TRADITIONAL 🅵🅾🅾🅻🅸🅶🅰🅽 - 1930s Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty cool. I think the red accents could tie in nicely. Definitely adds a different balance to the bike. I could go either way. 🥸

Thanks, I appreciate any feedback. Don't want to jump down a rabbit hole.

Here is a crude paint mock of the right side. Of course it would be the colonial red. Maybe even some red accents in the vented area.

Screenshot 2024-07-23 133755.jpg

Well, here goes nothing. I have a set of spare wide fenders from my fat Michael Blast Greaser bike, so the fit the tries we'll. First serious mockup fits well. Meshes well with the chainguard and the frame.

What fo y'all think of the flow?

View attachment 274275View attachment 274276View attachment 274277View attachment 274278View attachment 274279View attachment 274280View attachment 274281View attachment 274282View attachment 274283View attachment 274284View attachment 274285View attachment 274286View attachment 274287
I like that the flare of the fender matches the flare of the seat pan as well.

Thanks, I appreciate any feedback. Don't want to jump down a rabbit hole.

Here is a crude paint mock of the right side. Of course it would be the colonial red. Maybe even some red accents in the vented area.

View attachment 274291

That actually looks pretty cool. If those skirts were rough I’d be tempted to drill speed holes in them to play with the land speed hot rod theme. But they’re too nice. Maybe some bare metal accents?

That might be too much white. I could paint them where the only white was the vent scoop area is white.

Screenshot 2024-07-23 133755 E.jpg

Or the vent area and the stripe

Screenshot 2024-07-23 133755 F.jpg

Last edited:
Found a fender and it turns out to be the original fender to the bike.

1000023538.jpg
1000023540.jpg
1000023541.jpg

Keep natural patina on rear fender. Maybe just tone down the colors on the skirts without the mustard treatment. Vinegar / water mix to dull the new red a bit.

I like that the flare of the fender matches the flare of the seat pan as well.

I can see that. But I don't like how far it extends beyond the skirt tips. I don't want to cut this new fender. I'd rather save it for my stash.

That actually looks pretty cool. If those skirts were rough I’d be tempted to drill speed holes in them to play with the land speed hot rod theme. But they’re too nice. Maybe some bare metal accents?

Speed holes are cool, but I don't see them with this build. Some bare metal might be a good way to blend with the chainguard. I'll keep that in mind as I mock this idea up more.

I like the red w/ white accent, stripe, and integrated red fender.

Thanks. In the marked up pics I like that as well. but we'll see how it plays together

And, I wouldn't go overboard with the faux-tina treatment. Just try to get all the tins to look similar to the tank. It's a lot less 'ratty' than the frame surface.

That was my initial thought as well. I'm not so worried about matching up with the tank (it's paint is too nice to match). But I want something that flow well with the bike. I am thinking contrast, but flow. I don't want everything to be just like the frame either. Many time with fauxtina builds, there is so much of the same that it no longer looks like random age and were. I want to find a balance.

Keep natural patina on rear fender. Maybe just tone down the colors on the skirts without the mustard treatment. Vinegar / water mix to dull the new red a bit.

Hard to say yet with the fender. Right now I have the fender braces in PB Blaster. I'll only be using about half of the fender. There are huge swaths of bare areas on this fender. I'm not ruling out painting the fender just yet. I just won't know until I have it where I can do mockups with it. Then I'll also have a better feel on how it mates with the skirts, both mechanically as well as paint and patina schemes. Hope to know more the second half of tomorrow since I am busy in the morning. Thanks for the ideas!

Using that original fender is perfect. Going look great and even out the balance of the bike, front to back. 💪🏻

Thanks, balance is going to be the key. Both the visual mass as well as what color scheme and patina level.

First day in about a week that we didn't have an afternoon thunderstorm. Took a break from the build and went for a ride with my friend after dinner. First ride on the Electra Relic 3i that I scored. What a great riding bike. Cool looks too.
20240723_194442.jpg
20240723_194432.jpg

V

Got the fender braces removed.
Then i did a little massaging with my cobblers anvil.
The fender is the same width and peak as the newer fender..

1000023556.jpg
1000023557.jpg
1000023558.jpg
1000023559.jpg

Either end of the fender fits well.
As I suspected, neither end has quite enough paint left to balance anything out, color wise or patina wise. To me, it just wouldn't make sense to have the contrast be between the fender and the skirts. The whole fender-skirt assembly should be more consistent. It is more natural for a fender assembly to contrast with the frame.
So what I am saying is, I am going to repaint the fender and have the skirts blend with it. I won't be using the little bit of og paint that is left.
I'll be cutting about half of this for the back. Whatever is left over, I may test for a stubby front fender.

EDIT: I reserve the right to change my mind on my above statements. :D :D :D I'm sitting here studying the photos and also staring at the whole build. So my thoughts on this section are currently in limbo. :D :D

Rear half

1000023566.jpg
1000023567.jpg
1000023568.jpg
1000023569.jpg

Front half

1000023570.jpg
1000023571.jpg
1000023572.jpg
1000023573.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT: I reserve the right to change my mind on my above statements. :D :D :D I'm sitting here studying the photos and also staring at the whole build. So my thoughts on this section are currently in limbo. :D :D

Back