TRADITIONAL 🅵🅾🅾🅻🅸🅶🅰🅽 - 1930s Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1716504716762.png

Waynes World Yes GIF

Going by that ad, my first bike was a used 24" Sonic Scout back in 1963. The other 24" Evans didn't have the big luggage rack. I remember the red and white stripes on the fenders.

I think the light bracket takes away from the look of the springs so it should go. The seat springs mimic the fork springs so I think it's a good choice.

I remember the red toolbox, but not the shim for the seat post. It's been over 10 years ago.

Glad the ad helped you see your old bike.
Yes, the light/horn bracket will definitely be removed.
The shim wasn't in your old toolbox, but that was the first place I looked.
Looks like it was January of 2014 when I drove down to get all of your leftovers and a few bikes too. That was a fun trip.

You've got a lot going on up front. The Columbia guard really balances out the back with the front, IMHO.

I'll keep that in mind (and OJs comments) as I move forward. Thanks

While rummaging through my stuff, I ran across these bread pans that I've had for years thinking I would make.a tank out of them or something. Couldn't resist mocking them up behind the seattube. Not gonna use them, but you never know until you try.

I really don't think I will put anything in this space, but if I do I feel it should have some curve to it. Otherwise it distracts from the beauty of that sweeping curved seattube.

20240523_150123.jpg
20240523_150033.jpg
20240523_150040.jpg

Last edited:
While rummaging through my stuff, I ran across these bread pans that I've had for years thinking I would make.a tank out of them or something. Couldn't resist mocking them up behind the seattube. Not gonna use them, but you never know until you try.

I really don't think I will put anything in this space, but if I do I feel it should have some curve to it. Otherwise it distracts from the beauty of that sweeping curved seattube.

View attachment 266919View attachment 266920View attachment 266921
Put it horizontal, and make a double-sided chainguard 😉

Different votes for each of these chainguards. "Pee Boy" hasn't made up his mind either, but he is ready to celebrate Memorial Day.

20240523_140733.jpg
20240523_141427.jpg
20240523_142347.jpg

Different votes for each of these chainguards. "Pee Boy" hasn't made up his mind either, but he is ready to celebrate Memorial Day.

View attachment 266962View attachment 266963View attachment 266964
From that angle, #3 looks amazing. However the bottom edge fights the lines of the frame. If you cut out the red cheese-grater portion (I know, blasphemy), that guard would look bananas on that frame.

If you're opposed to chopping guard #3, I'd choose #1 or #2. I prefer #2 (as the design sits) but can see the potential of adding other components for weight balance if you choose #1.

Back