a single hint this year. I've learned his tricks, just put up a bunch of different configurations, and let everyone else design it. Lazy slacker, probably going on vacation while the rest of us are building his bike.

Seriously though, I'd rather see the Uncle Stretch bike built, for the culture! It is the best one for the forum. We need to respect our own history.

I would say you should keep it here. At one point Uncle Stretch looked into having this frame reproduced. So, it’s an almost production frame. Having owned a couple of his frames I’m really looking forward to your build. I’ll send Uncle Stretch the link to your build too.

I would say you should keep it here. At one point Uncle Stretch looked into having this frame reproduced. So, it’s an almost production frame. Having owned a couple of his frames I’m really looking forward to your build. I’ll send Uncle Stretch the link to your build too.

I remember seeing that in my research on the old posts about these frames. I believe he was trying to line up production of this Colson stretch frame style down in Mexico. I've chatted with him a couple of times since I scored this frame. He still rides the first one of these Colson frames, but he did a wicked looptail modification a few years after he first built it.

I figure move ahead with the Uncle Stretch frame, and if somebody withholds their vote because they disagree, that's the risk you take. I figure my frame choice last year kept a few people from voting for it, but I am still happy to have built the bike.

Yes, that is how stuff like this has been discussed before. Traditional style builds are typically going to get more votes because they match the culture and style that has built up here on RRB. There are broader genres within the custom bike world. Your build last year did an awesome job of bridging those cultures. I draw inspiration from many of the genres as well. It's quite fun trying to blend some of the newer custom stuff within the RatRodBikes vibe. That is part of why I have always enjoyed your builds. They are rarely one specific style or mix of parts.

I'm not giving the King a single hint this year. I've learned his tricks, just put up a bunch of different configurations, and let everyone else design it. Lazy slacker, probably going on vacation while the rest of us are building his bike.

Seriously though, I'd rather see the Uncle Stretch bike built, for the culture! It is the best one for the forum. We need to respect our own history.

You have me figured out. :D I am just providing teasers to have other generate ideas for me to steal (I mean borrow) :D . This way I can relax with some vino and limocello while others do the hard work for me. :D

There is soooooo much cool custom bike history buried here on RRB. I strongly suggest that people dig back into it. There is a ton of inspiration back there. A lot of what we think is new, has already been done. Check out the Buried Treasure gallery in my signature. Also, check out the galleries from previous Build Offs.

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/categories/rrb-build-off-competitions.100/

Kingfish its good to hear that frame will get a little use. I think I built 4. I did build the front to one
and had my wife's relatives in Monterrey Mx see if they could mass produce them. The price was
right but they couldn't get the size tubing I used, even though it said made in Mexico all over it.
I kept that front for a couple years then bent a looptail for it. Its one of the three I have kept. I
don't ride them but kinda figure they are artwork. So till I die they hang in the garage. Once my
wife decided to move us to an above 55 community with a large house on a small lot my bike
building days were over. I did it just to show people they could build a custom frame in a few days.
Good luck with your build whatever frame you use

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 39
Kingfish its good to hear that frame will get a little use. I think I built 4. I did build the front to one
and had my wife's relatives in Monterrey Mx see if they could mass produce them. The price was
right but they couldn't get the size tubing I used, even though it said made in Mexico all over it.
I kept that front for a couple years then bent a looptail for it. Its one of the three I have kept. I
don't ride them but kinda figure they are artwork. So till I die they hang in the garage. Once my
wife decided to move us to an above 55 community with a large house on a small lot my bike
building days were over. I did it just to show people they could build a custom frame in a few days.
Good luck with your build whatever frame you use
1651609243548.png

That looptail is a beauty!!

Great to hear from you @Uncle Stretch !! Thanks for the more detailed info. I had thought that the looptail was a remake of your first Colson, it's cool to know the complete story. The design is still timeless. I think part of what we all enjoyed about your builds was the fact that we could see what was possible in our own shops. I have to say that it was a blast doing the detective work digging though your earliest posts and seeing your progression with the prodding of Steve's dad. All of that was before I knew about RRB, since I didn't start rolling around here until 2011.
Hope retired life is treating you well. I hope to be trying that out in a year or two. I leave for a long vacation tomorrow, but I plan to have fun with your stretch Colson when I return.

Latest posts

Back